PDA

View Full Version : Otto PF-450 Filter

psoul
Fri May 07, 2004, 08:12 AM
Hey Guys,

Not sure if anyone is familiar with these filters, But I am going to set up a 50g tank with the filter mentioned above, and was wondering if this filter is too powerful for the tank size.

the filter does 1800lph and wanted to use the tank for discus.
Would there be too much of a current for discus using this filter?
It also has a spray bar attached.

cheers

Pete

flukes
Sat May 08, 2004, 08:19 AM
Just use the spray bar and also point it towrds a wall of the tank. I use a 4500lph pump to pump water from my storage barrel to the tank and i just point the hose and the side of the tank, there is no real current that effecct the fish but the still try to swim in front of the hose. (idiots)

DiscusMan
Sat May 08, 2004, 08:43 AM
I use one of these filters in my tank. Mid you mine a 220 litre.

But i can say the my flow rate out of hte spray bar isnt to powerful. As the previous post mentions its all about the angle you place it at.

Remeber that the flow is also detmined by the head height so the higher the spray bar above the top of the filter the harded the pump has to push the water and therefore the slower the flow. I say this as my head height is over 1 metre so that may be why mine seems OK.

Wayne

fishpimp
Sun May 16, 2004, 03:02 AM
i use a pf450g in a 7x2x2 i think 650 litres.
50 good size cichlids no probs and plants, no diseases
low maintenance, hosing supplied with 'b' grade though.

fishpimp
Tue Jun 15, 2004, 12:26 PM
just picked up a ex demo otto pf450g for 80 bucks that apparently spewed water from the head hense the cheap price. the main seal was missing so a visit to local bearing shop and $6.50 later it's rocking along nicely looking after my aging water in 200 liter barrel. looks good
however in my travels lookin for bits the general opinion seems to be otto have crap after sales service, aftermarket bits aren't available and the pf450 and smaller models i imagine are plagued with problems in the bleed valve area, some shops say 5 in 6. those are high odds.