PDA

View Full Version : Skinny discus

Lex
Thu Apr 29, 2004, 10:08 AM
Can someone tell me whats going on with my discus. I feed them bloodworms and they all seem to eat fine. However, they are getting skinnier by the day. I can see the bones virtually! Can some help me out here! Have check the ph. Its fine. I have done regular changes too. :?

kevkoi
Thu Apr 29, 2004, 10:25 AM
Possibly tapeworm infestation. Get yourself some "Praziquantel" (product called "Worm Rid" usually has this as their active ingredient. Dose as per recommendation on bottle and within the next day you should see strings of these worms come out of the fish. Siphon off all the tape worm from the bottom of the tank.

Why'd u buy a skinny fish in the first place? :?

kev

Lex
Thu Apr 29, 2004, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the help. Is that product available in most aquariums?

The discus was fine when I first got them but gradually, they became skinnier and darker too!

Hope that product works

thanks

kevkoi
Thu Apr 29, 2004, 11:58 AM
There are mainly 2 things that can have such symptoms... Tape worm or hexamita. Tape worms can be tackled with Praziquantel and these are quite readily available in the fish shops (that actually know what they are doing that is...)

Hex... well, this one is a bit tricky. Have you observed the poo coming out of your fish? Is it white/clear and slimy looking or is it black and thick? Clear feces would be another indicator that you have Hexamita. Hexamita needs to be treated with an antibiotic called Metronidazole. This you may be able to get under the counter from certain fish shops. The brand name is usually called "Flagyl". Alternatively you may have to get this medication from a vet.

Lex
Sat May 01, 2004, 03:24 AM
I have just purchased some worm tablets from lfs. I was told to mix it with the bloodworm I was feeding my discus with. But its pain to defrost them and freeze them up again before i can feed them. Is there any other way of doing it ?

Proteus
Sat May 01, 2004, 06:30 AM
Lex, an easy way to do it is put some tank water in a small container, add the meds, (let it dissolve) add some Tetra bits, or Sera granules (whatever food you have) soak it in there for a bit, or your blood worms, then pour it into the tank...

that way you have meds in the food, and meds in the water...

If you have got your hands on AquaMaster Fluke & Tapeworm tabs (100mg Praziquabtel) which I have found to be common in most LFS's, just dissolve it, and add it to your water...

Lex
Sat May 01, 2004, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the hints! I hope they gets better soon. Cross my fingers X