PDA

View Full Version : Product Review - Aquis 2400 Pressurised Canister Filter

Proteus
Sat Jul 16, 2005, 10:47 AM
Aqua One - Aquis 2400 Pressurised Canister Filter

Just taken delivery of this new series of pressurised canister filtration system.

Have just taken some pics of the packaging, will take individual pics of all the components tomorrow.

Technical Data

Flow rate = 2340L/hr

Power consumption = 62 watts

Filter Volume = 22 Litres

Maximum Head Height = 2.2 m

Proteus
Sat Jul 16, 2005, 11:46 AM
OMG, I admit, I am totally blown away by this unit.

It has standard features that are usually only found on the top of the line Eheim units.

On the Intake, it has a priming cap, with a self locking collar to secure the intake hose.

ALSO, attached to the inlet elbow is an optional SURFACE SKIMMER with a self levelling device which is built into the extension pipe.

The main body of the unit also has a large self priming device (same as Eheim pro canisters).

Proteus
Sat Jul 16, 2005, 12:44 PM
I should also thank George & Michella at SLS for getting this in.

http://adserver.aquadotnetwork.com/banners/slipperylittlesuckers.com/001.gif (http://adserver.aquadotnetwork.com/adclick.php?bannerid=1&zoneid=3&source=&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slipperylittlesuckers.com)

Ben
Sat Jul 16, 2005, 12:46 PM
Whats the recommened retail price of these unit's?

Proteus
Sat Jul 16, 2005, 12:53 PM
I am lead to believe it will be somewhere in the vicinity of $500-$700.

(sorry for the huge range in price, I dont have access to the price lists atm).

I am also reliably lead to believe that the units themselves come from the same factory in China that produce the Eheim canisters...

SLS
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 03:57 AM
RRP on this unit is $605.00

As an introductory special, for forum members only $450.00

heckelboy
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 04:12 AM
Looks fantastic. Do they have smaller models. Like 1200lph

Proteus
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 04:43 AM
The main body of the unit

Proteus
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 04:43 AM
Return kit

Proteus
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 04:45 AM
Intake including surface skimmer

Proteus
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 05:13 AM
Included media,

1 x 15PPI Blue Sponge

1 x 35PPI Black Sponge

4 x 100PPI Filter Wool

2 x Activated Carbon Bags

2 x Bio-Gran Bags

1 x Ceramic Noodles Bag

Benny
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 05:31 AM
veeeeeeeeeeeeeryy nice looking package...!!!!

Wen i look at settin my 4x2x2 up im gonna seriously consider one of these

Davo
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 09:32 AM
The new Aqua one filter looks very similar to the new Eheim Professional III 2080.

Dave.

Proteus
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 09:53 AM
We have a winner.

It is rumoured that the same factory makes the bodies for the Eheim units.

It should also be noted, that the Eheim Classic range is 100% made in China, and 1/2 of the components of the Pro filters are made in China, and then assembled in Europe.

Mattzilla
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 09:56 AM
looks like a great unit

Proteus
Tue Jul 19, 2005, 11:33 PM
Update:

I have the unit running on my 200L aging container.

It is totally silent, and moves the water at an incredible speed.

I will use the canister to empty the aging barrel into my nearby 6x2x2 in the next 24hrs, if my calculations are correct, it should drain the barrel in just on 4-5 minutes.

Benny
Wed Jul 20, 2005, 02:21 AM
looks like a great unit, some online stores are already offering it, and at an awesome price too....

Damn i want one!

endless
Wed Sep 07, 2005, 02:59 AM
Hi Proteus, anymore feedback on this filter. How effective is it at cleaning the tank. Does it filter the till its crystal clear also how reliable is it so far? Finally does the filter have a "tap" on the inlet and outlet tubes so that the actual cannister can be removed and cleaned easily without having to remove the the tubes themselves from the aquarium?

africandiscus
Sun Sep 18, 2005, 10:38 AM
[admin edit: the company mentioned in this post is not a sponsor, hence why its link has been removed]

revkev
Thu Oct 20, 2005, 08:27 AM
I have a Aquis 2400 Pressurised Canister Filter set up under my 6ft tank ( see pic ) easy to setup and runs very quiet (have to put your head near it to hear it runnig) The only problem I had was fitting the HYDOR heater as the hoses with the filter are BIG a tee piece with a smaller side barb soon fixed it. I have had the filter running about a month so far with no problems I will check the inside of the filter at the weekend to see how dirty it is.The filter is running my 6ft DISCUS tank the spray bar causing no problems with too much current.
Revkev

Proteus
Thu Oct 20, 2005, 10:08 AM
an update from my end.

I have had the unit running for over 2 months on my Giant Gourami tank.

My findings...

Crystal clear water all the time

The unit is silent, aside from the flow in the tank you have to feel the unit to verify if it is running.

I opened it up 2 weeks ago to check if it needed cleaning, and aside from a quick rinse of the top medium filter pad (I am not using the fine grade wool pad) it is very clean.

Ammonia, Nitrites are undetectible, with Nitrates coming in at less than 10ppm (mind you the canister is running in conjunction with a 6000lph mini-reef/sump system).

For value for money it would be hard pressed to find anything on the market with as much bang for the buck (also noting that I did upgrade most of the filter media)

Proteus
Thu Oct 20, 2005, 10:10 AM
I will also add that since this thread was started the price has come down a fair bit on this unit.

Happy shopping...

taksan
Fri Oct 21, 2005, 11:29 AM
OMG I can't believe its running at all with all that head !

I have a Aquis 2400 Pressurised Canister Filter set up under my 6ft tank ( see pic ) easy to setup and runs very quiet (have to put your head near it to hear it runnig) The only problem I had was fitting the HYDOR heater as the hoses with the filter are BIG a tee piece with a smaller side barb soon fixed it. I have had the filter running about a month so far with no problems I will check the inside of the filter at the weekend to see how dirty it is.The filter is running my 6ft DISCUS tank the spray bar causing no problems with too much current.
Revkev

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 21, 2005, 03:50 PM
HAHAHA taksan. These filters work well when they're set up right :lol:

One thing you need to watch tho, is that when filled, they're pretty heavy.

You wouldn't want to drop one on your hand or anything.

Could end up breaking a finger in three places :P

Hmmmmm...................... now where did I hear of that happening :ug

Sorry taksan, (roflmao) Couldn't help myself :whip

I'll behave now :oops:

kalebjarrod
Fri Oct 21, 2005, 08:52 PM
some of you may be aware that i am moving so i have had to dimantle all of my trickles and find a new filter

i have added 2 x 2200lt canister (not the 2400lt like proteus) and they are sensation

And for $280.00 what a bargin

highly recommend them! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

oscar
Wed Nov 30, 2005, 09:13 PM
I purchased a 2400 and set it up last night. It certainly is a reasonable size bit of kit. And it really moves that water (obviously).

It's so easy to prime and start!

Surface skimmer feature is great.

In my humble opinion it should probably come with longer hoses, but all the other plumbing components are good.

Two things i did notice about the appliance are:
1) When the media tray handles are in the extended position, there isn't a great deal of clearance between it and the flow-through pipe. This makes it a bit tricky for putting in the thicker coarse sponges.

2) As a direct result of what is mentioned above, i noticed that the flow-through pipe can move around a bit when you're trying to get the sponge in, further inspection revealed that this is because the bars/grating across the bottom of the baskets is fairly flexible. I'm not sure if this may lead to breakages down the track or not.

Anyway i temporarily set the filter up with the supplied media because i couldn't help myself. I'll go and by new media for it this weekend - i'd be interested to know what you other users are running as far as media is concerned.

Cheers.

oscar
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:24 PM
People,

As much as i am loathe to do it, i must announce that my Aquis 2400...leaks! :(

It is only a very slow leak. Originally yesterday afternoon i identified small infrequent drops coming from underneath one of the clips. I then proceded to dismantle the filter, check various surfaces and the o-ring seal and re-assemble.

I turned it back on and left it over night. This morning i now discover that it leaks from underneath three clips. :x But still very slowly. We're talking probably maximum a millilitre or two per hour.

One thing that i do note is that the fit of the head unit with o-ring fitted is extremely tight in the cannister body. Is anyone elses like this? The first thought here is that it should make it seal better, but if it is too tight and is causing dimensional distortion or damage to the o-ring seal it could well encourage leaking.

Anyway I will attempt one more pull apart and reassemble to see if it makes any difference.

On the positive side...if the second tear down doesn't help, i will be able to provide info on the warranty service provided by Kongs (AquaOne).

endless
Mon Dec 19, 2005, 07:11 AM
Oscar how did it go. Is it still leaking?

oscar
Mon Dec 19, 2005, 08:16 PM
My apologies. I went on a quick bout of leave to Sydney shortly after posting the last message.

