PDA

View Full Version : My First Spawn

tank
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 01:02 PM
How good is it when you get your first spawn
the pair layed on a bit of driftwood in my community tank now what do i do

DR.V
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 01:45 PM
Keep an eye on them. There's only a small percentange that the fry will survive in a community tank. But they may survive. Maybe you want to consider a breeding tank ?

oldschoolculture
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 01:52 PM
COngratulations,

thats awesome.
If u want babies then id definately consider a breeding tank.

tank
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 01:52 PM
I have one breeding tank and one on tne way but i have two red turks in them purchased only a few days ago and iam seeding in a new sponge filter for the second tank to late to move them into the other tank and tranfer the turks to the community tank?

DR.V
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 02:05 PM
Its up to you. Does the red turk already started spawning ? If they have, might better leave them alone.

Good luck with the fry ^^

geral
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 04:23 PM
question about new hatched: is it normal to wrigglers to spent 3 days until got free swimming? i have a batch of maybe 75 babies and they still with their yolk sack but is black, and they are attached to the spawning site yet. i need to worry about that?
regards

Merrilyn
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 11:03 PM
Hi Geral, you've got wrigglers, that's wonderful.

Yes, they can certainly spend three days on the cone before they go free swimming. You should find they begin swimming today. See if you can slow your filter down, to make it easier for the fry to attach to the parents.

tank
Tue Jul 26, 2005, 03:38 AM
What about water changes can i do them now while they have spawned

DR.V
Tue Jul 26, 2005, 09:31 AM
Of course. In fact you must keep the water as clean as possible.

When you do the water change, do it carefully so you dont scare them. Also when adding new water try not to make a lot of splash.

I use hose for this and dip it into the water, so there no splash at all.

Good luck

tank
Wed Jul 27, 2005, 01:33 PM
All the highs and the lows just in two days of being a would be breeder
The hungry mother just laid her self a meal
She ate all of em up :cry:

Ben
Wed Jul 27, 2005, 01:36 PM
geeez sorry to hear the bad news Vince, but they will be at it again very soon.

With some pairs it will take time for them to get it right!

Keep us posted,

Cheers,

Ben

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 27, 2005, 03:56 PM
Keep trying Vince. It can take them up to 10 or more spawns before they get it right. Just give them some time, and they should lay again in another week or so.

Once they start spawning, they usually keep going till they manage to raise a brood of fry.

geral
Thu Jul 28, 2005, 02:45 AM
recentily i got it, parents take a lot of care of eggs and wigglers while they were attached, but once they go free swim, parents stop caring them and ate almost all of them. now there are maybe 3 or 4 babies in the breeding tank hidden, but i'm sure they will not survive. this babies are the 1st ones they get, they could stop eating them or this is what will happen on every spawn?
regards

tank
Thu Jul 28, 2005, 04:08 AM
LR
i have them in community tank should i think about moving them to the breeding tank i have set up or just leave them alone for awhile

gerel why dont u remove the wrigglers form the tank or the parents

geral
Thu Jul 28, 2005, 12:53 PM
i think it will be very difficult to raise babies by hand