PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy planted aquarium

Ringo
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 03:45 AM
Hi,

I have a 90 gallon aquarium that has been setup for 5 weeks now and am having a little trouble. The water is very cloudy and water changes make a little difference for 2 days. The substrate is eco-complete and all plants are recommended for discus. I have almost 3 watts of light per gallon and am using a Eco-system for filtration (http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/index.html) for more info. I use a co2 system and seachem additives (iron, potassium, flourish, trace and kent proplant). Luckily there are no discus in the aquarium yet, just neons, tetras, and loaches. The fish seem to be fine and all water test come out good except my phosphate level. I have noticed some of the leaves on the plants have died, but overall most plants are growing and looking good. I have had saltwater aquariums for many years but this is just frustrating me. I have spoke with the makers of the filter and they said it doesn't seem to be a problem with the filter.

Thanks for any help,
Ringo

duck
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 05:19 AM
Has it been cloudy for 5 weeks or just recently?
What are your test results?
Two thing's pop to mind you could have green water sometime's it happen's in a new setup,Or you could of got a bad batch of Eco-Complete.

Ringo
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 12:33 PM
Its was never completely clear, however after adding the plants it seems to have been worse. I have done water changees and have left out the plant additives and still no difference. I did have a break out of algea and used a product called Algea-Fix and it worked. I am thinking about pulling all the plants out and changing 90% of the water and then slowly adding plants back into the aquarium. I know this will put the tank through another cycle but at this point I am completely lost. How would I know if I have a bad batch of Eco-complete?

duck
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 12:45 PM
THis is what we a trying to work out, what has cause you to have cloudy water.
What are your test results?

Ringo
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 11:41 PM
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 2ppm
Phosphates >4ppm

The phophates Went high when I used SeaChem discus buffer to adjust the pH. I have sinced stop using the product. Ehen I initially used it a few days later I had an algae bloom, then I cleared that up (water changes and algefix). Now I have this problem. The buffer seemed to have started this chain reaction, however know I'm not to sure about this problem. What is a good buffer to use? My tap checks out at pH 8, I use a co2 controller which brings it down to 7.4.

Thanks again for any help.

Sime76
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 02:29 AM
Phosphates >4ppm

Thats you problem right there.
As you've realised that buffer is the problem and the wrong one to use in a planted tank. If you check out the Seachem website you'll find they recommend one of their other buffers for planted tanks.
Also I don't think those Algefix and similar are very good going by what I've read, although they may work they may cause more trouble then good, something to do with creating a large bioload when all the alge die. But this is just what I have read here and there, haven't dared trying the stuf myself.

duck
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 12:44 PM
Since your phosphate's are that high to get it down is not easy.
I suggest do a WC then add potassium nitrate and try to get it up around the 20 ppm aleast and not straight away either over a few days,This should restore some balance and hopefully your tank will clear up soon.
try to keep Nitrates to PHosphate 10-1 ratio roughly.

Ringo
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks, I can't believe I used the wrong buffer. I plan on continuing the water changes and adding the potassium. I guess I will just chalk this up to a rookie mistake.

Thanks again everyone,
Ringo

nature
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:34 AM
hey u might even want 2 consider adding an uv sterilises... will clear water n at same time will kill bad parasites, which is good for discus in future hehe