PDA

View Full Version : Heaters

oscar
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 09:22 PM
People can i get a bit of feedback on what are considered to be the better brand of tank heaters these days. It's been a while since i've had to buy one.

My heaters are getting old and the thermostats are allowing too much rise-fall during the course of a day. I'm typically getting my tank hovering between 24-27.5 deg.

I'd like to narrow that up a little if i can.

Ben
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 10:57 PM
Hydor heater are very good both the external and internal model's.

What size is your tank?

I have a hydor 400 watt heater in a 4x14x18 tank the heater is a big large when it comes to the wattage in a tank that size but the temperature never sway's more .3 c either side.

HTH

Ben

oscar
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 11:05 PM
Ben,

I have 4x18x18, and 3x18x18. Typically run 300W in both sizes.

chrissyoscar
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 02:15 AM
Yeah you can't go wrong with the hydor external 300w heater. very reliable and maintains the heat very well.
Jager are also a good heater and seem to hold the temp without much fluctuations.

Oscar

Benny
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 02:19 AM
Im using an Aqua One Stainless 300W heater on my 95G tank, seems to hold the temperature very well

oscar
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 02:36 AM
Have seen both around. The Aqua one is substantially cheaper then the Hydor unit. Any specific adv/disadv or praises for either particular one?

Benny
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 02:42 AM
Ive never used a hydor model heater so cant say...

But i used aqua one glass heaters previously (own a 100W & 200W one) and was not hesitant in buying another aqua one product.. I bought my stainless heater for $30 new from my lfs, and is great... I find that because of the remote temperature sensor, the heat is much more accurately kept, as well as having the controls outside the tank, its very easy to monitor and or change the temperature if the need arises...

Regards,
Benny

Sam
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 05:21 AM
ive been using aquaone heater since the 1st day i got a fish tank and never had any problems and always had a stable temperature.

Ben
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 11:47 AM
Those aqua one stainless steel heater are great! highly recommended! Only one problem they are for fresh water only as you would already know but dont think that 1 teaspoon of salt added to a 200 litre tank would be ok. I done this as my water is too soft for young discus and it started to send the heating element rusty within 48 hours!

So i use the aquaone 300 watt glass heater on some of my tanks.

cheers,

Ben

oscar
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks Ben.

Interesting.

Wish i had a problem of water that is too soft. Water up here has pH about 7.2 and is hard as buggery.