PDA

View Full Version : Breeding tips?

Proteus
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 10:43 PM
Apart from maybe a bare bottom tank and regular water changes, are there any other secrets to successful Discus Breeding...

flukes
Mon Feb 23, 2004, 05:42 AM
Put some candles, some roses around the tank and play some barry white in cd player. They'll be spawning like its valentines day every day!!
Just joking, but i do feel that you have more chance of a spawn if the tank is away from traffic, this is recommended just for keeping discus but when breeding it it more important to make them feel safe.

Cheers
Scott

milt master p
Wed Feb 25, 2004, 07:08 AM
I find that spwaning can be stimulated by a gradual increase in temp up to 31C over a week then a 30% water change with non-heated water.

fishyfish
Wed Feb 25, 2004, 10:59 PM
hello ,apart from water quality what about the food .Live food its the only way to go, the difference between spawns is incredible also the size of the fish is important & i try to let the fish grow on a bit more before spawning as i find that the fish tend to stop growing once they become sexualy active or grow on very slowly.I always try and condition the fish prior to spawning, good quality foods good water good conditions oh don't forget the flowers & candles :lol:

There is no such thing as a stupid question
just stupid people !

jason

Oxheart
Sat Mar 06, 2004, 04:39 AM
Hi Guys,
Be a little aware of Calcium carbonate hardness, in the tanks.
Apparently Sydney water (Some water types) have none presently.
Adding some to you breeding tanks can and will help spawning.
I believe if you can get the ese levels up almost to 1 degree of kH this will help.
Fresh water changes regularily will also help the pairs to spawn.
Watch your level of water conductivity and try and keep it under 240 degrees of microseimens .This (In my oppinion) will help the fertility and usually prevent the adults from becoming ajetated which can lead to egg and frys being consumed.
Of coarse if this dosent help a few blue movies may assist and if the fish dont enjoy them than I guess the fish owners can instead enjoy.
Hope these comments help.
Cheers Oxheart.

Mattzilla
Sat Mar 13, 2004, 05:12 AM
i have heard adding a little peat to your water helps to lower your ph slightly, soften the water, and add valuable tannins to the water.

not from personal experience though

matt

Proteus
Sat Mar 13, 2004, 06:13 AM
I swear by Sera Super peat... it does a great job at keeping the pH low, and the Discus love the tannins and humic acids...

I have tried the EHeim Peat, and some others, but the granules offered by Sera last a very long time, and are a lot easier to handle...