PDA

View Full Version : First time breeding

bbyw
Tue May 11, 2004, 09:08 AM
Hi all,

It is the first time my discus have bred. Im not too sure if Im doing anything right

water temp is 30
ph is 6.5
kh is 5
amm is nil
nitrite is nil

When should I do water changes and when, how often, how much, etc
Is there anything I should be doing to help the eggs along?

Any suggestions would be great
:?:
:?

nicholas76
Thu May 27, 2004, 10:28 AM
If they have spawned dont touch a thing

you alter conditions or play havvick in the tank, they will stress and Eggs are as good as eaten.

let it go , see some frys first then think about doing small W/C IMO

NIck

Proteus
Thu May 27, 2004, 02:34 PM
Maybe that is my problem... I keep doing small partial changes and vac's, then after 2 days of gaurding the eggs... gobble, gobble gobble...

I even try screening the eggs with gutter gaurd, the Discus think it is a toy and ram it out of the way to get to there snack...

oh well, they are spwaning every week or two now, and the eggs are lasting up to 2 & 1/2 days... fingers crossed lots of Reds are on the cards...

bbyw
Fri May 28, 2004, 06:34 AM
my pair spawned on monday night, wrigglers are doin fine. the parents have their work cut out gathering them up & spitting them back on the pvc pipe.

sunshinediscus
Sun Jun 27, 2004, 12:19 PM
water parameters look ok though i'd lower the kh to 3 and drop the temp a degree or 2. In saying that most pairs will still hatch out some fry with your current setup.

fishpimp
Sun Jul 11, 2004, 01:27 AM
between ph 5.9 and 6.2 the parent fishs slime coat doubles i use this range when tank is dedicated to breeders.
recommend slightly lower kh and temp- maybe 2 units each