PDA

View Full Version : Product Review: Ri Sheng Fluidised Bed Filter from Aquahobby

Mattzilla
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 01:54 AM
Hi guys, Russell from our new sponsor Aquahobby was kind enough to send me a Ri Sheng Fluidised Bed Filter to trial and conduct a product review for you all.

Before this i had never even heard of a fluidised bed filter, so i am asuming there are probably a few of you have have not eaither Here is some information Russell sent me to help me out.

About Fluidized Bed Filters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fluidized bed filters are rapidly becoming the primary source of biological filtration
in many modern aquaculture systems, replacing the less efficient "trickle"
filters now in service. While trickle filters and fluidized beds both rely
upon the same species of bacteria for ammonia and nitrite removal, it's how
the two filters operate that sets them apart. It's very helpful to remember
that in biological filtration, it's actually the bacteria that do the work;
the filter itself only provides a suitable "home" for the bacteria to colonize.

Trickle filters can best be described as open containers filled with various
forms of solid media. As water enters the top of the filter, it drains down
through this media in a random, cascading fashion. Since the media is stationary,
it relies upon the changing water currents to keep the bacterial surface area moist.

Fluidized bed filters, on the other hand, are flooded cylinders or tanks;
partially filled with a granular media, such as white quartz. Water upflows
through this media bed, causing it to expand and fluidize. The large number
of bacteria that colonize this expanded media serve to remove the nutrients
that are present in the flowing water. What results is a highly efficient filter
bed that is no longer solidly packed, but is in dynamic motion. It is this
combination that is the key to our Fluidized bed Filter's success.

While trickle filters may have relatively large amounts of surface area
(up to 200 square feet per cubic foot of media), it is virtually impossible
for bacteria to colonize all of it. This is because water will take the path
of least resistance as it moves down through the media, often leaving dry areas
and low flow, anaerobic pockets. Another serious problem with these filters is
called "bio-fouling". This occurs as particles of organic material lodge within
the filter bed. Once clogged, you have no choice but to tear the system down and
clean it. This is not a pleasant job; but if left unattended, your water quality
will rapidly degrade.

Fluidized bed filters, by design, do away with the trickle filter's
shortcomings. The most obvious benefit is that all of the filter's
large surface area is available for bacterial growth. With more than 6,200
square feet of surface area per cubic foot of media, you can quickly
understand why fluidized bed filters don't need to be nearly as large as
comparable trickle filters. Since the water is evenly distributed as it
flows through the cylinder, there are also no anaerobic pockets of bacteria
developing. The water that reaches the media is oxygen rich and very conducive
to rapid bacterial growth. Also, these filters are almost impossible to clog due
to the constant motion of the media. The filter bed is a mildly abrasive
environment that is constantly cleaning and renewing itself as it moves
quietly around inside the cylinder.

and here is the link to Aquahobby's web page where you can take a look at their selection of fluidised bed filters

http://www.aquahobby.com.au/shop/aquahobby/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=64

Mattzilla
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 01:56 AM
the model i recieved was the largest of their selection, the FLUIDIZED BED FILTER 2000L/H pictured below

here is the direct link

http://www.aquahobby.com.au/shop/aquahobby/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=492

Mattzilla
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 02:09 AM
The tank that it's being used in is a 2ft cube tank with approx. 200ltrs or water in it and 6 x 4" - 5" discus.
the current filtration includes a ehiem 2215 canister filter with ceramic noodles and matrix in it, a large air driven sponge filter and a hang on filter with filter wool in it. the tank did have a uv steraliser in it till about a week ago when i broke it...lol...should be back on the tank within the next week or so.

so it's fair to say that if anythign the tank is allready over filtered. so what am i expecting to see from using a fluidised bed filter you ask??? well from what i have been able to fins out from speaking to people is that this filter should significantly increase my biological filtration and really polish the clarity of my water. as i understand it these types of filters are commonly used in marine tanks for the above stated effects.

ok then.. so i recieved the filter with a pump to drive it a few days ago and i set it all up today. here are some pics of what i recieved

Mattzilla
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 02:11 AM
the pump that came with it that is used to drive the filter is a:

Hai Yang HY1800

Mattzilla
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 02:20 AM
as you can see with the filter there are very few parts which means it was easy as buggery to set up

the top of the filter has two inlets (well one is an outlet actually) both clearly marked with in and out the tubing provided just slips on them.

the filter is hung on the side or back of the tank much like a regular hang on filter.

the hose coming from the pump is attached to the in inlet and the hose coming from the out outlet goes back into the tank. i just have mine set up with the tubing going straight into the tank, but it can be (and i probably will) attach a spray bar to the end of it

i also attached a flow valve ($2 from Bunnings) between the pump and the inlet of the filter in aroder to conrtoll the amount of flow inside the filter itself. not enough flow and you would not get the continual movement of the media required....too much flow and you would have a tank full of media!

once i plugged it in at the power point i slowly adjusted the flow till i got the required amount. the amount required is just enough to get the media moving... almost like it is a sandy lava lamp...if that makes sense

here are some pics of it set up and operating on my tank

sorry the pictures are poor but it was difficult to take the pictures as i have the filter hanging on the back of my tank behind a hong on filter.

