PDA

View Full Version : Moving fish.

flukes
Fri Apr 30, 2004, 09:31 AM
Ok well ive setup my new tank and iam ready to move the 3 discus i have in the 3fter to a 4fter. Just wondering whats the best way to go about it.?
I was thinking, adding water from the tank to the bag and adding some melafix (Always helps) Also i was going to use bags with newspaper around them and the lights would be off the whole time. I have about 0.2 difference in Ph between tanks so i was wondering how i should go about floating the bags?? The temperature should be the same so should i just put them straight in or float it and add some water slowly. I know when i got the fish from kev he told me not to add water just to get the temperature the same, but that was after long travel this is about a 10meter walk. Any suggests or expressions of experience would be great.

Cheers
Scott

P.S - New Tanks = new dickies!! (what to get, what to get?)
Thinking wild strains this time..

kevkoi
Fri Apr 30, 2004, 01:47 PM
U get a couple of rummy nose tetras from your old tank into this new tank of yours for about 3-4days. If they go well, walk 10m to you old tank, bring a nice soft net, catch one discus.... walk 10m back to your newly set up tank..... plonk it in. :lol: If the discus are nice and healthy, the temperature and pH are the same, the water is good (ie no heavy metals or residue etc etc ... or in short, your tetras have survived fine), the new filter has been properly matured, no point bagging the fish and further stressing it for a move that is 10m away!! :?

*repeat procedure another 2 more times with the other 2 discus.

Stop over fussing..... Treat them like they are tough healthy fish and they will be.

Proteus
Fri Apr 30, 2004, 02:02 PM
Stop over fussing..... Treat them like they are tough healthy fish and they will be.

:P lol

Scott, as kev has mentioned, as long as the water is comparible to what is in the older tank, and a adequate biological bed is formed, just plonk em in... be nice, and head first... :wink:

flukes
Sat May 01, 2004, 02:06 AM
There is a slight ph differnce, but it seem to be getting more as the tank cycles. But the new tank is higher than the old one, and ive read somewhere that going up in ph is better than going down.

Proteus - Dont worry i played basketball for 8 years, i should beable to throw them straight into the new tank :shock: j/king But i do pamper them a bit too much :oops: cant help it!!