PDA

View Full Version : discus skin pealing

ganjadude1uk
Fri Aug 12, 2005, 04:08 PM
hi my blue dimond is not looking verry good it has went very dark and it looks like the slime coad is pealing off also it's fins are clamped most of the time and it's eyes look slightly cloudy. it still seems to be swimming about and eating some times. i have put in 2 tablespoons of salt per 10 gal and added king brittish treatment no 7 bacteria control. any advice would be appreciated.

ph 6.6
nitrate 6
nitrite 0
ammonia 0

thanks
alex

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 13, 2005, 11:47 AM
Any chance of getting a picture of this fish.

There are several things that this could be. You say the fish is still eating. Does it spend most of it's time facing the back of the tank?

I'm not familiar with the product you have mentioned. Does it have a list of ingredients on the bottle?

That's quite a heavy dose of salt. I'd be inclined to use half that amount.

ganjadude1uk
Sat Aug 13, 2005, 02:53 PM
hi there i will try to get a pic asap the fish sonetimes is a the back but most of the time it is with the others at the fronti will cut the salt down to half the only ingredient it mentions on the bottle id formaldehyde

goldfish
Mon Aug 29, 2005, 07:22 AM
what you have wrote sounded similar to what my my fish was goin through before. Was there any white little things on its body? that look like worms maybe?
try using the 20mg tablets of trichlorphon. its recommended dosage is 1tablet for 40lt,my tank needed 14 tablets because its 560lts. the first time i dosed the tank the fish started to gain its colour back in 2 days but then a week later it got bad again,so i used 20 tablets and 3 days later the fish were all fine,back to normal, and i also did a water change after the 3rd day with a repeated 20 tablets treatment just in case. so i think its better to slighty over dose than to underdose.

**i used the Aquamaster Para-cide and Wardleys Para-ex. both of them have very similar details written on its bottle.nearly the same.

axelfaz
Mon Aug 29, 2005, 09:21 AM
it sounds like a bacteria problem sometimes caused when people use to much cycle or other bacteria liquads in their tank. the extra bacteria burns and eats the slime coat try a 50% water change asap.Then 24 hrs later 50% again I woulnt use meds unless your 100% sure on what the problem is. :wink:

goldfish
Mon Aug 29, 2005, 09:39 AM
oh yeah,,water change helps alot i noticed, but be sure the temperature u put in is very close to the one already in the tank. when i lowered the temperature from 30 to 27, the slime coat appeared, and the discus definitely hate colder water! from my experience, my fish got the worms from the new altum angels i added into the tank and then when i lowered the temp. to 27degrees(because thats what the medication says) the slime coat appeared.

so i learnt a tough lesson, quarantine your new fish.
*i started to medicate my fish at 30degrees even though the label says no more than 27, when i did it at 27,the slime coat appeared! at 30degrees it was fine!