Mattzilla
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 02:22 AM
some more pictures

Mattzilla
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 02:24 AM
a few more pics

Mattzilla
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 02:30 AM
ok my initial observations are:

it's quiet, i can definately see how it could have such a polishing effect when you see the water flowing through the quarts media, the tubing in the tank looks a bit ugly but i only just set it up and set it up quickly... and i have too many tubes all over the place in my tank with nothing to hide them...i'm sure if i put my thinking cap on, i'll be able to adjust it so that it is better on the eye... with a planted tank the tubes would be easy to hide.

other than that i am looking forward to seeing if there are any changes to the tank once the filter is colonised with bacteria in about 2 weeks

i have not tested the water in my tank for anything for well over 4 months now (have not had a need to ....i kno i know that's bad isn't it), but i'll get out the test kits and start recording some results on a regular basis. i will continue my w/c as usual which is about 35% every 2-3 days ( water is aged a minimum of 24hrs, heated, airated and treated with ACN).

please feel free to ask any questions you may have

cheers

jim
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 03:22 AM
Hi Mattzilla, thanks for the review. I have been looking at this product for a while, but not sure if it's worth buying. Can I please ask few questions.

1. Is it possible to hook it up with my canister? that sure can hide the ugly tubing.
2. it seems there is no prefilter for this unit. Would it be a problem for heavy planted tank? As it will suck in leafs and some other particle (eg. food like tetra bits). Just afraid the filter will get clogged quickly without prefilter.
3. What's maintenance like? How often it needs to be maintenaned.

Sorry to ask so many questions. Thanks in advance.

Mattzilla
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 03:45 AM
1. Is it possible to hook it up with my canister? that sure can hide the ugly tubing.

yes i was just thinking that myself today. i can't see why not anyway

2. it seems there is no prefilter for this unit. Would it be a problem for heavy planted tank? As it will suck in leafs and some other particle (eg. food like tetra bits). Just afraid the filter will get clogged quickly without prefilter.

you are probably right there... a simple sponge over the intake of the pump would cover that...although i guess regularly checking inside the intake of the pump would be a good idea

3. What's maintenance like? How often it needs to be maintenaned.

as far as maintenance goes i am not really sure. froim the info i have recieve the filter in effect cleans itself with the constant movement of the media. i think any small bits of plants would actually just end up passing through the filter over a period of time as there is really nothing holding it in the filter appart from the moving media.

is there anyone out there who has some experience with this type of filter that could answer these questions a bit better? as this is a learning experienec for myself it is hard to accurately answer these questions until i actually experience the questions...if that makes sense..lol

DiscusWorld
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 08:00 AM
Ok here is the answer to the questions

1. No unfortunately a canister filter however you rate them normally only out put about 1000 l/h when full of media "if you don’t believe me test any brand you like" they also don’t have a very good head pressure. So normally you need to hook them up to a power head with a good pressure and flow egg small unit 1400l/h+, medium unit 1800l/h+, large unit 2000 l/h

2. Normally the profiler is not an issue even with the odd leaf going in the abrasive nature of the filter means it’s tuned in to composed very fast and eaten buy the bacteria. You can put a sponge on your pump but then you have to clean it. I don’t use any pre filter as this filter is biological and you should use in auxiliary with a canister or other filter

3. There is normally no maintenance at all with these filters just set them up and let them run they clean them self as the sand works through the filter.

hope this helps any questions please ask and I will try to answer them for you, P.S I also do other strange things im going to get matt to try like a protein skimmer on a fresh water tank the reason for this will be in upcoming reviews as well as an exiting new product we have had modified for aquarium use the AQUA-UPS its a uninterruptible power supply for the aquarium it auto starts when the power goes off and auto off when the power is restored. Remember no power = dead fish.

Mattzilla
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 08:41 AM
coooool...hahha

thanks for the help answering the questions...like i said this is a learning experience for me as well

Proteus
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 10:55 AM
protein skimmer on a fresh water tank

This is something I have been looking at, however it is not easy to find skimmer with an air stone that releases a fine enough density bubble (plus the prohibitive costs of some of the marquee brands such as AquaMedic... drools)

I have also believed FBF's to be a great addition to any tank, a very under-rated filtration device.

