PDA

View Full Version : Wilds ???

dreamer
Thu Apr 29, 2004, 09:12 AM
Anyone know where to get wild discus in Sydney area? Im talking about pure wild not crosses. 8)

Thanks

kevkoi
Thu Apr 29, 2004, 10:57 AM
Wow... are u sure u want to go down that road of wildcaught Discus?

They can be extremely problematic fish with too many internal parasites etc. I can order wild caught heckels for you but they won't be cheap, and there's no guarantee on these fish.... u take them straight out of the bag and they aren't going into my discus systems.

My personal preference would be to buy F1s or F2 imports. Commonly available wilds, Red spotted Tefe Greens F2s and Alenquer "red" browns, F2s-F3s... these are the more poppular wilds available.

dreamer
Thu Apr 29, 2004, 12:24 PM
well i dont mind f1....fx as long as they arent cross. i havent seen any so called wild discus in sydney ... even those rsg we have in aust dont come even close to those i've seen on us sites.

higher price is understandable for wilds ...maybe due to lower demand?? but buying non quarantine fish for high price is bit ...risky :wink: if you know what i meant....

maybe one day...we will have those high quality wilds available in aust...hmmm heckels....curipera...rsg....even just normal brown are nice... altumn would a nice addition to the tank 8) 8)

ps. pm me with the price ... i might consider :)

cheers

kevkoi
Thu Apr 29, 2004, 02:10 PM
Altum angels are available on occasion.... extremely touchy. We had some P.altum imported from Glasser, Germany into Australia a while back. 80fish came, 50 left quarantine (2week quarantine period), on those 50, I think less than 10 fish are alive today.... :?

Same deal with Heckels.... :oops: :cry:

Importing fish into Australia is not a simple thing. Our Yankee friends have it so much easier (hell they don't even have a quarantine period!). Too many charges etc etc, too much papperwork and red tape to then risk getting a shipment of wildcaughts which may all just go belly up on you even prior to them coming out of quarantine (Discus require a 2week quarantine period in an approved quarantine facility b4 they can be sold to public)..... hence you won't see too many "wilds" come in. I've been offered Red Spotted Greens F3 from overseas, but as to if they ARE, or are 'pure', who knows.... how would you really be able to tell anyway? Not all Red Spotted Greens even from the same location look alike. There is a high degree of variation even among wild caughts. Even scale counts can't really tell if they are for real or not.

dreamer
Thu Apr 29, 2004, 10:40 PM
very true kev...very hard to tell whether they are pure thats why wildcaught is the best bet to make sure they are 'pure'

the rsg we have here dont have spots as much as those rsg in the states. i've yet to see other wilds in lfs ... all shops stock fancy types... i get little bored with them now :wink: that's why im thinking get a new tank 'back to nature' heavily planted with few wilds :roll:

those wilds dont cost as much as those fancy in asia; penang or singapore where i believe those are your source for discus. with proper care taken it shouldnt be that hard to keep them alive..... what i think is we need more demand to push the price down .....