PDA

View Full Version : setting up a a co2 unit?????

pitchblack
Sun Aug 14, 2005, 09:27 AM
hey there im getting ready to set up a pressurized co2 unit. Wondering what specs the tank should be at like ph, kh, phosphate etc. Some advice on this is greatly appreciated as im a little lost havent done this before and am looking forward to see my tank flourish with plant life as well. Tips on what plants do well is appreciated!!!!

axl
Sun Aug 14, 2005, 10:55 AM
Hey,
firstly i would suggest reading as much as youcan from the net on co2, this will give you an idea on what your up for. You can never read to much into to this subject and the more you learn the better you are off for the long run. Find out what is your kH and then you can determine what ph you have to get it at to get the correct amount of co2 which is 30ppm. This will take 2-3 week to stabilize your ph and you are best to check your ph in the morning when your co2 is up and going to give the best reading. You will need to keep checking your ph until its stabile and never turn the co2 off and other people will tell you different but dont listem to them. Get this sorted out first and then work on your macro and micro nutrients, hope this helps ya and i will say it again do you homework on this beofre you start
cheers axl
This is a very long topic to write about this is just a guide

duck
Sun Aug 14, 2005, 12:05 PM
What axl has said, It also took my system a few weeks to settle now she great.
I run my CO2 24/7

Davo
Sun Aug 14, 2005, 12:13 PM
Gday pitchblack,

As axl said wait to evrything settles.

I wouldaim for 6.6 to 6.8 for PH. Your KH reading will be depenent on your PH, it should be 4 to 5. Check out Chuck Gadd's fertilizer calculator to work out levels etc.

Dave.

pitchblack
Sun Aug 14, 2005, 12:21 PM
at the moment guys my ph is netural at 7.0 and the KH 2 and GH 2 phosphates are at 1. Is this a good start before I introduce the co2 or do I have the alter the kh a bit more. Oh by the way I was reading that adding bi carb soda raises the kh is this true and does it have any affect on the fish or the phosphate levels.

Davo
Mon Aug 15, 2005, 09:44 AM
I would raise your KH to 4-5 and I would also try to lower your PH to 6.6 to 6.8. You ideally want a CO2 rading of 20-30 ppm. Have a look at Chuck Gadd's planted aquarium calculator, it is a handy tool.

Dave.

AussieStar
Mon Aug 15, 2005, 09:54 AM
i run a sms122 milwakee ph controller, works great

pitchblack
Mon Aug 15, 2005, 11:40 AM
can i add bi carb soda to raise the kh????

Davo
Mon Aug 15, 2005, 12:29 PM
From what I have read on the net if you add 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda/50 litres it will raise your KH by 4 degrees. You should only raise it 1 degree at a time though.

I have not read any negative comments about it.

Dave

Bad Inferno
Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:47 PM
Get a ph controller and just dial in the ph you want to run. I run mine at 6.3ph with a KH 1 or 2.....AS I have very low KH without a controller the PH can swing very very fast...