DiscusWorld
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 11:07 AM
ok what i do with my skimmers is run a nice exteranl unit stright after the fludized bed this aids in the de-gas of the water and re-airation and you can airate the water with out having to put airstones in the tank.
i dont like the look of air stones but thats only my view im not saying they dont look good to others we are currently re working the venturi to actuly try and get them to produce foam but if fresh water this is still nothing like you get from salt water.

Mattzilla
Sun Jul 31, 2005, 01:08 AM
Just a quick note to say that i am already amazed at home much the water has been polished in only a few days. i have always prided myself on keeping a clean tank with clean clear water but it dead set looks like my fish are floating on air!

very impressed so far. i have been working flat out the last few days and probably will be doing the same for the next few days but i'll get the test kits out asap and post some results there

cheers

DR.V
Sun Jul 31, 2005, 02:38 PM
Hi all , just wondering how often should you clean this type of filter and also how ?

For aquahobby , do you sell the filter itself ? without the pump ?

Thanks

Mattzilla
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 12:13 AM
"There is normally no maintenance at all with these filters just set them up and let them run they clean them self as the sand works through the filter. "

click on the links below for sales at aquahobby:

http://www.aquahobby.com.au/shop/aquahobby/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=492

DiscusWorld
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 04:46 AM
ok just to reply to a post up the page
Matt has answered the cleaning question, thanks matt
we sell these filters with or with out the pump, we recoment a pump with a good head presure, some pumps are over rated so we recomend going with a larger pump and then using a tap so you can ajust the motion of the sand in the filter to perfection.

we recomend a 1200l/h for our sall unit, a 1800l/h for our medium and a 2000+ (2300)l/h for the large unit.

i will try and post a AVI or mpg of the filter in motion to help show how they work.

DR.V
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 06:45 AM
WOW no maintenance ?? I think I should order one soon hehehe.... I just hate cleaning filters ...

Mattzilla
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 07:13 AM
ditto... cleaning filters sucks!!!

Davo
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 12:39 PM
Matt,

I have heard that the only drawback that the FBF have is that they can deplete the level of oxygen in the tank. Is this true? I have also read that they are not suitable for planted tanks.

If this is incorrect I would be interested in buying one for my planted tank.

Dave.

Mattzilla
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 01:00 PM
i'm not sure???? perhaps Russell from aquahobby or proteus might be able to answer those questions...

hey davo...has she paired up yet??

Billy
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 02:03 PM
hi matt,

Just wondering what happens in case of power failure ?? looks like it will siphon back into ur tank!! since like the water level is slightly higher in the fbf than ur tank!!

can u do a test on that ??

i m very interested in getting one of them !!

Thx

Mattzilla
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:48 AM
i will try a power failure today for you

Mattzilla
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 01:01 AM
ok, just turned all the power off and nothing happened. the filter chamber remained full of water and the media settled. nothing siphoned back inot the tank at all actually. when i turned the power back on the filter media started moving again and water began to flow through it again.

results= fbf and tank will survive a power failure without messing up your tank or filter

Billy
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 01:33 AM
thanks for the test, Matt

now i have no worries in buying one of them.

:D

marg
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 06:58 AM
Matt :

Question (1) Have you completely removed all other forms of filtration from the tank and are you solely relying on this method of Filtration?

Question (2) Have you been given any idea as to the cost of the whole unit including the pump?

My reason for asking is that I have been saving pennies in order to buy a larger cannister filter than the one I have, in order to do away with an old undergravel filter and a small enheim that I am currently using on my 4 foot tank.

If this Fluidized Bed Filter works well then I would most likely be better off with one of them (would save cleaning filters which I hate doing), I am starting to think.

Mattzilla
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 07:02 AM
no i havn't removed all other filtration basically because i am not willing to risk losing all my discus!!!! and i only have one discus tank so i could not split them up or anything

i believe howvere that it is not reccomended that they be the only source of filtration...a canister filter and a fbf would be a great combo i think

cost = check out their website. here is a link to the exact product

i believe shipping is fre for these items

you will have to look in the pumps also

Proteus
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 08:37 AM
FBF are a great supplimentary filtration medium, i.e. to use in conjunction with another filter.

(unless I am mistaken)

marg
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 09:53 AM
Okay, thanks guys. looks like I will still have to go for the new Filter, and look at the Fluidized Bed for later.

Mattzilla
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 10:03 AM
didn't you say you hade an ehiem canister filter already??? is it broken?

spencer
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 01:07 PM
Hi
just a question for Russell at Aquahobby
"we recomend a 1200l/h for our sall unit, a 1800l/h for our medium and a 2000+ (2300)l/h for the large unit."

