PDA

View Full Version : My pair who dont have a clue

Proteus
Sat Feb 21, 2004, 12:02 PM
Thought I would share some pics of my pair, that love to lay eggs, fertilise them, then make them vanish within 3 days...

:cry:

http://www.mollyman.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=317

http://www.mollyman.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=318

Mattzilla
Sat Feb 21, 2004, 03:10 PM
pics didn't work...

Proteus
Sat Feb 21, 2004, 06:41 PM
mmmmmm, I guess there is something wrong in the link... (I can see them)

Pyroman
Sat Feb 21, 2004, 07:06 PM
... as can I...

Proteus
Sat Feb 21, 2004, 07:11 PM
I updated the link...

:wink:

Lex
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 03:14 AM
Tats Awesome pics dude! :D

Too bad didnt get to see the frys! :(

Cory21
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 03:14 AM
Awesome Dinnerplates MM! Hopefully you have some luck with them!

Proteus
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 03:17 AM
thx guys...

I have stopped going *w00t* everytime I see eggs now, I holding back for the wigglers, then it will be one almighty *w00t*

discusdude
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 03:56 AM
Jeez they are not even laying them the right way yet! On the floor of the tank! :shock:

Cheers
Alistair

Proteus
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 04:00 AM
Hey!!! they tried the walls... that didnt work either...

http://www.mollyman.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=237

flukes
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 07:05 AM
have you tried giving them a spawning cone or pole?? might have better luck for the grazing up and down a pole rather than the side of the tank.

Cheers
Scott

Proteus
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 07:44 AM
oh they have been given everything...

a JBL Discus breeding cone was added, they thought of it as a novelty device to swim around, then I added a rock formation thing, porous surface and all, they thought "Hey this brings out our colour" so they just hang around it, so basically, including the filter intake and the sponge filter they have every available medium to attach there eggs...

(I think they enjoy the torment factor it provides me)

Lily
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 08:54 AM
They are right, the rock does bring out their colour!! Funny, my friend has excatly the same rock. Looks much better in your tank. Discus are a far better rock accessory than rainbows :)

Don't you love how they totally enjoy tormenting us? Mine are not big enough to even pair up, let alone spawn, but they torment me in ways all their own. Like, "ooh! here comes that chick who feeds us! RUN AWAY!!!"

Proteus
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 08:59 AM
mmmmmm, I am thinking our Discus must be related somehow...

mine do that, but I love it when it is like... Hey you... yes you... bring me the food... NO, not that one, the other one... Feed me NOW... but when it comes to normal feeding time it is like... run, hide...

thems the foolz

Essayons89
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 10:39 PM
Have to love 'em.

Great pics of some gorgeous fish.

Bryan

Annie
Tue Feb 24, 2004, 08:22 AM
Very beautiful dinner plates MM.

Proteus
Tue Mar 02, 2004, 12:20 AM
oh yeah... they are at it again...

this is there 4th or 5th spawn...

Eggs & Mum after 24hrs...

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=85

Proteus
Thu Mar 04, 2004, 11:33 PM
...and after 3 days... 0 eggs left...

I think I might try putting them in there own Bigger tank, and use RO water, see if that triggers things...

Judging by there size, i am thinking he is ok, but maybe she is still a few months off being a mom...

luvfishies
Mon Mar 15, 2004, 08:22 AM
Actually she is probably OK, but he's not mature yet, as males take longer to mature than the fems.

they are gorgeous, either way~

Proteus
Tue Mar 30, 2004, 02:04 AM
Update...

They have spawned a few more times with the results being the same... (Discus snacks), so I am trying something else.

I am feeding them quite a bit more, then doing a vac soon after to remove any uneaten food and waste, as well as placing some mesh around the filter uptake where the eggs are loacted.

They are still visible, but not reachable by the pair...

Do you think this may work, or will it lead to unecessary stress???

pics attached (BTW, both M & F are still gaurding the eggs even with the mesh there)

flukes
Tue Mar 30, 2004, 02:21 AM
Proteus - i have read of this being done befor but i dont know how successful they were. I guess all you can do is try it and even if it doesnt work maybe when the mesh is taken off they will learn to be better parents.!

Proteus
Tue Mar 30, 2004, 03:20 AM
Heres hoping...

flukes
Tue Mar 30, 2004, 03:57 AM
Can i ask what strains the pair are?

Proteus
Tue Mar 30, 2004, 03:59 AM
She is a Snakeskin...

He is a Leopard (something ???) were both bought as Leopard Snakeskins a year ago... she has the usual 12-14 bars, but he has only 10-11... so I am not 100% sure...

Mattzilla
Tue Mar 30, 2004, 04:05 AM
at least they may become wrigglers mate...good luck!!

matt

Proteus
Tue Apr 27, 2004, 01:02 PM
...well, sad to say, but this pair is no more.

He, or Daddy as he was referred to (due to his continual trying & his size) has taken the big trip to the big blue ocean...

After a pH crash several weeks ago, where it dropped from 6.5-6.6 to 4.7 in less than 24hrs, he never recovered... (the pH crash was due to a VERY concentrated batch of Sera peat granules which I have used for over a year with no problems) I raised the pH gradually, he seemed responsive to that initially, then he started to darken, stop eating, etc, etc...

Every possible medication was afforded, with a spare 200L water barrel dedicated just to his tank so he could have new water every day (exact levels, temp, etc). He looked like he was gone for all money after 4-5 days, and the thought of euthanasing him was imminent, but he kept struggling through showing signs that he may pull through. Well 2-3 weeks passed and finally his now depleted body couldnt fight anymore.

Whilst saddenned by this my efforts have now turned to the Female... she was fine up to a few days ago, but as soon as he went, she is now showing the exact same symptoms... arrrgggghhhhhh.... why???

so the battle resumes, damned if I am going to let her go without a fight...

Annie
Tue Apr 27, 2004, 07:56 PM
Ahh, that is just sad..
I am soo sorry for the loss of the male. I would be totally upset if it were mine, so I really feel for you.
And and for the female, I am hoping for a recovery for you. :wink:

Proteus
Tue Apr 27, 2004, 10:03 PM
Thanks Annie... it is sad, but as they say... s##t happens.

I guess the main reason for missing this guy, was not just due to him being a fantastic looking fish, but this pair were the first Discus I have ever owned. I have acquired many and lost some since, but it was refreshing to know my 1st pair were still going strong.

oh well, his legacy lives on... as my avatar... :wink:

luvfishies
Wed Apr 28, 2004, 01:33 AM
Oh H*ll, ro, sorry to hear this. I know what it's like to lose a "first fish" of a species. He was gorgeous, too!

All the best in getting the fem happy and healthy. If it wouldn't be a possible contaminant to the others, I would add her back to the shoal, as she's probably lonely.