PDA

View Full Version : help with new planted discus tank! fert/lighting

keVerns
Wed Jul 27, 2005, 07:39 PM
Hi people,

i'm looking to re-do my tank...starting from complete scratch again. Going thru the proper procedures to obtain a mad ass planted tank.

Tank details and what i have currently:
3x2x2" tank
2x 3ft lighting (60watt in total)
co2 pressurized setup
ehiem 2213
temp: 27degrees

First of all which fert for substrate should i use.
Atm my thoughts are on either
JBL aquabasis or
Aqua Medic Terralit

what are your thoughts on either of these 2 products?

Secondly, what type of gravel setup should i use?

#1 -
bottom layer as clay
top layer with pool sand mixed in with jbl or aquamedic

#2 -
fine 2mm white gravel with jbl or aquamedic mixed in

any problems having the sand?

i am planning to grow plants such as javaferns/sword/glosso/riccia

Thirdly, lighting... i will be upgrading to put in another 2x 30watt globes... having 4x 30watt.. is this sufficient enough for my plants? Should i run any particular bulb setting.. my thought atm are 2x nec tri and 2x aqua-glo.

Co2 presurized setup i already have...running internal reactor inlined with filter outlet and d class tank.. should be enough to last 1.5 years.

Any other advices for a nice planted tank?

Kevin

forgot to mention... does anyone have any good links of different types of setups as well as step by step procedures?

another thing i forgot to ask is... is it ok to cut up one of those cheapo 4ft reflectors that you would find at hardware places into a 3ft? as 4ft uses 37-40watt globes and 3ft with 30watt... would it be dangerous or something? only thought of this as my dads factory had their lighting replaced and i kept a few just incase it was useful. trying to save a money rather than buying another reflector as well as the globes.

Main question is.. would the tube of a 30watt be able to use with a 37-40watt setup.

Davo
Thu Jul 28, 2005, 06:30 AM
Have a llok at www.aquatic-gardeners.org. Then go to the aquascaping contest page and have a look at all the entries and winners.

Dave.

keVerns
Thu Jul 28, 2005, 05:00 PM
thanx dave

duck
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 06:12 AM
Hi
Lighting
You have enough light to grow nice range of plants but IMO to grow glosso and riccia you need a bit more lighting,That's not to say they won't grow with the amount of light you have.
As for the light don't stress to much about the type you get,As long as you like the colour.
Substrate
I personally haven't used any of the product you have mentioned.But i have had plants grow in normal gravel and at the moment i have an enriched substrate.
You pretty much got everthing else.

keVerns
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 06:30 PM
well, i've upgrade my light anyways as i plan to grow some kind of carpet plant yet to be determined.

gravel setup im going with this:

Bottom layer 1"
potting mix vermiculite(no fert)
mix with top soil (no fert)

Middle layer 2"
potting mix vermiculite(no fert)
mix with top soil (no fert)
mix Aqua Medic Terralit

Top layer 2-4"
fine gravel, 2mm

what do you guys think about that? i decided to have a mix of this as it provide a wider range of macro and micro nutrient elements such as calcium,iron,magnesium etc

from this site
http://home.infinet.net/teban/jamie.htm

keVerns
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 07:04 PM
mmm just reading a few pool filter sand post... it's gotten me thinking about using sand instead of gravel..

for a planted tank... i intend on putting in carpet plants and swords and javas etc... which one is better... sand or gravel.

at the end of the day, i dont really care about its looks as i want my carpet plants covering the floor.

but can sand pose a danger to plants? i hear from some other sites that few ppl that have tried.. find that the sand suffocates the plant roots causing the plant to die?

and on other sites.. i find that they're going good.

anyone got advice...as im quite confused... my main question would be...which one is better to use for a heavily planted tanked?

Davo
Sat Jul 30, 2005, 01:42 AM
Auburn Aquariums have a sand/gravel mix which is pretty good. I think it is $25 for 20 kg or vice versa.

Dave.

duck
Sat Jul 30, 2005, 05:24 AM
You are going to alot of trouble for the substrate aren't you.
Just think about it 6months to year down the track when you want to move things around or before.
IMHO Just go with a plain small sized gravel or an enriched substrate.

kalebjarrod
Sat Jul 30, 2005, 06:57 AM
i'm with duck

the substrate will be moved around afetr 6 mths

you will get bored with the tank and want to try somthing new

i am trailing worm casting's, kitty litter and pool sand

AussieStar
Sun Aug 07, 2005, 08:26 AM
yea i went to the trouble you are and about 6 months into, changed the whole tank and basically screwed it all up,

okrazykat
Fri Aug 12, 2005, 05:54 PM
A mix of substrate of various sizes won't stay put. The smaller particles will find their way to the bottom, and the larger pieces will rise to the top, no matter what you do. Fertilized substrates will leach elements into the water as needed, more or less. You will still need to measure and add to these elements as neccessary, in the future. The only difference being that the proximity of the substrate to the roots will help a little. The most important thing is what looks best. For instance, if you put in a reddish iron-rich substrate at the bottom, then cover it with sand, in a couple months you'll have a red and white peppered substrate to look at. At that point you may be inclined to tear up the tank and start over.
I find that sand is much harder to vacuum and maintain than gravel, and I feel that Discus are more comfortable with a darker substrate. You also want as much water circulation in the substrate as possible to carry added nutrients and to prevent Anaerobic bacterial formation. A deep sand bed will prevent circulation of water, and inhibit the delivery of oxygen and nutrients. As you mentioned, you want to cover the substrate with grass, and this will mean even less of an opportunity to vacuum and sift the substrate. If you do go with the sand, make sure it is completely inert, and not comprised of calcium carbonte that will increase your hardness and pH.
Something to think about.