PDA

View Full Version : Stage 1: "The Plan"

Proteus
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 06:40 AM
Prior to deciding on any components, such as substrate, rocks or driftwood, plant varieties, etc, we must come up with a plan/outline of what we want the final layout to look like.

Once a plan is in place, then it will assist in what else is required as we progress through to the finish.

So, time to start planning.

The tank is 48"L x 19"W x 24"D

Effectively we have a floor space of 48" x 19" to work with

Proteus
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 06:59 AM
Personally, this is one layout which I like, which would work in this sized tank. (loads of glossi)

Nature Aquarium Gallery 01 (http://www.adaeuro.com/gallery.asp?g_id=1#)

Merrilyn
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 07:18 AM
I'm drooling over that tank Proteus. That would have to be my dream tank with the planted driftwood and the fully covered substrate.

Davo
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 09:02 AM
Proteus,

Do you know what size tank that is.

It is amazing that something that looks so simple could look so good.

Have a look at www.aquatic-gardeners.org
Then go to the aquascaping contest page and have a look at the 2000-2004 showcase entries. There are some fantastic tanks to look at.

Dave.

jim from sydney
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 09:30 AM
those tanks are amazing.........cleaning the btm. could be difficult.....but with a set up like that who wants to do anything else???? :D

Proteus
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 09:54 AM
With a heavily planted base, there should be little or no need to clean down there (any waste will be used as ferts for the plants)

duck
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 01:32 PM
Personally, this is one layout which I like, which would work in this sized tank. (loads of glossi)

Nature Aquarium Gallery 01 (http://www.adaeuro.com/gallery.asp?g_id=1#)

IMO I dont think it will work as that tank is around the 60"wide mark and you got 19" it wont have the depth or the effect.

Proteus
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 09:04 AM
It is a theme, which can be adapted to any tank.

Obviously I dont have the 2600 Litre tank that is almost 6ft x 6ft (& 3 ft deep), however the idea of a thick Glossi cover with a few feature plants and a piece of wood or rock works for me.

I should also add, the tank is under review, it is more than likely a larger sized tank will be used.

kalebjarrod
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:04 AM
I belive in a massed approach

zen basics 2/3 rules applied

3 type of plants (maybe 4), HEAVILY planted

driftwood structre

angled visual lines

Proteus
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:08 AM
I belive in a massed approach

zen basics 2/3 rules applied

3 type of plants (maybe 4), HEAVILY planted

driftwood structre

angled visual lines

Are you reading my mind?

kalebjarrod
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:37 AM
too many years of working with architects

gives me a certain outlook in most design aspects

:wink:

Proteus
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:45 AM
I am thinking with a 2ft or 2.5ft width base it will allow for a whole lot more creativity.

Also, being that it will be a new tank, I wont bother with a hood, rather get a good twin MH & quad PC lighting system.

now we are getting hard core

yeah baby

:P

kalebjarrod
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:51 AM
we will need look outs for driftwood :wink:

i love it

lets go crazy

anti-generic
Tue Jul 19, 2005, 12:23 AM
St George seems to have the largest range of LARGE driftwood peices in Syd.

Ask them to show you. Man, theres some HUGE ones and very nice specimens too.

kalebjarrod
Tue Jul 19, 2005, 08:15 AM
are you there often?

Pics? :D

Proteus
Thu Jul 21, 2005, 11:46 PM
Confirmed - the tank will be 4x2x2

Proteus
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 12:07 PM
ok.... back to the topic at hand

The Plan

I am not feeling to arty at the moment, but how does this sound, using the base of the tank as the outline.

Have some sort of a branch/stump coming forward from the back left corner, possibly 3/4 of the way to the front, and going no further than 1/3 - 1/2 way across the width of the tank. Have the right rear corner terraced (by rock or something else) to form a type of a hill with maybe a rock feature.

Along the back of the tank a line of tall plants which extend the full width and height of the back panel, or leave it empty, which makes it look bigger (not sure with this).

The front 1/4 area, have sand as substrate (seperated from the fert based substrate by rocks or short bunching plants.

hope that makes sense.

duck
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 12:23 PM
Have some sort of a branch/stump coming forward from the back left corner, possibly 3/4 of the way to the front, and going no further than 1/3 - 1/2 way across the width of the tank. Have the right rear corner terraced (by rock or something else) to form a type of a hill with maybe a rock feature.
Sounds good so far :)

Along the back of the tank a line of tall plants which extend the full width and height of the back panel, or leave it empty, which makes it look bigger (not sure with this).
I think line the back with plant's

The front 1/4 area, have sand as substrate (seperated from the fert based substrate by rocks or short bunching plants.
Personally i would try to keep one substrate through out the tank it might get a little messy when you want to change things around.

Merrilyn
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 12:39 PM
I think I know what you mean. Any chance of a sketch.

kalebjarrod
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 09:30 PM
IMO its either a rock feature or a driftwood feature both will be two much

rock being hard and wood soft the two in a tank clash

plus i think you need one end of the tank for free swimming

waterflash
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 01:17 PM
Hi kalebjarrod
I can see what you mean by either the rock or the wood but I have had some success with combining driftwood and woomera rock. Both very soft colors which is what I think makes it work. In my ealier days 25 years ago tried combining all sorts of rock, basically had no idea and got the results you are talking about.. The woomera works well especially if softend even further with java moss and it also provides elevation in the tank for different substrate levels.

What do you think? :?: