PDA

View Full Version : Dennison Barbs

merman
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 02:12 AM
I am looking for info on keeping these guys, does anyone have info or know any links which tell me more about them, are they easy to keep?

kevkoi
Tue Jul 19, 2005, 02:54 AM
EXTREMELY easy to keep....

All the info is at your finger tips. Type "Puntius denisoni" into Google.

Reillin
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 01:01 PM
Any powerful secret breeding methods, Kev?

I would like to maybe get about 10 of these guys and try to breed them. I hear that they are mass produced in Asia through hormone injection, however I would like to successfully breed them without such.

Maybe I'll just chuck the lot into a 4x18x18 heavily planted and pray. Seems to work with most fish. lol. However photos during the breeding process would be an achievement.

Cheers,
Vien.
It seems that wild population of these beauts are diminishing, so to achieve "natural" breeding in an aquarium can ease the strain of collection on the wild population. Now to save up $450. Maybe I can also pray for a discount. Lol.

kevkoi
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:26 AM
First successful recorded breeding of P.denisoni in a tank was noted in AquaNews recently. I don't remember which issue, but the fish were bred in Germany.

Apparently, in breeding colouration, the fish turned gold!! Water parameters and conditions were described in AquaNews.

As far as I know, breeding of P.denisoni in Asia is a rumour I have yet to witness. However I know some ppl trying in big ponds. No results yet.

kev

merman
Fri Oct 28, 2005, 12:54 AM
hmm... I suppose watch this space is in order, would be great if thay were a bit cheaper.
PS kev saw some pics of longfinned bristles ages ago will these ever be commercially avalable?

Reillin
Fri Oct 28, 2005, 11:45 AM
Yeah, search AquaNews, couldn't find anything related to Puntius denisonii.

Oh well, maybe it hasn't been released online yet.

The latest online version is Summer 05. Which I would assume would be the start of 05? Well in any case, AquaNews sure is an interesting read, thanks Kev.

Oh, Kev, if you happen to come across the article, pls buzz me, would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Vien.