PDA

View Full Version : cannister filter

dismatt
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 09:52 AM
hi everyone have just noticed the female laying eggs on the cone ive got a cannister filter in there thats connected to a uv light i also have a sponge filter in there aswell if i turn the cannister off will the bacteria in the cannister be alright also the eggs have just been layed how long after should i turn the cannister off and what do i do from now until there free swimming sorry first time for me. cheers matt :D :lol:

Merrilyn
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:45 AM
Hey Matt, Congratulations :wave2

Your cannister will be fine in the tank. If you take it out, the bacteria will die off, unless you can transfer it to another tank with fish in it. Bacteria need not only oxygen, but a source of ammonia to survive. Turn off the oxygen and they die. Take away the ammonia, and they starve and die off too.

If you can turn the filter down, that would be good, otherwise simply turn the spray bar so that it creates minimal current in the tank. Be sure to wrap the filter intake with white filter wool, to prevent fry being sucked into the filter.

Good luck Matt.

Keep us posted.

dismatt
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks ladyred your help is really good couldnt have got thisfar without you thanks heaps :D :D :D

dismatt
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:53 AM
hi when do i need to start wrapping the filters in filter wool. cheers matt :D :D

Merrilyn
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 11:24 PM
As soon as the eggs have been laid, but certainly before the fry have become ftee swimming.

A lot of spawns have mysteriously disappeared out of the tank, only to be found in the filter.
A bit of filter wool held on with elastic bands stops the tiny fry from being sucked into the filter.

Dave76
Tue Jul 26, 2005, 12:25 AM
Well done Matt

Glad your discus have finally decided to spawn for you :)

Where'd you manage to track a cone down from ?

Dave