PDA

View Full Version : CO2 system price thought

pitchblack
Sun Aug 07, 2005, 10:49 AM
hey all have been researching the price of co2 systems and found one in melb that sells the complete syetem thats everything for 450 dollars. The only set back is that the bottle has to be refilled every 10 weeks. 15 dollars each refill. Is this a good price??????

revkev
Sun Aug 07, 2005, 11:58 AM
Hi Why not make your own system get regulator and flow meter from BOC the rest you can make. Bubble counter from a small screw top jar co2 diffuser from pvc pipe see DIY CO2 using BOC tube on this site. CO2 bottle hire about $9.00 month last 6-8 months befor refill depending on size of your tank and how many plants.
Revkev

Proteus
Sun Aug 07, 2005, 12:56 PM
It comes down to what you want, DIY is good, but there are some downsides. (regulating the flow, and controlling the dosage)

I would be guessing the $450 system does not come with a pH controller (dosing system & solenoid).

Hiring a large bottle is youe best bet, and have a small cylinder as a back up for when you exchange or refill the larger one.

pitchblack
Mon Aug 08, 2005, 12:37 PM
yes it comes with everything. the dosing system, the buble counter, solenoid etc. But the bottle needs to be refilled every 10 weeks

jimmilfish
Mon Aug 08, 2005, 04:50 PM
For cheap Co2 gear drop Jerome from the perth cichlid forums an email.
sales@natuesaquarium.com
I just bought a regulator bubble counter and glass diffuser for $130.D size cylinder from boc gases $26 a quarter
cheers
jim

pitchblack
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 12:48 PM
cheers jimm does that system include everything.Im a bit new to the whole co2 thing and still getting the right advice before I invest my cash.

jimmilfish
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 11:22 PM
This post will give you lots of info
http://perthcichlid.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2478
cheers
jim

Proteus
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 12:08 AM
The article is good, however there are no safety measures in place to prevent a massive pH crash, or C02 overdose.

Remember C02 is an acid, and introduction to the aquaria results in a gradual pH drop, unless adequate KH is present, hence my personal preference for a controller unit (pH controller, Dosing computer, etc).

For a small planted only tank, the system in the link is great, if fish are in the same tank, personally I would prefer a controller (I do realise they arent cheap).

pitchblack
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 12:59 PM
thanks for that its great. But i have to agree with proteus. I dont want a ph crash at all considering im new to the whole co2 thing. What is a good level to keep the kh at so the ph doesnt swing to fatal levels. I keep my kh at 120ppm is that enough or should it be hight. as much info as possible would be appreciated.