PDA

View Full Version : Discus newbie qs

Dude123
Sat May 01, 2004, 03:15 AM
Ive currently got a community tank and have been thinking about converting to a discus setup. Right now my pH is about 7.8. I know discus like lower pH but ive heard of them breeding at 7.6 and living in 8! I think matching it to the supplier is more important than the actual pH. The tank is a 50 US gallon, 36"x13"x25", with an AC300 and undergravel filter. The UGF is going to be taken out and another filter added, possibly a cannister of some sort. The tank is not planted but I would be willing to do low light but no co2. My current fish are 5 cories, a BN plec, a clow plec and a rubber plec, 4 kuhli loaches, a red tailed black shark, some kribs which are just waiting for their tank, a pair of black mollies and a pair of danios. And a few snails. The Danios and mollies will most likely be moved in a few weeks. Would I be able to keep and of my current fish with the discus? Ive heard of plecos sucking on their sides but have also heard that they do well. How many discus could I put into this tank.How often to discus require water changes? Ive heard anywhere from everyday to once a week. One more q. Is RO water needed if the fish are okay with the tapwater?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Proteus
Sat May 01, 2004, 05:32 AM
Dude my friend... Welcome...

Discus are addictive Dude... are you prepared to be converted...

you may never be able to go back... you will have what I call is the REAL "Discus Plague" (much like MTS - Multiple Tank Syndrome)...

There still is no known cure...

now, as to your questions... as for the pH, find out what your local supplier keeps them in (as you mentioned), remember, if you plan to breed them, then a pH around 6.5 is good, but there is an advantage of having neutral water, to even alkaline water... faster growth... Like most Discus myths, they are hardy when treated correctly... so if the water is 6.0 or 7.6, as long as they are acclimated correctly, and the water body is clean, you will be fine. As for a planted tank... depends what you want... most of mine are bare bottom, but planted tanks do nicely as well.. personal preference is the key.

As for Plecos, feed the well and they have no need to suck on the Dinnerplates... lol

water changes... there are many theories regarding this, if it was a bare bottom tank, I would suggest 10-30% every 1-2 days, a planted tank, every 3-4 days... but that is my personal preference, the more water changes (with aged water of equal chemistry) the healthier your fish will be, and the better they grow... The question should be... How many water changes are convenient for you each week or month???

tap water is fine IMO...

:wink:

Dude123
Sat May 01, 2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks Ro. I do at least 30% once a week on all of my tanks, Usually on weekends. Im pretty sure I could pull of another one or two during the week. What is the main reason for ageing water?

United21Soccer
Sat May 01, 2004, 07:05 PM
A good beginners site for discus questions is:

www.members.aol.com/bgdiscus/general.htm

As for the question about the water, the setup that works best for me and my fish is to have a bucket of some sorts filled with water for my next water change. I do this because the chlorine will be removed by just setting there for 24 hours, and i am able to adjust the PH quickly. This way, i don't have to worry about shocking the fish and maybe causing them to get sick. Also, you may want to have a heater so the water stays about the same temp. as your fish tank's. Another good reason for doing this is that you can make large water changes without shocking the fish if you have a disease problem. It is also very fast to complete your water changes. You can do the full water change, vacuum the bottom, and add the water you need in less than a half hour! No messing around adding water adjusting chemicals after you change the water either.

Hope that helps!

P.S. I also have the real discus syndrome

jamesmc
Sun May 02, 2004, 01:19 AM
Hi Dude,

Don't know where you live, but generally speaking Discus will do fine in hard water. R/O water isn't necessary. (Things are different if you plan to breed). Just keep up the w/c's!

It's best to start off with a bare bottom tank. If you want plants, put them in pots. It can have a great effect. In a tank your size, you will want to start off with abouty six youngsters, but as they grow, you will have to move them to a larger tank. Keeping discus in small numbers can lead to bullying and death.

Feed food from a reliable source. No dodgy bloodworms.

Discus do best in a single species tank. I think most of your fish wouldn't be a problem, but you never know. Cardinal tetras do well with them.

They like a warmer temp. 27-31 is good.

Discus really are tough fish, so enjoy the addiction! Theres no turning back!

James

luvfishies
Sun May 02, 2004, 02:20 AM
Dude, your water is pretty similar to mine, if I remember rightly. You're also on the same water source system (Lake Ontario)

Local discus or those acclimated at the lfs will be fine with our water. I don't pretreat my water, just with dechlor to address the chlorine and chloramines. I do filter over peat in the filters, and the mopani wood in the tank leaches tannins which soften and acidify the water SLOWLY.
When Juvies, discus need lots of food, thus they provide lots of waste, which is counteracted by lots of waterchanges. BareBottom, or planted, the choice is up to you, but it's definately easier to maintain the level of cleanliness discus prefer in a BB tank. That said, mine are over substrate and plants, and decor. They also get 2 @ weekly 40-50% w/c. When I first got them, they got 3-4 @ weekly w/c, with dechlored warm water.

As for the filtration, get another AC300 (if they are still on sale at SuperPet/PJs) and toss the UGF. You will be amazed at just how messy discus can be, and the sheer size of the poo!

Don't coddle your discus; treat them like hardy fish, and they WILL be hardy fish. I treated mine like fragile glass at first, and they were no better off for it, IMO. BUT that said, they did acclimate to less and less coddling over time, and didn't get skittish or stressed about it. Also, the hands in the tank all the time gets them used to you, and you become an association with GOOOOOD things (ooh! there's the shadow----food! Ooh, there's the shadow! ----nice clean water followed but FOOD!)

Sorry, got a little carried away there......but you get the idea ;)

flukes
Sun May 02, 2004, 08:00 AM
The tank might not be big enough for discus. I got my first 3 in a 3ft tank and i think it was a bad idea, they fight alot and i think if they are in there much longer they might be stunted. So now ive setup 65g's and moving them into a larger group. I didnt think having discus in small numbers would have such an effect on the way the grow but if i had my chance again they would have gone straight in a larger tank.
With my planted tank i do water changes just about everyday. Well 6 of 7 days a week. Now iam moving them too the barebottom i ll probably do it 2-3 times a week. A planted discus tank looks good but its easier to maintain a bare bottom. When i first got mine i thought are well it cant be that much difference but after a while you realise its alot easier with a bare bottom.
Anyway good luck in what ever you decide to do,..and now your an addict you'll have to get a quality dealer to get your discus fix!!

Dude123
Sun May 02, 2004, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys. The tank is and odd shape. :roll: Nice and tall though. Never seen another 50g high tank like it again. Flukes, how big was the 3ft, the other dimensions. The tank is only 3 feet but is quite tall and only 15g less then a 65. Im thinking about doing a substrate without plants at first and see how they do. How many discus would you suggest for a 50g tank? I dont mind cleaning the gravel as whenever I do WC, I also gravel vac the tank. Luvs, I picked up a pair of the AC's for my new 100g pred tank and planned to put one on the 50 for bacteria culture but it wont fit. The second opening in the hood is not as wide as the other and the AC output goesm over top of it and onto the back of the hood :evil: . Ill have to try and cut it wider.

flukes
Mon May 03, 2004, 05:48 AM
They say 10gal per adult discus. Didnt realise it was 50g's that big enough to get you started, but i am just warning you when you get them you will want more tanks!!. Its addictive. Which ever way you decide - planted or BB iam sure you will enjoy the fish. So good luck!!