PDA

View Full Version : Iron Chelate

Davo
Sat Jul 30, 2005, 10:02 AM
Has anyone used Manutec Iron Chelate 13% to increase their iron levels?

If you have how much should I mix with say 250mls or 500mls of water and then how much should I add to my tank?

Thanks,
Dave.

Supersnake
Sun Jul 31, 2005, 09:21 AM
PARDON MY IGNORANCE, BUT WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO INCREASE YOUR Fe CONTENT? MAYBE BETTER TO USE VITAMIN B COMPLEX

Benny
Sun Jul 31, 2005, 09:35 AM
for fertilising plants

Merrilyn
Sun Jul 31, 2005, 10:19 AM
Hi Norm, great to see you on the forum again. Welcome back :D

Roy
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 09:37 AM
IS that the stuff from Bunnings ??
I put a small teaspoon in some water and disolve it once a week then add it to the tank.
It helps that leaves, apparently :D

Roy

waterflash
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 11:47 AM
Hi Roy
I have been using it for about six months now. Small amouts are essential and I wouldn't just keep adding it without testing your iron Fe levels. You can get a test kit from your local fish shop. I have a 250ltr display tank and would only use 1/2 a teaspoon mix into a litre container then pour half in the tank maybe once a fortnight, sometimes longer. I find some plants begin to yellow quickly if the levels are low and so I use them as a bit of an indicator. WARNING, Manutec do a range of trace elements etc some have phosphates. It does sound like the same one I use. I scanned the packet for a diferent thread http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23416&highlight=manutec#23416

I hope the above url works, If not search Manutec and look for the subject Yellow Leafs. I would really be interested in your experiences with this product, it has been working well for me, but would love to know if anyone has come accross any probs. It really gets my goat what the LFS's are charging for iron.

Cheers

Robin[/url]

waterflash
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 02:12 PM
I said I have been using it for about 6 months, most likely more like a year. I went back and checked the diary and found my dosage averages about every 3 weeks.

Davo
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 11:40 PM
I ended up adding one teaspoon to the tank and a day later I tested my iron levels and they had risen from 0.05 to 0.2. I will wait a week and test again and if I need to I will add half a teaspoon.

waterflash
Wed Aug 03, 2005, 10:40 AM
Hi Davo
You sould be able to test within a few hours and get a reasonable reading. remember you only need 1mg/ltr when you test it. How big is your tank? As above I hardly have to put any in and it tests high.

Cheers

Robin

Davo
Wed Aug 03, 2005, 12:05 PM
waterflash,

I have a 4x2x2 (430 litre) tank. I have just bought a JBL Fe test kit and it seems pretty accurate.

Dave.