PDA

View Full Version : ageing setup

Benny
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 10:53 AM
Having been inspired by Mattzilla's setup, i went about doing my own sort of idea...!!

The tanks: 95G Display tank
& a 40G Qt tank

The Apparatus: 1x 220L Food grade barrel
1 x Aqua One 300W stainless heater
1 x Aqua One double outlet air pump (SR-7500) with airstones
7M of 18mm ID (internal Diameter) Hosing
Acess to various PVC fittings, and 40mm piping
A 20 Yr old Diswasher we found turfed on the side of the road (YES A DISHWASHER, READ ON!!!)
Otherwise, little to no money
A Very dear mate that happens to be nifty with a Lathe!!!

The Issues I was faced with:
A) No money, which tends to be limiting in this hugely expensive hobby of ours!
B) My 95G tank (the main tank i set this up for) is actually on the first floor, no ensuite or taps near by!!!
C) I have no confidence in fititng a bulkhead to a barrel
I hear you all asking... How the hell does a dishwasher help with WC's???

Simple!!!

It contained, a seriously powerfu transferl pump (low pressure high volume) that was still functional, it is a half horsepower split phase pump..!! :P:P (we tested it at 2400lph through the 7M of hose)

Now 2400lph doesnt sound like much eh? Considering the restriction the hose places id assume at 0 head its more then twice that output without the hose.. But so far as far as my head height testings have gone, it doesnt loose all that much oomph @ 4.5 - 5M head height, so it is pretty darn strong!!!

We encountered an number of problems with the pump. Namely:
a) the windings of the pump are exposed, ie you can touch it when its live and get a mighty big ZAP
b)it has a second impellor built into the back of the housing!!!
c) the first impellor housing (which we intended on using) actually allows water to flow into the second impeller housing!
d) the main impeller that we used, had a second outlet on it!!!
e) the main output of the main impellor, had a strangely large output, with unusual thread shape on it!!!..

How did we get around these?
a) we made a housing for the pump! We used some scrap stormwater pump we found!!!.. We then proceeded in manufacturing on a lathe plastic brackets that hold onto the pump with hoseclamps (no pics, soz) and then perfectly fit the diameter of the pipe!!! We also made a back plate, to hold a little dongle thingo connected to the shaft of the motor!! We drilled ventilation holes in it, and it was turned up on a lathe to fit the ID of the pipe! See Pic 0449 We made a wooden foot, from treated pine and oregon to stop the pump rolling around too!
b) We heated some plastic 20mm pipe up, stretched it over the input and output of the second impellor, and hoseclamped it onto the housing, this way what water gets in circulates, saving the mechanical seal from a fairly early death, and no loss of water othewise, or compression issues! See pic 0450
c) The method in b solved this issue too (my ingenius thinking :P)
d) My Mate, beautifully turned up on a lathe, a nylyon plug!!! We then slid an origina rubber connection to the outlet over it, and double hoseclamped it onto the second outlet..!! See pic 0451
e) This is where most of the engineering work went!!! Firstly the thread is known as an "ACME" thread, an angled face, and a flat back, if you look at the thread side on its like /| sort of shape!! Having made the thread cutter, we then turned up a piece of nylon that fitted into the outlet of the pump, we cut the acme thread into one face!!!

We then bored a hole thru the center of it, standard 1" hole!! We then cut a standard 1" gas thread on the inside of this hole!!! On the other face, we milled a hexagonal face on it, so we can tighten or loosen it with a big Shifting spanner if necessary... Wit the 1" Gas thread inside, i bought a brass Nipple fitting (it has two threaded ends). We were able to easily screw the brass fitting into the the nylon adapter we made, and screw the adapter into the pump!!! Why 1" gas thread? Well we then screwed a standard 18mm Hose fitting onto the end of that, and i can now with ease connect and disconnect outlet hosing from the pump!!! See pic 0448 in next post!..!!

Now for the intake of the pump, as i didnt want to drill the barrel, the intake piping is all 40mm, with a 40mm pool footvalve fitted to retain the syphon in the intake piping when the pump is off... Look at the pics to get a better idea of what i mean... Ill post up more piccies and info when i can be bothered LOL...

tell me what you guys think?

Ive also included a piccie of the impellor, to give you an idea of the beast of a pump im working with :D

Cheers,
Benny!

Benny
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 10:54 AM
the other pics

Benny
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 10:57 AM
a pic of the setup in its trial phase

I have a video of it running too if people are interested,

BTW soz about pic quality, its from my new fones camera

jim from sydney
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 11:41 AM
Good stuff Benny

DR.V
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 11:46 AM
That bended hose (04-07-04_0450.jpg) wont reduce water flow ???

Benny
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 11:57 AM
That hose, is simply blanking off an unused impellor, there are two separate pumps within the one pump....

The fact its bent makes no diff, cos the its connecting the intake and outlet of the pump anyways, therefore not pumping anything in the first place..

Mattzilla
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 12:08 PM
wow!!!!

looks like you have done well mate

very inventive

Benny
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the kind words all...

Next stage, the electrics :P

kalebjarrod
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 10:34 AM
Nice work benny

who needs money when you have second hand dishwashers!