PDA

View Full Version : <<Pplz help me plz>>

mcloughlin2
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 05:14 AM
Yeah my male jewelfish has this sac sorta thing hanging out its one of its gills!!! It is maybe half a fingernail big...can someone help me out plz??

-Mcloughlin2

marg
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 06:29 AM
Give SLS a ring - they may know what it is. Their Phone Number is on their advert. They are pretty helpful.

Merrilyn
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 06:45 AM
Doesn't sound good. Can you get a picture of it.

mcloughlin2
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 07:23 AM
I will try to get a picture as soon as i can...a better descrition of the sac is it is a pinkinsh colour and has a little white thing in it like a baby fish but thicker....

-Mcloughlin2

mcloughlin2
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 07:16 AM
No improvement as yet.....im drained of ideas to help the poor thing...seems to have managed to get one of his organs out of his body
*runs and vomits*
I am started to think the only human thing to do is put him out of his misery....can anyone help me????

-Mcloughlin2

Merrilyn
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 12:40 PM
Does the fish look like it's in distress? Is it still eating and swimming normally.? Then I'd just leave it.

If it starts to act stressed, or if it begins to go off it's food and hand in a corner looking miserable, then you may decide to put the poor thing to sleep.

The kindest way is with clove oil which you can obtain from the chemist. It will simply put the fish to sleep. Failing that, a short sharp blow to the back of the head, is quick and humane.

Sorry, but I don't like the freezing method. It takes too long.

marg
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 12:44 PM
Merrilyn how do you use the clove oil? I hope I don't ever have to use it, but it would be interesting to know how. Do you put it in its mouth? Sorry if I sound a bit dim, but I have never heard of it before .

Merrilyn
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 02:53 PM
The following is taken from a report by Andrew Bennett, Veterinary Surgeon, on the best way to euthanise fish.

http://www.andrewbennettvet.com.au/templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?Story_No=1885&specie=4

Clove oil is used to anaesthetize fish and is fatal to fish at doses greater than ¼ ml per litre of water. Clove oil is used in beer brewing and can be purchased through home-brewing outlets. It is also an aromatherapy oil, so try specialty outlets where oils are sold. Keep in mind that clove oil is classified as hazardous and can be irritating to the skin and eyes, and can be harmful if swallowed.

Since fish are cold-blooded, the brain can continue to function for a long time even after the heart and lungs have ceased functioning. Therefore it is possible for fish to recover from deep anaesthesia even if they are apparently dead because they are not breathing and have no heart beat. It can be very difficult to determine if a fish is dead, therefore, once the fish is deeply anaesthetized by leaving it in the solution for a couple of hours, it is recommended to freeze the fish, decapitate it or administer a sharp blow to the head to ensure it does not recover from anaesthesia.

marg
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks for that Merrilyn, very interesting. I have never had to euthanize a Fish before (hope I don't have to), but it is interesting to have that information on hand just in case.

mcloughlin2
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 05:48 AM
He has not eaten in around 5days...he has lost his bright red colour an has taken on a grayish pink colour....he doesnt move from the corner of the tank unless he is scared in that case he moves to a cave.....im guna give him just another day to see if he gets better if there is no improvement i will put him to sleep....

-Mcloughlin2

Merrilyn
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:23 PM
Sorry to hear that Mcloughlin. Sometimes there is just nothing we can do for them. :(

Doug Osborn
Tue Jan 04, 2011, 12:00 PM
And just a quick update to the URL for fish euthanasia (I looked for it, and the link has changed from the above): http://www.andrewbennettvet.com.au/PetCare/Articles/tabid/18794/Default.aspx?ArticleID=1885

Cheers,
Doug