PDA

View Full Version : Increasing WPG

AussieStar
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 11:52 AM
On my 180 gallon i currently use 2 150 watt MHs. But i order some 130 watt PC 6400K blubs from reef online, thinking that they what be alot smaller then what there actually are, so now im stuck in trying to put them into my hood. They are 350mm long and 90mm in dia. So how anyone else use these or knowing or a method of supporting them, they are end heavy so with the sockets the came with i didnt thinnk that they would be able to support it to well. anyone got any ideas?
here are some pictures

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/AussieStar/DSC01654.jpg
normall AA bat.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/AussieStar/DSC01655.jpg

Thanxs Tim

wyldchyld01
Fri Aug 12, 2005, 01:32 AM
Tim,
Looks like the same globes i have just been given and am thinking of installing,wanna test out power consumption first, was going to write up a review once tried (you might think of the same to compare results).

Have been told that attaching the light fitting (assume you have the ceramic round one that goes direct to mains) to a batten, then behind this have a backing plate (screws from ceramic through this and batten) to spread some of the stress from the added weight of the globe over the area of the batten. hope this makes sense.

the globe will support it's own weight length ways but it's spreading the weight over the side of your hood is going to be a hassle, maybe something insulated will spring to mind. I am going to hang mine from the roof of my fish-house so i can't comment on how well this would work but the distributor here, tells me that it can be done using the above approach and a sparky will know what sort of backing plate to use.

Brenton

btw i assume you know these lights don't need ballast hence their size

AussieStar
Fri Aug 12, 2005, 12:43 PM
yea i know about the ballast, one reason why i got them. Yea i do have the ceramic socket. I dont understand the "but it's spreading the weight over the side of your hood is going to be a hassle, maybe something insulated will spring to mind" part, i was thinking that if it is on the backing plate it shouldnt be a problem if done correctly. will have to try it out first

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 12, 2005, 09:10 PM
the ceramic's are a new insert into a fitting

you can buy these (see pics)

i got these yesterday from Ideal :wink: timing :wink:

Q. i thought they had internal ballast in the base of the bulb? is that right?

AussieStar
Fri Aug 12, 2005, 11:17 PM
yea, they do have in in the bottom of the blub, they would be good to use but the blubs are like 5x the size lol

kalebjarrod
Sat Aug 13, 2005, 01:45 AM
i know there bigger but the fittings are universal arn't they?

AussieStar
Sat Aug 13, 2005, 07:24 AM
well no, these are the same size as your industrial MHs alot bigger then normal ones,

wyldchyld01
Sun Aug 14, 2005, 09:18 AM
fits marine specs great, trying them on plant growth, intensely bright, like i mean i am thinking of wearing sunnies while looking at it or fitting a shade but i'm worried about heat

AussieStar
Sun Aug 14, 2005, 11:35 AM
well they dont have as much heat as mhs and are about same brightness as my mhs

wyldchyld01
Mon Aug 15, 2005, 02:02 AM
AussieStar,

Do you have any idea what these cost per month to run? Haven't been able to find any info on electrical draw.

Brenton

AussieStar
Mon Aug 15, 2005, 09:45 AM
well no im pretty sure it would be about the same as a 150 watt MH, but i still live at home and dont have to pay any bills :)

wyldchyld01
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 07:36 AM
yeah same boat, found out today that it will cost me $3.90 a month if on for 10 hours a day (based on 30day ave month) so not bad i think

AussieStar
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 10:24 AM
wyldhyd01, have you got your globes un your hood yet? was thinkgin of just buying the reflector for them but 95 each

wyldchyld01
Thu Aug 18, 2005, 12:37 PM
i'm a diy freak, made my own reflector out of pvc pipe and a aluminum/rubber sheet that when heated bonded to the pvc (i think it's some sort of roofing product)

have the luxury of hanging them from a fish-house roof rather than trying to fit under a hood, don't envy your job there

AussieStar
Thu Aug 18, 2005, 11:03 PM
well i order one and i work at a metal fabication shop, so going to get someone to make me some others, so will have to play for materail only

wyldchyld01
Sat Aug 20, 2005, 05:24 AM
maybe start up a side business making them to fit standard hood's lol,

well worth it for those with heavily planted tanks or marine...my discus took a while (few hours) to get used to it once i turned it on, but looks good. hope you have success with it

setup atm for me: the ballast clamped (like your down pipe on the house) to one of my stands, haven't organised the layout for lighting in new fish-house plan, killed an extension board for it's lead and rigged up the wiring, plugged it into a timer and bob's your uncle.

Good luck with it

Brenton

AussieStar
Sun Aug 21, 2005, 10:43 AM
yea would be a good idea.