PDA

View Full Version : "rock" question...

TeeFM
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 05:59 AM
Just wondering if I can use any rock for my discus tank or it needs to be some kind of special rock. I guess my question really is - are there rocks that might be poisonous in the tank and release toxic substance?

vishy
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 10:33 AM
Most rocks will be fine as long as you can can the difference between the sandstones/limestones and such that will buffer your water and the other rocks which are fine. Although talking about rocks holding poisons someone I know just discovered something very interesting about the gravel they were using(it is widely believed this gravle was inert) he found it was slightly porous or whatever it's called and could hold substances inside itself like carbonated, irons and others :shock:
Matt

kalebjarrod
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 10:58 AM
corrct me if i am wrong but i am sure you should use a sample piece of rock and some vinigar in a small bowl

if they have a slow fiss reaction it means the rock will harden your water and it a better idea to leave it out

can someone confirm this :?

vishy
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 11:00 AM
Yes your right but I think when i tried that the vinegar was too weak of an acid but usually you can tell.
Matt

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 12:53 PM
Remember that the Amazon is a river, so any rocks in there would be rounded and worn smooth.

Sharp rocks with rough edges are not good in a discus tank. It's too easy for them to sustain severe damage if they take a fright and decide to dash thru the tank.

I personally prefer a nice piece of driftwood.

JMHO

TeeFM
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 09:52 PM
I have 3 good pieces of driftwood (relatively large) already. I just wanna have some variety as my tank is bare bottomed. Any other suggestions that I can leave in my bare bottomed discus tank?

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 07, 2005, 12:44 PM
Decorative pots filled with gravel and a nice plant added look good in a bare tank, as do plants attached to the driftwood, like java moss, java fern and anubis. Just tie them on with some cotton or fishing line till they become established.

You can still have the planted look, even in a bare bottom tank. :P

vishy
Wed Sep 07, 2005, 01:32 PM
You know whats awesome if you can find/afford it?! Petrified wood(sorry about spelling) its fossilised wood or something like that looks stunning,
Matt

TeeFM
Wed Sep 07, 2005, 09:40 PM
I have got some anubias and planning to get some java moss and java fern. Any other plants I can attach to driftwood or rocks?

kalebjarrod
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 08:31 PM
Crypts will grow on your logs but need a higher light source :wink:

sammigold
Sat Sep 10, 2005, 12:13 AM
I have some large pebbles spread throughout my tank. they were originally given to me by a friend who had a pond and had bought coloured pebble/rocks then decided lime green was too over the top... the thing is... when in the tank they dont look as gaudy as you think.... I've attached a picture and you can see them in the bottom right hand corner. I have mainly used them to hide the potted part of my plants as I only have a very thin layer of gravel not deep enough to really keep plants rooted (except my java fern somehow I managed to plant that and it stayed) Driftwood is my main feature and the pebbles are all rounded as Ladyred said you dont want sharp edges. HTH to give you some ideas

lesley
Sat Sep 10, 2005, 08:23 AM
I have put some what I think are "conglomerate" type rocks, I imagine from our area they will have iron, quartz in them - the fish love pottering around them, I have had no problems.

I think that the limestoney type rocks could affect your pH - if you see a rock that you like, how about putting it in some water and testing pH, hardness, etc before and after??