PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Kristysky
Thu Jul 21, 2005, 03:59 AM
Good afternoon to everyone,
I have just joined as I would love to learn about Discus Breeding as a hobby. I have been flicking in and out of this site for about a year and just decided to finally join. When I was a child we started with one aquarium then it became two and two years later we had ponds of all sizes and shape as my father was a bricklayer and right into tropical fish-many years ago now. We never had Discus though and I really love the colours and size of these fish.
We have the glass cut but still need to glue it together. It is five feet long, two feet high and two feet deep. We have two other large aquariums with plattys and guppys and silver dollars and ghost night and elephant heads and albino catfish,..I wish to only put discus with discus in the new aquarium-I'm weary also of plants for diseases but would like to have one or two plants nonetheless. I would love to get the aquarium up and running for a few weeks to build good bacteria but don't know what fish to put in there first to "test" the water prior to purchasing discus. Also would be happy to listen to any advice for successful keeping and breeding of these beautiful fish and maybe start with some lower price healthy breeds of discus for beginners,..

Proteus
Thu Jul 21, 2005, 10:08 AM
Welcome to DF.com

:D

Merrilyn
Thu Jul 21, 2005, 12:30 PM
Hi Kristysky welcome to the happiest discus forum on the web.

Whilst we recommend bare bottom tanks for discus, simply because of the ease of cleaning, you can still have plants in pots or growing on driftwood and make a nice attractive display.

To cycle your tank, we would suggest you use a fishless cycle. Quick and easy, and no chance of introduced diseases from other fish, and the great advantage is that you can immediately add a full bio load of fish once the tank is cycled.

the_oracle
Thu Jul 21, 2005, 04:44 PM
W E L C O M E .........................................
:wave :wave :wave :wave

:wave2 :wave2 :wave2

Sanie.

ctvu
Thu Jul 21, 2005, 11:40 PM
Welcome to DF.com. All the best

ctvu

Kristysky
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 12:35 AM
Good morning
Thank you for the welcome I'm looking forward to getting this aquarium put together soon. Thank you for being such a great forum. I love all the brilliantly coloured photos and excited of all new specimens of fish - I 've never seen before.
Thank you Ladyred for the good advice. I want to be a good keeper of these fish and want to learn from others to get a good start,
thanks again

goldenpigeon
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 05:27 AM
yo yo yo punk and welcome to DF.com :D glad u could join us ;)