PDA

View Full Version : Pump For water storage drum

Benny
Thu Aug 11, 2005, 11:02 AM
Hey guys (Ryan especially )
Im setting up a water ageing drum under my house.... I have done the math, and its approximately 3M below the tank.. My sums tell me i there fore obviously need a pump with a head height greater them 3M....

What pumps do you guys reccomend? Was lookin at http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod423.htm seems like it will do the trick...

Was looking at a sicce extrema but its head height is only 3m so i dont think it will work well, if at all

I dont need HUGE flow rates, ill only be changing 100L so 1000lph means 6 mins for the water change (i obviously will take the head height into consideration of the pumps flow)

Regards
Benny

wyldchyld01
Thu Aug 11, 2005, 12:35 PM
Benny, (obviouslyi'm not ryan lol)

at what pipe size/diameter is the maximum head head/flow rate for the output you speak about for this pump...this can drastically change the results that you can get from a pump.

3m max seems like the maximum head pressure you'll get and so therefor it's the point that cavitation, at varying head pressures and heights can occur. I would suggest finding a pump that pushes out more water that desired overall but on average suits the flow rate you want at the height your pumping, hth

Brenton

Benny
Thu Aug 11, 2005, 12:39 PM
well the one in the link i provided has a 4m head height so it should be adequate... What are peoples opinions on the "sun sun" brand and "resun" branded stuff?

kalebjarrod
Sat Aug 13, 2005, 02:59 AM
Hay Benny

sorry i missed this thread

pumps work on a "parabala" like ph does

as the head height goes up the flow drop significantly

ie:

0m head = 3000ltr per hour
1m head = 2500ltrs per hour
2m head = 1500ltrs per hour
3m head = 250ltrs per hour
4m head = cavitation

you are going to be doing big water changes, regulary

you will be wize to spend money on a Quality transfer pump at that sort of a height

unfortunatley that would be the minimum i would suggest

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod1033.htm

see the autofloat that will help you not destroy the pump without realizeing it

at the height you have mentioned you will still only get around 2000-3000ltrperhour

if you can save up, go for a davey sulage/soft suspended pump

it will cost even more, but once you get a few tank going, its the VERY BEST investment you can make. It will make the waterchanges a dream

Benny
Sat Aug 13, 2005, 03:35 AM
haha i think my parents will kill me if i get any more tanks!!!

Dear god that wasnt the sort of adice i was hoping for lol..

I plan on gettin a 200L drum, and no more then 100L WC's at any one time....

Far out, so my best bet is to get something with a very good head height, as best as i can afford? I plan on fitting a float switch anyways in the drum, so it automatically fills it, and will also shut the pump off...

Im going about a fully automated system, with electronic valves or solenoids etc so it will drain it to a certain level, fill the tank back up, then fill the drum up again.. :)

Just how i can automate adding the ageing drops, i dont quite know as yet.. will gladly take any advice, :)

Was also considering this pump http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod825.htm

and a Resun King 4

Regards,
Benny

Littlefish
Sat Aug 13, 2005, 03:52 AM
LOL Sounds like a Wallace & Gromit device.

You can get a Sunsun pump that promises 5.5m head for around $120 or so. If it goes phut after a while, at least it didn't cost too much. Then again, you never know, it could last for years.

Fred :wink:

Benny
Sat Aug 13, 2005, 03:55 AM
also sounds like a device that saves alot of time and hassle :D

And moreso im going overseas for 6 weeks in december/january and it means i dont have to rely on my parents for waterchanges :D

yay :D

Littlefish
Sat Aug 13, 2005, 04:06 AM
Oh. Just had a look at the link in your last post (I'm a bit slow).

Don't see why the Aquapro wouldn't work. Cheap enough.

BTW Wallace & Gromit are brilliant - and their gadgets work! Ryan is the invention king - bet he's already figuring out how to do add a chemical dispenser to your system...

Fred :D

kalebjarrod
Sat Aug 13, 2005, 10:12 PM
i have a series of 150 lt cubes

i run a 1500ltrper hour pump with 80cm head

when i do waterchanges it really does annoy me how long it takes

my opinion is to buy the biggest pump you can afford, preferrabley with a float sitch attached to it.

float switch can cost another 100-150 bucks to add on later so spend it now

the float will be invaluable in a upstairs / downstairs situation :wink:

Benny
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 05:40 AM
Hey All, im looking for opinions on a topic...

Do you guys think a pump from a dishwasher would be of a food grade , and safe to use for a WC setup.. i can get my hands on a BEEFY pumo, ill give it a fire up tonight

kalebjarrod
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 06:12 AM
should be food grade

although it would be of a higer wattage, but thats o.k as you'll use it only when doing water changes

sounds good from here mate :wink: