PDA

View Full Version : How Many Spawns Can They Have Before Burnout???

animagusbc
Tue Jul 26, 2005, 05:54 PM
Hey there.

Can anybody tell me how many spawns that Discus can have before I separate them? Should I just let nature take it's course as I dont' want to burn them out. This is now their 3rd spawn and everything is going well. Still taking care of them and fanning/blowing the eggs.

Any info would be great.

Thanks again.

Jonathan

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 27, 2005, 04:03 PM
Interesting question Jonathan, with a lot of answers.

It's all going to depend on the size of the brood, the age of the parents, how long you leave the fry with the parents, and how well the parents eat while carrying the fry.

A small brood left with the parents for only a couple of weeks will not cause as much stress to the parents as, say, a large brood left with the parents for a month.

I also find that the brood size drops off after they have bred for two or three times in succession.

All pairs are different. Some eat really well while they have fry on their backs, and some don't. It's something you will need to make a judgement call on.

animagusbc
Wed Jul 27, 2005, 05:05 PM
Thanks Ladyred...

I have been feeding the parents 2 - 3X a day with and without the fry. They are currently being fed Bloodworms, Mysis Shrimp and Beefheart Mixture. I was told by another Discus breeder not to feed so much but I figure that if they are happy and well fed, they won't eat the fry and it's worked out so far. The parents seem quite healthy and no holes in the skin from the fry eating the slimecoat.

The 1st and 2nd batch are already on their own and eating BBS, Grindal Worms and bits and pieces of beef heart. They're like little piranhas when they eat. Just hilarious.

I have heard that if you separate the parents that they sometimes will not breed again together. Is this true?

Thanks again Ladyred and have a good one.

Jonathan