PDA

View Full Version : ***product review***Sera Discus Color Blue food granules

Ben
Wed Aug 03, 2005, 06:26 AM
I am conducting a trial of this food on a pair of discus.
The male is a brillant blue and the female is a blue diamond.

I have started this trial from today and will post pictures and results every wensday until the cannister is finished. This is the only discus i will be feeding to over the next several weeks.
In their diet they will be fed 3 times per day.

Morning: sera colour food granules
lunch time: frozen bloodworms
dinner: frozen brineshrimp or mysis shrimp

%50 water change every 48 hours
PH 6.4
GH 30 PPM

I will be using flash on the camera throughout this whole exercise.
If any one has other ideas on this trial please let me know!

cheers,

Ben

Ben
Wed Aug 03, 2005, 06:29 AM
The first feeding showed good results.
As seen in the picture above they loved it, as in the past any new food is taken slowly and with some hesitation.

The granuales are very pale in colour and sink very fast to the aquarium floor bottom.

So far so good......

Mattzilla
Wed Aug 03, 2005, 09:42 AM
perhaps taking pictures both with and without flash would be good. the flash does wash the colour out of fish a bit and may be hard to tell any varience

cheers

Ben
Wed Aug 03, 2005, 11:40 AM
You are right Matt, i took this picture this morning with out flash, the problem i find is reflection.

I will take with and with out flash pictures.

cheers,

Ben

Ben
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 11:02 PM
This pair is taking very well to the new food.
To be honest at week one there is no noticable colour change.

Due to an unfortunate event with my camera i am unable to take pictures but will next week.

Ben

DR.V
Thu Aug 11, 2005, 02:15 AM
Ben, what result are you expecting out of this experiment ?

Since its a "discus colour blue" food , are you expecting that the blue discus will go brighter blue ?

I think using flash wont show their true colour. Because the flash will be too bright ( if you take close shots ) and make the fish become really bright and also the tank will reflect some of the flash.

How about you take the picture with no flash but have a strong aquarium light ? Maybe taking picture during the day will be better ( ie : more sunshine ).

To avoide reflection without flash , how about you close the door or window behind the tank ? Or take the picture after sunset, but you will need strong light.

Just a thought.

Good luck Ben.

dreamer
Thu Aug 11, 2005, 02:40 AM
its better to take picture at night with only tank lights on ie. turn off all lights in the room and no flash

Ben
Thu Aug 11, 2005, 04:32 AM
Good Ideas Dr V and dreamer,
I will set up an aquarium light by next week with some photo's.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben
Mon Aug 15, 2005, 06:27 AM
Here is a picture taken today.
They spawned 1 1/2 days ago, %95 of the eggs were infertile.
This picture is taken with a flash, i am yet to set up a light on top.

Also please ignore the dirty tank as they will be getting a water change in a few hours.

To be honest its been almost 2 weeks and i have not seen any results yet, but will keep everyone posted.

Cheers,
Ben

Dave76
Mon Aug 15, 2005, 07:22 AM
Hi Ben

Not sure if you have enought tanks & room....but

Have you thought about trying some of the fry on the food & some without & see if you can tell any difference ?

Just a thought

Dave

DR.V
Mon Aug 15, 2005, 08:37 AM
Have you thought about trying some of the fry on the food & some without & see if you can tell any difference ?

Yeah this sounds like a good idea Ben.

Ben
Wed Aug 24, 2005, 12:05 AM
I have fed some of this food to the young juvies to see if they would eat it. They ate it like they would any other food.

I really dont have the tank space to be setting up trials on juvies but it is a good idea.

So far, all discus take well to this food but i am yet to see any difference with thier colour.

Feeding tetra colour bits on red based dicus/fish will see results under 2 weeks.

I will take pictures soon.

Cheers,
Ben

Ben
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 12:50 AM
Well, i finished using this product.
and i dont think much of it as far as enhancing the colour blue in the discus.
A good food that the discus enjoy and would be good mixed with other dried foods.

Cheers,
Ben

DR.V
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 07:58 AM
Good job Ben.

And chance showing us before and after picture ??

Thanks

Ben
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 10:23 AM
Here is a picture taken today.
The colour is a bit washed out from the flash.

cheers,
Ben

nicholas76
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 12:20 AM
hey ben

can you do a similar trial on your reds?

Ben
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 05:00 AM
Good idea Nick!

at the moment they have tetra bits as part of thier diet. But what i am after is some Astaxanthin/ Carophyll pink.

then the real trial can begin!

If any one knows where to buy it in pure form (not mixed with already prepared food) Please let me know!!

cheers,
Ben

nicholas76
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 05:17 AM
bud,

how about a trial run on a home made beef heart mix juiced with a high content of spirulina?

We all talk about how good sprirulina is, i woudnt mind putting that to the test!