PDA

View Full Version : Hi new to discuc fish...just curious.

look@thefish
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 04:42 AM
okays so im quiet new to keeping discus fish.. I have 7 tanks in totall all of them bar 2 are angels.. I have one spare tank (quarantiene tank) and also a 3 foot with 2 discus fish in their..

Im not quiet sure on the names of them i know 1 is a blue diamond.. the other like a dull brown with a blue pattern over it..

Im wondering, do discus come out to feed? I have had mine for 2 days now, and they both are soo shy, one tends to hide in my castle i have and the other (blue diamond tends to stare at the undergravel filter tubing all day and looks a bit blackish in colour compared to when i first got it)

I have my temp at 28 degrees and the ph is neutral, there no nitrates in the water. So i dont think there sick.. Do u think its just coz their new to their sourrounding that they wont come out?

look@thefish
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 04:47 AM
can someone delete them 2 other? Sorry i didnt know what i did to post that 3 times

Bronx19
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 04:58 AM
lol... classic.

Apparently its normal for fish to be shy at first.

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 10:16 AM
Hi look@the fish, welcome to the forum, and welcome to the wonderful world of discus.

It's pretty normal for new fish to take their time to get used to the tank. Discus are by nature, a shy fish, and take a little while to get used to new surroundings, a new owner, and new food types.

They also seem to do better in groups of three or more. With only two in the tank, there is usually a battle for dominance.

look@thefish
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 10:25 AM
hmm maybe i should get another?

Wondering how often u guys do water changes ? and how much water?

on another note WOOTAGE my angel layed eggs this arvo.. Im not quiet sure weather or not they were fertalised by the male in with her..

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 11:05 AM
Three fish would be fine in that three foot tank.

We like to do frequent waterchanges, three or more times a week. Some do daily waterchanges.

Discus are one of the few fish that demand clean water if you are to have any measure of success with them.

Around 20% per water change is pretty good.

mcloughlin2
Fri Sep 02, 2005, 10:53 AM
Ive had some new discus for a week now and they only swim around wen im not in the room....

Itz driving me insane but they are slowly getting use to the new tank and are begining to start swimming around wen im watching them as long as i dont move to suddenly :wink:

Sam... :)

nicholas76
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 07:16 AM
with shy fish i try and keep in mind the following things.

1. check your water parameters to ensure perfection.
2. ensure your lighting is suitable. ( discus hate shadows IMO )
3. Do you have enough discus in your tank to promote confidence in your fish to come out. ( big groups clearly do better )
4. Ease your fish into there new environment, give them time to settle in, dont start doing big water changes after day one. Dont rush up to the tank, try and initiate confidence by placing food at the front of the tank and stand back.
5. location of the tank . ( is it in a busy corridor? )

just some food for thought anyway.

post some pics lets have a look!

regards

Pikapig
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 05:30 AM
I faced the same problem and need some advice.
The reds are my finding

with shy fish i try and keep in mind the following things.

1. check your water parameters to ensure perfection. doing WC every 2 days
2. ensure your lighting is suitable. ( discus hate shadows IMO ) Never on the light
3. Do you have enough discus in your tank to promote confidence in your fish to come out. ( big groups clearly do better ) 4 discus juv around 3 inch in a 2ft
4. Ease your fish into there new environment, give them time to settle in, dont start doing big water changes after day one. Dont rush up to the tank, try and initiate confidence by placing food at the front of the tank and stand back. (only 2 swim out for food, the other 2 will just hide until i leave the tank
5. location of the tank . ( is it in a busy corridor) Yes, its at the passage way between my kitchen n living room.

sammigold
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 12:31 PM
You may want to think about getting a bigger tank as they will soon grow too big for a 2ft. (if they are not too big already)
Being in a busy passageway may be intimidating them and that is why they will hide.. Maybe relocate your tank to a quieter area where they dont get so much traffic going past... they will relax more.
HTH :)

Pikapig
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 04:02 AM
You may want to think about getting a bigger tank as they will soon grow too big for a 2ft. (if they are not too big already)
Being in a busy passageway may be intimidating them and that is why they will hide.. Maybe relocate your tank to a quieter area where they dont get so much traffic going past... they will relax more.
HTH :)

hi bro, thanks for the advice, but space is limited in my house so there the tank find itself there....
but somehow yesterday they started swimming out n didn hide even when ppl walk pass...hope they are getting use to the condition

sammigold
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 05:57 AM
Sounds like they are getting used to it.... wish you the all the best with them. :) ps. I am a girl :lol: :lol:

Del
Sat Jan 07, 2006, 09:17 PM
Hey look@thefish

My 3ft community, planted tank is in a passageway in the lounge and we all walk past it all the time.

I find during the day my 5 discus tend to hide (too much natural light in the room - not direcly on the tank though) but around sunset (7'ish) they are out and following my every move.

It did take a while for them to adjust - about 2 weeks - so hang in there.

So long as the water is right they will get used to your routine and you'll wonder why you every worried!

DEL