PDA

View Full Version : discus constipated?

sammigold
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 09:16 AM
Hi, I mentioned on a previous thread that my blue diamond wasn't eating and seemed to be hiding. Well I have been keeping a close eye and thought he doesn't look right. Ie. He seems to be a bit bloated in the stomach area. (I tried to take photo but you cant really see it) Anyway just before about 10mins ago he had a huge explosion of poo and he looked like he was having some sort of seizure. He was breathing really heavily and sort of quivering in the one spot then he did a big flicking motion then back to the quivering. Whilst this was happening he seemed to be doing a poo which was very powdery like small flakes as well as some larger bits. His colour went dark and his eyes. We have removed him into a tank by himself but don't really know what to do now. He seems to be a little bit on a slant rather than completely upright. His colour is back and his eyes are really orange as they should be. Any ideas on what this might be. Can discus get constipated? could this be what it is? Can you fix this? Ps. all our other fish are fine. No new ones added.

nicholas76
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 10:24 AM
sammi

blockage can occurr for many reasons.

if it is simply this can i suggest the following.

Utilise rock salt!!!

this will help relax the fish and it will work like a laxative.

i have 4 ft x 18 x 18 and usually apply about an hand full. and my temp is 30. deg

turn of the tank lights as this will help it relax further in my experience.

good luck

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 11:32 AM
Sammi are you feeding mainly a dry pellet diet to the fish. Perhaps add a little frozen brine shrimp to their diet, at least once a day.

The extra fibre works on the fish, just the same as it works on us LOL

Severe cases of constipation can be treated with epsom salts at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 40 litres of water.

It sounds like a simple digestive upset, so I do think your could return your fish to the main tank shortly.

nicholas76
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 12:54 PM
in relation to good fibre

live brime shrimp is perfect for this!!

sammigold
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 12:39 AM
Thanks guys.. We feed them two different types of pellets and flakes and also beefheart (not too often maybe once a week) Will look into obtaining some brine shrimp. Put a teaspoon of rock salt in with him last night and he seems to be doing well. Nice and upright, no quivering or anything... so think I will put him back in the main tank this afternoon. Just to keep an eye for another couple of hours. Thanks for your help and suggestions.. I was panicking a little even though I sort of could tell what I thought it was. Its nice to have the support.

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 02:07 AM
I'm glad everything's back to normal Sammi.

We're always here to help :P

sammigold
Wed Sep 07, 2005, 07:19 AM
Bought some frozen brine shrimp. The others love it. He didnt openly go and eat it. But I'll give him some time as I think he is still a little stressed over the whole episode... Thanks again.