Do you stock these pumps (I only see 2 on your site) or do you recomend any particular type?
Would prefer to order filter & pump together
Cheers max

ps,are these the same FBF as the type you have on ebay?

DiscusWorld
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 01:25 PM
yes i hate cleaning them as well

thats why i think these are great
i still recomend a canister filter for removal of solids and you can pack a bit more floss in it as you are doing the biological part in the fludized bed.

marg
Wed Aug 03, 2005, 04:37 AM
Matt:

There is nothing wrong with the Eheim, it is just too small (it is only a 2011). I want to do away with the Undergravel Filter. When I got the tank (it is a second hand 4 footer) it had the Eheim Filter and the UGF. After joining this forum I have learnt that UGF's are not really suited to Discus, hence the need for a larger Filter.

AussieStar
Wed Aug 03, 2005, 12:08 PM
k, i have a breeding tank that contains a massive colony of e.yellows. Its a 180 gallon and i run 2 404s of it, but would one 4o4 and one of these FBF work? going on the findings i would think that it would be fine. Another question is could the biggest one support a 180 by its self?

Mattzilla
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 07:39 AM
margot - good move getting rid of the ugf...they are bad news with discus. perhaps the ehiem filter isn't too smalll when used in conjunction with a fbf...the fbf filter would take care of the bioload and the canister would take care of the partical filtration... i guess anyway. might be able to get away without having to buy a new canister filter that's all

AussieStar - ditto from above
i don't think fbf are meant to be used as the sole filtration of a tank so i don't think it would cover the 180 by itself

Mattzilla
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 03:30 AM
Just got back from 5 days at the snow....

i did a 40% w/c before i left and simply turned the lights off and closed the curtains. got back and after 5 days without food or an w/c all discus are just fine. in fact it's scary how fine they are. they where at the front of the tank begging for food...like nothing ever happened. i did a w/c this morning and the pb that spawned the other night is cleaning her croner again.

i'd have to say that in the past when i have gone away to the snow and done the same thing, my fish have been freaking by the time i got home. this just shows how much the fbf has stabalised my tanks water peramiters.

it's good to know that if i have to go away for a few days or neglect the tank for a while that the water peramiters stability is not at risk.

it's a bit like a security blanket...if you know what i mean

anti-generic
Sun Sep 18, 2005, 10:14 AM
HELP.!!
My Ri Sheng Fluidised Bed Filter from Aquahobby is leaking.!!!
Woke up this morning and found a pool of water on the floor.
looked around and found a stream of water leaking from the middle of the bottom plastic cover.

Is there a warranty for this product?
Im sure this is a product failure.

cody
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 11:51 PM
I guess i should follow this one up.
The fbf on my oscar tank started leaking about a month a go an near drownd halph my lounge room
So i give the good people at aqua hobby a bell an
they infomed this had happened on two or three occasions where a bit of sand had eroded through the bottom plastic an they streight up sent me a new one with a thicker base plate.
So apart from a few dramas im very happy with the product an aqua hobbys sevice
Thank you

Mattzilla
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 12:06 PM
mine has been running for approx. 5months now and i have not had a problem wiht it at all. aguahobby had also added a thicker bas plate to my fbf.

Mr_K
Thu Jan 19, 2006, 12:57 PM
Hi Matt,

I am quite interested in this product as my cannister is working overtime on my tank currently. The thing I need to know is how much room do you need to have between the tank and the wall to fit it in? I am not moving a 500kg tank so dimensions are crucial.

Thanks

Adam

Dkarc
Fri Jan 20, 2006, 07:25 AM
There are two things you must be careful about when using a FBF. #1, the sand can and will get sticky after a while due to the bacteria growing on it. This isnt a problem when it is operating, but when a power failure hits and the sand settles, it will stick together...this will lead to the FBF sand not "re-fluidizing" and leaving you with a dead bio. To fix this, place about 4-5cm of gravel along the bottom of the FBF container...this will give less resistance to the pump when it starts back up and will allow the sand to re-fluidize because the gravel has space between each piece and will allow water flow. This will allow water to flow properly and not "channel" the water through the filter. #2, a FBF can and will lower the Oxygen saturation in the water!! This is because of how efficient the filter works...works almost too well at times. For the most part, this isnt a big concern for smaller units, but once you get into the larger FBF and using them in conjunction with heavy stocking densities, watch the O2 levels. Other than that, FBF work great and are more than capable of being the sole biological filter source...but it is always a good idea to run another form of bio as a back up incase the FBF dies on you. Just my 2 cents.

-Ryan