PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE QUICK! CAMALLANUS AND PIPERAZINE

Brian
Thu Jul 21, 2005, 01:29 AM
Does anyone know the dosage for piperazine that would be safe to use on fish? I will be going to buy piperazine in the form of dog/cat dewormer to use on my fish that have camallanus worms.

If anyone knows the correct dosage, please help, I have not been able to find anything on google or in the forums.

Thanks in advance, please hurry.

Merrilyn
Thu Jul 21, 2005, 01:13 PM
Hi Brian, I know piperazine can be used on fish as a worming agent, but just how watersoluble it it, I'm not too sure. I believe it has been used directly squirted into the mouth, however, it's not something I could recommend on a valuable discus fish.

The treatment I would prefer to use is Levamisole which is a wormer sold for poultry and cage birds. It can be used in the tank at the rate of 1ml per 7 litres of tank water. It's suitable to treat all nematodal parasites. Dose the tank, and leave the fish in there for 3 days without a waterchange. After that, go back to the normal routine of waterchanges.

A follow up treatment may be required.

Merrilyn
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 04:35 PM
Just a word of caution here. One of our members purchased Levamisole in a form sold for budgies and canaries (cage birds). The liquid is red and has a sweet smell. It seems glucose is one of the ingredients now used in that wormer, and will cause a massive bacterial bloom in your tank. Our member lost 3 fish using this.

Only use a Levamisole wormer that is specifically labelled for fish tanks, or use the plain Levamisole sold as a Pig and Poultry wormer.

Benny
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 05:40 PM
:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Btw it was petmaster or whatever "poultry wormer"

:( When is my luck gonna take a turn for the best?

btw Nathan, your turqs are fine

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jul 27, 2005, 07:53 AM
Brian,

I have Levamisole if you get stuck.
MAC