PDA

View Full Version : painting my tanks.

discusguy
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 11:36 PM
what paint do i use that is safe? what colors do you like best? post some pics of your tanks please.

glstine
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 02:38 AM
Are you talking about painting the back, outside the tank, if so I have used paint for metals, though it will scratch off fairly easily. If talking about the inside, I suppose you could use a food safe epoxy paint, I've read about people painting wood tanks with them. Personally, I like black or dark blue for a background.

discusguy
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 02:53 AM
the background of the tank, the actuall glass.

Mattzilla
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 07:46 AM
i used 3 coats of high gloss enamle sky blue paint on my tanks and they look great. i bought some cheap rollers to apply the paint.

hth

discusguy
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 11:09 AM
does it last better than spray paint?

wyldchyld01
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 01:21 PM
am with you, i too am looking at painting the tanks, outsides, thought there might be some effect with the fumes if your using air pumps within a closed space, some tanks i am doing outside while i've got them empty,

colour of choice, sky blue half strength, back and two sides with cheap rollers.

hth

Brenton

teflon
Mon Aug 29, 2005, 07:46 AM
I got my paint from BIG W- 4 litres of grey for $9.
I got cheap rollers and gave them a very light coat every to hours (that way the previous coat is dry) do it over a day and they are ready to use!

Don't use spray paint on your tanks as i dont think they will benifit the fish ;)

wyldchyld01
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 09:37 AM
Hey all,

just painted the tanks the other day, opened the door to the fish-house on a nice spring day, fish still inside, ran a hose from outside to the airpump (no fumes pumped into tanks).

paint choice changed, norwegian blue, half strength (wattyl clr), dulux white base. 1 ltr 16 bucks but it did 14 tanks 2 sides and backs, used an edger to apply paint.

all fish love the new look, and it is so so so much easier to see the algae etc, thought the tanks were clean until i painted them.

Brenton

Ben
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 11:11 AM
A little trick i learnt is to paint the bottom aswell, this will stop the reflection when looking into the tank.

Ben

DR.V
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 02:45 PM
I paint my breeding tank with blue paint

I use spray paint, you can use roller as well, but u must do it nicely.

Coz if u use roller and not doing a good job, when you turn on the aquarium light u can see the lines and to me thats ugly.

I buy the spray paint from bunning for $6. With spray paint it will go smooth and looks great under light.

Good luck

teflon
Sat Sep 10, 2005, 11:57 AM
Sorry DR.V I have to disagree, Dont use spray paint on your tanks certain brands are known to cause cancer in humans so it definently not good for fish. DR.V if you paint it with a roller and do about 7 coats you dont get steak marks at all and I can say the finish is alot better then spray paint. Trust me i have had experience with spray paint you have never even heard of ;)

DR.V
Sat Sep 10, 2005, 12:49 PM
Trust me i have had experience with spray paint you have never even heard of ;)

Its okey, everyone got different opinions :P
Well I dont paint inside the tank ... I paint outside... and after I painted I leave them in the backyard under the sun for a week to get rid of the smell.
Spray paint works well for me because it cost less than roller. Thats all :P

Hmm sounds interesting... want to share with us what kind of experience is that ? Hehe