PDA

View Full Version : AA 24w Internal UV Steriliser now available !!

AgeofAquariums
Wed Jul 27, 2005, 06:23 AM
Hi All,

We now have the AA 24w Internal UV's in stock. Here is a link,

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod1107.htm

And priced at only $120.00ea they represent brillant value for money.

Ben :D

Ben
Wed Jul 27, 2005, 06:58 AM
Great deal going on there for these units!

I own one of these 24 watt uv's and it works a treat!
highly recommended to those that do not have a cannister filter but want to operate a uv within thier aquarium.

cheers,

Ben

merman
Wed Jul 27, 2005, 11:03 PM
Just ordered mine can't wait : ) )

tara
Sun Jul 31, 2005, 12:58 PM
Do people think the uv sterilises are a needed? what are the advantages?
I have just got a Aqua-one, all in one 200ltr tank. Please advise me as I am new. Also if I did get one would I only need the smaller 9 watt one ?

Merrilyn
Sun Jul 31, 2005, 01:39 PM
Hi Tara. A lot of us are using UV on our tanks. I personally have it on every discus tank, and wouldn't be without it now.

I'ts just an added form of insurance. Our discus fish are expensive and deserve the best care.

When you think of them in their natural home in the Amazon, the bacteria count in that water is extremely low. We are simply trying to duplicate that environment. Certainly healthy fish can fight off a lot of bacteria, but do you really want them to?

Better to provide an almost bacteria free environment, same as their natural home.

The smaller unit will be fine for a 200 ltr tank, but do remember to change the globe frequently. I would suggest every 6 to 8 months to be safe.

Mattzilla
Sun Jul 31, 2005, 01:57 PM
ben do you stock the relplacement globe? and how much are they please?

thanks

tara
Sun Jul 31, 2005, 02:18 PM
What is involved in putting them in ?
They look pretty basic but it's better to find out first.

AgeofAquariums
Sun Jul 31, 2005, 09:49 PM
ben do you stock the relplacement globe? and how much are they please?

thanks

Hi Matthew,

Replacement bulbs 9 watt $15.00 , 24 watt $30.00. Here is a link,

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category52_1.htm

Mattzilla
Sun Jul 31, 2005, 11:58 PM
thanks mate

good prices as well!!!!

jim
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 01:15 AM
Can I know who is the maker for the tube?? Phillip?? NEC??

Is it easy to replace? I current own a german one called AquaPro..It's a pain to replace the tube..
Thanks

AgeofAquariums
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 03:09 AM
Can I know who is the maker for the tube?? Phillip?? NEC??

Is it easy to replace? I current own a german one called AquaPro..It's a pain to replace the tube..
Thanks

Hi Jim,

Extremely easy to replace. Simply disconnect the uv unit off the pump and connect a new unit/bulb.

Ben

jim from sydney
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 11:11 AM
Hi Ben.....tell me this, does this unit also control parasites or only bacteria???? i believe some units do only control bacteria, and do you always keep the replacement tubes in stock?? thanks ..Jim

AgeofAquariums
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 03:24 AM
Hi Jim,

To my knowledge they do both parasites and bacteria. We will always keep good stock of the bulbs.

jim from sydney
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 11:40 AM
Hi Ben.....thanks for that info, will ring you on Monday to order one of these units...Jim

Proteus
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 11:44 AM
I think they are closed on Monday

:wink:

exile
Sat Aug 06, 2005, 07:28 AM
I have just purchased 1 of these uv units :D
just 1 question what is the airline hose on top of the powerhead for?

cheers

jim from sydney
Mon Aug 08, 2005, 03:59 AM
I think they are closed on Monday

:wink:

oops Tuesday...thanks

oscar
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 08:40 PM
Is there a significant difference between the capability of the internal & external varieties?

Reason i ask is the the 24W AA internal job says it's good for a tank up to 400L.

Whereas i find on the Aqua-hobby website (offering 20% discount) external/inline 6W UV steriliser good for up to 1890L tank!

This is a significant difference in claim. Does this have anything to do with the difference between 12V & 240V?

Proteus
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 09:35 PM
The 24w unit comes with a pump, which is rated to a specific flow rate. Whereas with external units you can add wht ever speed pump/powerhead you like (the more exposure time the better result).

Also you will find the external units are much larger, therefore being able to accomodate more water exposure.

On the other hand you must understand that claims such as 6w treats 1890L mainly relates to Algael control as well as some parasite control. To get total elimination of the nasties, a larger wattage, or very slow flow rate would be needed.

At the end of the day, either option, external or internal is far better than no protection at all.

oscar
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 10:07 PM
i have two tanks i want to put UV Sterilisers on firtst-up. A 4x18x18, and a 3x18x18. The former utlises a 1000lph cannister, and the latter, a 600lph cannister. i also plan to shift them up a bit to be 1200lph, and 1000lph respectively at some point in the near future.

What type/size of UV steriliser would be my best/recommended option?

jim from sydney
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 01:39 AM
i have two tanks i want to put UV Sterilisers on firtst-up. A 4x18x18, and a 3x18x18. The former utlises a 1000lph cannister, and the latter, a 600lph cannister. i also plan to shift them up a bit to be 1200lph, and 1000lph respectively at some point in the near future.

What type/size of UV steriliser would be my best/recommended option?

Oscar I have much the same 4ft tank ext canister and have added 24W UV to it...man it works like a charm!!!! crystal clear and a real beaut...Jim

oscar
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 02:29 AM
Jim,
I presume that you are referring to a 24W internal unit.

I was hoping to get away from internal unit (to minimise the presence of bulky artificial items in the tank), but its beginning to sound as though they are the way to go.

Benny
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 03:29 AM
i got a 24W internal on my 48" * 19" * 24" and also works unbelievably well!!! for the money there is no other 24W uv available....

I am particularly satisfied, and my fishies seem to be happy with it too :D

jim from sydney
Thu Aug 18, 2005, 03:29 AM
Jim,
I presume that you are referring to a 24W internal unit.

I was hoping to get away from internal unit (to minimise the presence of bulky artificial items in the tank), but its beginning to sound as though they are the way to go.

yes internal....great value..just bought 2 more....
.looks fine...jim

oscar
Thu Aug 18, 2005, 03:34 AM
I bit the bullet, and ordered 2 x 24W units this morning.

Ben tells me that sales volume of these units has gone crazy since this thread was posted. Good cheap advertising huh.

jim from sydney
Thu Aug 18, 2005, 06:32 AM
No wonder it is a great unit.....Jim

Crocky
Mon Aug 22, 2005, 10:06 AM
Hi

Can someone tell me which way should the spounge be faceing on the uv just under the power head or out the back.Just brought 2 and when looking at the picture on the box and instruction they seem to be one of each..

Thanks Brad C

jim from sydney
Mon Aug 22, 2005, 10:19 AM
Brad.....makes no difference which way as the sponge is the filter and water will go thru it anyway......i have mine facing towards the edge of the glass and it works fine....Jim

Ben
Fri Sep 23, 2005, 12:38 PM
Ben, i was just wondering if the little sponges are available to buy by themselfs? as washing them often has made mine wear out and not fit.

I spose i could buy some sponge and cut it to size, but i find it a bit tricky cutting straight.

Ben

oscar
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 10:00 PM
I second that. A packet of these would be very handy.

HappyGutZ
Sun Feb 26, 2006, 10:50 AM
hi, i'm new to this site, and am also planning to buy a UV sterilizer, does this unit have an adjustable flow rate?