PDA

View Full Version : hermit fish...

jluna
Mon May 03, 2004, 06:07 AM
hey there guys and gals-

just wondering what you more experienced types think of this...

i've got nine discus aged between 3 and 8 months, in a 360 litre tank (no idea what that is in gallons), lightly planted, water parameters fine, temp etc stable, healthy, beautiful, eat like pigs...

but there is often one who hangs out by itself - in great colour, eats whenever there's food available, but just doesn't seem to hang with the gang... is this just a fish psychology thing or should i be worried?

cheers,

justin

Proteus
Mon May 03, 2004, 06:11 AM
...as long as it looks healthy, is eating and otherwise acting normal I wouldnt be too concerned.

I have a couple that are like that and I found the best way to really check things out is at night, turn all the lights out except the tank light, and sit yourself a few meters away from the tank... after a while they will forget you are there (or perhaps not even know you are there) and observe there behaviour... it seems when I do that I have no shy fish at all... just a few extra boistrous ones.

:wink:

jluna
Mon May 03, 2004, 09:18 AM
hey proteus -

i obviously have no life at all, cos sitting in front of my tank in the dark is what i do most nights!! i think he's just shy - though as soon as i come close to the tank he's up with the rest getting ready for a feed... i think he's fine, but just really wanted to hear some other opinions. thanks!

justin

United21Soccer
Mon May 03, 2004, 07:14 PM
Your not the only one who stays up until late hours watching your fish. I think its a great life though...so many beautiful fish. lol Anyways, maybe he'll just grow out of it one day and start swimming with the rest of the pack.