PDA

View Full Version : What would you do

DR.V
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 11:06 AM
Hi all, I got a pair of white butterfly which breeding like crazy. 1st batch of eggs just become free swim yesterday and today they already laid some more eggs.

Most of the fry are not attached to the parents and already 2-3 fry died, lying on the bottom of the tank. Why should i do ? I already put some egg yolk into the tank so that the fry will get something to eat or are they even too small for egg yolk ?

I was reading the other thread about the cabbage and lettuce but still unsure to try ^^

Any idea and thoughts will be appreciated.

discusguy
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 12:09 PM
wow, you really got some rabbits their. lol once the fry go free swimming, they will feed on the parents slime coat for about another 3-4 days, after that i introduce BBS (baby brine shrimp\artemia) they won't know what to do with them at first but give them some time, and they'll be gobblin 'em up. Now i found they grow much faster and better if you keep them on the bbs for the next year or so, but once they get larger you can safely feed them bloodworms, microworms, finely ground flakes, just about anything. i've never tried the egg yolk, or the cabbage, sounds like it might have something to it though. your best bet would probably be the shrimp though, that will be more easily accepted.

HTH

-tyler

DR.V
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 08:44 AM
I think baby brine shrimp is even too big for the fry to eat but I already put some anyway. These fry are only 2 days old since they become free swim.

The real problem is the parents wont turn darker which makes the fry really hard to find them

Thanks Tyler for the info

PJP
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 09:49 AM
you could tape white paper around the tank so that the parents are at least a little darker than whats around them
plus you could try to have only a small amount of light like a 25 watt lamp shining in one side of the tank so that one side of the parents is lit up but the other side is shaded

try this and anything else the people on this forum suggest,
because I followed most of their advice and my fry are finally attaching to my pigeon blood parents
good luck with whatever you try