PDA

View Full Version : Book Review***DISCUS, The naked truth by Andrew Soh

Ben
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 10:58 AM
I just recently bought this stunning book and have done a review to share with everyone.

This is a very new up to date book published 2005. Mr. Andrew Soh Has kept discus for the last 32 years and knows every little aspect that has to do with the king of the aquarium.

This hard cover book has been broken into 11 chapters with more than 170 pages packed full of excellent and useful information.

Chapters consist of:

1/ selecting the best
2/ culture tank system
3/ breeding
4/ artemia culture
5/ sexing
6/ grooming champion
7/ discus genetics
8/ import quarantine procedure
9/ diseases and treatments
10/list of commonly used drugs and chemicals
11/ frequently asked question

I will give a brief description of each chapter and some random pictures taken from this book

1/Selecting the best
This chapter has many diagrams and pictures of the different body shape the discus comes in. It gives the reader knowledge in what to look out for when purchasing discus.

2/culture tank systems
The author describes the different type of tank set ups, it has advantages and disadvantages of 7 different types of set ups, dealing specifically with filtration and the changing of water.

3/Breeding
Breeding can be so simple but so hard! It covers how to set up a breeding tank, pairing of fish, feeding of fry as well as excellent photography of the whole breeding process from the egg to young fry.

4/Artemia culture
There is not much text in books which covers this area so well, this chapter is very impressive. Anyone can now hatch and grow brine shrimp at home!

5/Sexing
What to look for when determine the gender of your fish, after reading this chapter thoroughly the reader will be more accurate at sexing their precious discus!

6/Grooming a champion
How to pick the best discus, from an early age and goes through the finer points of culling and conditioning.

7/Discus genetics
Genetics is the science of inheritance. An excellent read on the laws of discus genetics, very detailed in information and is an excellent resource for both the beginner and the advanced hobbyist.

8/ Import and quarantine procedures
To put simply, prevention is better than cure, and curing discus is a nightmare!

9/Diseases and treatments
I have not read up to date, detailed information on this subject until I picked up this book.
Learn about the problem and the remedy

10/List of commonly used drugs and chemicals
Learn about the drug/chemical and the dose rate to use. From Antibiotics to Zeolite

11/ Frequently asked questions
If you had a problem and would like to solve it, no doubt it will be under this chapter!

In closing I would say this is an excellent book and is highly recommend to all that keep discus whether you are just starting out or have been keeping discus for decades. And I would like to personally thank Mr. Andrew Soh for taking his time to write this book and pass his 32 years of discus keeping knowledge onto us.

I give it Bens score 96 out of 100

Ben
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 10:59 AM
more pictures taken from the book.

goldenpigeon
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 11:35 AM
wow that is so kool ben :D

spencer
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 12:18 PM
Hi Ben
Do you know where I could get this book from?
Cheers Max

Ben
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 12:49 PM
Hi Max,
Give me a week or 2 i might be getting a couple in.

Cheers,
Ben

Dee
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 01:43 PM
G'day Ben :)

great review mate, beat me to it :wink: I was about to post a review of Andrew's book ... You have done a much better job than I would of :lol:

This is a great book for all levels of discus keeping, great job Andrew ! Well worth getting a copy. :D

Cheers,

Dee :)

spencer
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks Ben
That would be great

Max

Mattzilla
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 12:37 AM
good review

the book looks great

wyldchyld01
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 03:47 AM
can i ask the publisher??

tank
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 04:34 AM
how much and where can i order a copy
please

Roy
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 10:17 AM
Put me down for a copy as well.

Roy

ozarowana
Thu Aug 18, 2005, 02:01 AM
Put my name down for one aswell.

Ben
Thu Aug 18, 2005, 03:16 AM
I shall have some copies of this book in 3 weeks, cost will be $110 per book which will include postage any where in Australia.

cheers,
Ben

Dave76
Fri Aug 19, 2005, 03:24 AM
Put one aside for me please Ben :)

Cheers

Dave

Darth_discus
Fri Aug 19, 2005, 04:26 AM
i will buy one but what if i pick it up will the price go down

Ben
Mon Aug 29, 2005, 01:54 PM
Book will now be for sale,

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36076#36076

cheers,
Ben

G-1000
Sat Jan 14, 2006, 11:50 PM
I have just finished reading this book and it is absolutely exceptional. I would even go so far as to say it would be the best discus book I have ever read.

Brilliant book and worth every penny.

Good stuff Andrew !

G

Andrew Soh
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 02:40 AM
Hi G-1000,

Thanks for your feedback. Make me feel good....since tomorrow is Chinese New Year.

Thanks and take care,

Andrew :wink:

Ben
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 11:08 AM
Andrew,

Have a wonderful Chinese New Year to you and your family.

Regards,
Ben

Andrew Soh
Tue Jan 31, 2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks Ben :wink:

You take care,
Andrew :P

endless
Wed Feb 01, 2006, 05:35 AM
How do i go about getting a copy?

G-1000
Wed Feb 01, 2006, 05:47 AM
Hey Endless,

I would ask Ben on this forum if he has any copies left (I dont think he does) or get in touch with SLS - thats where I got mine.

HTH

G

Proteus
Wed Feb 01, 2006, 07:07 AM
Contact SLS or I believe the new online store that is opening in the next couple of weeks will be stocking Andrew's book

endless
Wed Feb 01, 2006, 09:52 PM
ok thanks guys

Lee BT
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 10:11 AM
Dear All,

Forgive me for being busy-body.
But if you are interested in this wonderful book, I suppose you can order it from Andrew Soh direct.
Since he is also active in this forum, why not just send him a PM.

Cheers!

BT Lee

Proteus
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 10:14 AM
BT Lee, the main reason why people probably dont do that is the cost involved in shipping the book, plus arranging payment in another currency.

Lee BT
Mon Feb 13, 2006, 01:51 AM
Ahh, sorry to hear about this problem.
Since Ben can do it the other time, maybe this time also.

Cheers!

BT Lee

Proteus
Mon Feb 13, 2006, 01:55 AM
I think Ben brought them back with him in person.

There are quite a few copies available through some of our sponsors as well, many of them autographed by Andrew himself.

Andrew Soh
Mon Feb 13, 2006, 09:49 AM
Hi,

Maybe can check with Slipperylittlesuckers.com

Kelvin may have some. If not, you can either check with the new online store mentioned by Proteus or someone trustworthy to consolidate orders and make a 25 books order.

He can pay in Singapore dollars thro bank TT and in 25 per batch, postage should not be that expensive.

Just my suggestion.

Take care,
Andrew :angel

Nathan
Wed May 03, 2006, 09:14 AM
this by far the best discus book i have ever read