PDA

View Full Version : help need help

Jonesy
Sun May 02, 2004, 05:22 AM
hi all i just got 4 new discus thay are my first. on one of them has gone realy dark and has this white funge on it and it does not swim around much but when i fist got it it seem to be fine i have had it for about a week now i did a 25% water change i dont no what to do i checked p\h its at nautrul some of my other fish have that wight spott but i am treating that at the moment please help

jamesmc
Sun May 02, 2004, 06:07 AM
Hi Jonesy,

First of all, try not to worry. If you can isolate the fish in a hospital tank, that would be the best step. Raise the temperature in this tank to 32 degrees. Keep this tank clean with 50% water changes per day. Often, just this treatment alone is enough.

What exactly are the symptoms? Is it fungus? If so, where is it? Or is it white stringy poo? Is it eating?

If it seems like fungus, it's fairly easy to treat. Plain sea salt is pretty good with this. 1-2 tablespoons per 40 litres should do the trick. Leave the fish only in this well aerated solution for a few hours, and watch for any sign of distress. If this doesn't work, try potassium Permanganate or meth blue, making sure you do only 1 treatment at a time. Of course, there are many variations on exacty how to do it.

If it looks like white stringy poo, then metronidazole is the antibiotic of choice. Hope this helps.

Keep your show tank clean.

James

kevkoi
Sun May 02, 2004, 10:02 AM
Jonsey, I would also suggest you fill up your profile with a location so as we can further give you advice on whom to go see, if we know someone fairly well versed in fish disease treatment in your area. Also a location can help with sourcing and suggesting certain medications which may or may not be available where you are at.

kev

Jonesy
Tue May 04, 2004, 08:29 AM
hi kev i got this web site of you from your shop in kingsfrord my mate came to your house to check out all your fighiting fish i came and got some carbon and some bio starter i see how this goes for now. shoud i get some sea salt ?

Jonesy
Tue May 04, 2004, 08:34 AM
the fish is not eating it just stays in the one spot it looks like a bad case of wight spot . it looks like the skin is pelling of on its side p.s i dont have a hospital tank saving to buy one ....... i will try to get some sea salt on pay day

Jonesy
Tue May 04, 2004, 08:44 AM
to late just checked my tank the discus has gone to fishishy heven :( hope the others ones dont die thany seem to be fine.... hay kev when are you getting more discus in

flukes
Tue May 04, 2004, 09:48 AM
Was it white spot (ICH), I had this problem and it was a about a week before i treated it and he turned out fine. Might not have been white spot. Even though this one has past away you still want to find out what it was just incase it happens again or is still present in the tank.
They way my fish got white spot was by doing water changes with colder water, are you heating your water before water changes??

We still have to solve this problem, so let us know a bit more about the fish's symptoms.

kevkoi
Tue May 04, 2004, 11:11 AM
Sounds more like velvet to me than whitespot.

Mythelene blue and malachite green mixture is my prefered method of treatment including raising the temp up to 30degrees for the period of treatment.

kev

PS: I'll be in 2morrow, so come in and talk to me ok?