PDA

View Full Version : Breeding tank filtration help

altye
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 04:43 AM
Im in the process of setting up a new stand of tanks for my killifish and thought i may as well set up a couple of 30x14x20 under my killifish tanks inthe hope i may get lucky and get a pair out of the four young ones i have in a 48x14x20 .Back to the question with my killifish all i use is the good old air driven corner filter with a little sera peat granules and filter wool and never have any trouble lossing fry being sucked into the filter,not that i have seen discus fry but im sure killifish fry would be a lot smaller. Most of what i have read on this forum say sponge filters are the way to go, is there any reason not to use corner filters, also i have put one in my 48x14x20 with peat granules just to help with p.h. is this ok or not.
Thanking you all in advance for any and all help
allan

DR.V
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 07:01 AM
I guess sponge filter or corner filter is okay.

But corner filter have small holes and some people afraid the fry will be sucked in even tho the suction is not that strong.

Good luck

Crocky
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 07:07 AM
Hi Allan
That all i'm useing the only problem i'm having is the fish lay there eggs on the box filter and when the wriggler hatch out the parent seem to move them to another spot on the filter.They seem to spit them in the slot up the top onto the filter wool and get traped in the box and die even when the flows right down and no top on.But they dont always,so if your got somrthing you can put over the slots and leave the top off it should be alright

Brad

Crocky
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 07:08 AM
Hi Allan
That all i'm useing the only problem i'm having is the fish lay there eggs on the box filter and when the wriggler hatch out the parent seem to move them to another spot on the filter.They seem to spit them in the slot up the top onto the filter wool and get traped in the box and die even when the flows right down and no top on.But they dont always,so if your got somrthing you can put over the slots and leave the top off it should be alright

Brad