PDA

View Full Version : starting with plants

skoom
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 03:17 AM
Dear Friends,

I would like to ask for advice for starting a 3ft planted tank.

Currently I have no plants. I have a double tube reflector.

I understand the key factors in keeping plants are:

1) Good lighting

2) Fertilisers

3) CO2.

I think I can manage 1 & 2 ok, but I would like some help with carbon dioxide.

What are my options with CO2?

What is the difference between 'pressured pumps' and plastic CO2 reactor chambers?

I have heard planted tanks should not have an airstone bubbling through, whilst blows off CO2. True?

What other parameters do I need to monitor?

Many thanks.

skoom

AussieStar
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 05:07 AM
k, i dont how how much you have been looking into it so, i will give you some sites i used before i started to setup my tank

http://www.aquatic-plants.org/articles/basics/pages/index.html

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm

http://www.aquahobby.com/links/link3.html

Tim

anti-generic
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 05:44 AM
Hi,
First of all lighting depends on the type of plants you are planning on planting. If you wish to achieve a dense carpet, then strong lighting is recommended. but if it is just going tobe a sword and anubias garden, then they are less demanding.

Second, Fertilisers can be very troublesome and can cause major algea outbreaks if not done properly and carefully. Do consider a good clay based substrate and substrate fertilisers (e.g. Seachem flourish tablets) and dig them in near the roots. With liquid fertilisers dose very very light amounts until you get it right. Dont always rely on the label on the bottle and think its right. Remember they dont know what plants you have or the condition of your tank e.g. CO2 levels. Watch for pearling and plant growth. Pearling is when oxygen bubbles are released from your plants the more bubbles = more photosynthesis.

Thirdly, being a small tank, CO2 really depends on the amount of money you wish to spend. Pressurised units basically mean bottles like bottled gas for your BBQ. but ofcourse instead on LPG it will be filled with hospital or food grade liquid Carbon Dioxide. There are a few options with using these units.
1 you can purchase a kit from makes like Dupla or JBL and it would come with a bottle, reactor and diffuser.
2 you can try DIY by renting a bottle from welding supplies and sourcing your own reactor and diffuser.

The other option would be DIY CO2 reactors with yeast, sugar and bicarb soda. There are many sources of recipies out there so just try them out and see what happens.

When you add CO2 into your tank there are a few perameters to look for.
1. Ph. When CO2 reacts with water it turns into a mild acid so your ph will drop. to keep it stable you will need a achieve a stable CO2 flow and decent carbon hardness. Stable CO2 flow can be trickie with a yeast, sugar and bicarb soda reactor.

2. Kh. Carbon hardness refers the amount of dissolved carbonate in your water. a high Kh raises the ph of your tank while addition of CO2 drops it.
Heres a chart to see the relationship
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/kh-ph-co2-chart.html

I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Eric

lesley
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 08:38 AM
Whilst plants do better with Co2, without any doubt, it is not necessary to have if you choose low light slow growing plants, at least in my experience.

I have anubias, vals, mainly, a couple of swords that are very slow growing but look healthy - I think they would need cutting back with a machete if I gave them Co2. I had a carbon block unit for a while and the plants looked superb, but I gave up trying to keep the darned thing working and have gone back to none. I am dosing with fertilisers, as per the PMDD (probably the Krib) on an irregular basis, since I get almost no nitrate readings and they do look happier when I add the ferts.

I find a planted tank much easier to "balance" you will be amazed at the amount of cleaning of the water that plants do - that said, you can't neglect your water changes too much.

HTH

duck
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 12:43 PM
Do have a budget?
What do you want this tank to look like?

skoom
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 12:43 AM
Thanks for all the advice.

I will read all the links and get a better idea of this project, and get back to you all if i have further questions.

I think the budget isn't going to be that great. I will probably add in a few anubias and ?swords because they don't seem to be too demanding.

I think I don't expect my tank to be top grade display tank but just some greenery to create that natural feel.

what plants do you suggest for a beginner like myself?

anubias/val?

i thought swords demanded a lot of light?

I once had banana lillies and they blossomed like weeds....

many thanks.

skoom

duck
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 01:48 PM
If you just want to keep it simple,I would add another double light,A DIY CO2 should see you good,add sustrate fert's aswell.

Get a KH,PO4,NO3,PH,test kits.

Plants what ever the LFS has on hand most of the time they have easy and fast grower's and cheap then you can progress from there,Let it settle in for a bit.

skoom
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 03:34 PM
Looks like i'd need to get a KH kit and make myself a CO2 thingy over the weekend.

what substrate fertiliser do you recommend? I am used to seeing the sera ones. One of the better ones?

Benny
Wed Sep 07, 2005, 01:26 AM
i hear JBL 7balls are good

skoom
Wed Sep 07, 2005, 11:41 AM
Cheers.

I've seen some CO2 units go for sale for about $50 or so... they would be the sugar/yeast reaction ones right? Are they easy to use? Sorry for being a real novice with this. <=)

duck
Wed Sep 07, 2005, 12:16 PM
You can make your own,Use a plastic bottle ie coke bottle put your mix of sugar yeast water,Then connect it to a power head or diffussor.

skoom
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 05:45 PM
Meanwhile, I have added an anubias in a pot in my bare bottom four foot. I am thinking of adding another anubias and a rock fern.

I don't think i'll be adding CO2 into this tank, just a few simple plants.

what are some important steps in keeping these healthy? will fertiliser and light do? thanks.