I certainly in no way intended to leave quality of the filter on a questionable note for this length of time.

Anyhow, i disassembled the unit. I packed it with media, and played around with the seals etc a bit and put it back together. Hey presto...no leaks.

While the unit was apart i did a bit of super sleuthing and have determined that the leak was probably actually comming from the taps/hose quick disconnect assembly. I guess the way the hose were laying must have been putting a bit of unwelcome stress on the male-female connections and causing them to leak ever so slightly, but i must say the hoses weren't in an obviously awkward position that looked like it might be a problem.

So I guess that is something to look out for with these units, but it's relatively minor. Will I buy another one?...Yep. I'll probably end up running two of them on what looks as though it will turn out to be a new 8 footer for Christmas.

By the way...as Ladyred gently insinuated in a previous post, when full of media and water, this is a heavy piece of gear.

Cheers.

endless
Wed Dec 28, 2005, 09:57 PM
How tall is the 2400. My cabinet only allows 56cm. Is this tall enough for the filter and the tubing?

taksan
Thu Dec 29, 2005, 10:58 AM
How tall is the 2400. My cabinet only allows 56cm. Is this tall enough for the filter and the tubing?

It might be .... the tubing is going to be the issue ...if space is the problem I'd suggest the FX5.

oscar
Thu Dec 29, 2005, 07:47 PM
Endless,

Look i'd have to say that 56cm will be a problem with this filter. Is 56cm you door height or is it the distance from floor to underside of tank? I ask this as my new tank stand has door height of 56cm but inside there is extra headroom giving me about 63cm of so in total. Yesaterday i just put the filter in the cabinet and put the taps on once in there.

As i've noted on previous occasions, i've had issues with leaking caused by positioning of the taps/hoses. I think if you try and fit the unit into 56cm height you'd be asking for trouble in this area as i guarantee that your hoses will touch the underside of the stand.

I rechon this unit needs about 60cm.

How big is the tank you're putting it on? Aquis 2200???

endless
Thu Dec 29, 2005, 10:49 PM
56cm is the height from the floor to the underside of the tank. I already have an eheim pro 3 but that unfortunately doesnt fit cause of the height of the cabinet so im leaving it outside the cabinet. My tank is 8x2x2 so i need another big filter but i dont want two filters sitting outside. If the aquis 2400 needs at least 60cm height to accomodate it then this filter i guess is out of the question. Ill probably go for the fx5 as suggested by taksan

oscar
Thu Dec 29, 2005, 11:46 PM
Does you cabinet have a false floor in it? If so then you may be able to cut it out to create some extra room.

My new tank stand has a false floor that is a couple of inches off the ground. Even though the filter fits in i'm considering cutting it out in the filter sections to give me a bit of extra room to play with.

endless
Fri Dec 30, 2005, 02:58 AM
Yes it does but im not confident enough to cut the false floor considering im dealing with about 1000 litres of water

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 30, 2005, 04:20 AM
Endless, if you need that floor cut out, just let me know :P

oscar
Fri Dec 30, 2005, 06:18 AM
i can lend you a big hammer if you need LR :wink:

endless
Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:00 AM
Thats cool lr, ill first try my luck with the fx5. if that doesnt fit i consider getting the floor cut :)

Proteus
Mon Jul 03, 2006, 11:53 AM
Update...

Couldnt be happier with this filter.

It is a true workhorse, the only issue, as has been the case for others is how hard the head unit (motor, valves, etc) to remove the first time. It is that pressurised you need to be patient, rather than to use force, just a light amount of pressure and it will slowly come off, after that first time, there is no problem at all, easier than my other Eheims, Fluvals and Sacem Marathon in fact.

I have just started to use the surface skimmer unit for the first time in the past week... EXCELLENT add-on to the intake line.

Nathan
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 12:38 PM
what does a surface skimmer do? i kno dumb question but ive got no idea!

vince
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 05:06 AM
what is the difference between 2200 and 2400?

Only the motor is different? with the same media capacity?

many thanx

nando19
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 01:19 PM
what does a surface skimmer do? i kno dumb question but ive got no idea!

Yeah I was wondering that as well if anyone could help us lol

80in55
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 01:24 PM
A surface skimmer is used to get organic's off the surface of the water. It is a good thing to have when you run a reef tank b/c it promotes the gas exchange! You ever notice the film that you get on top of the water that looks a little oily? That's what it helps to reduce

oscar
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 11:11 PM
Yeah it also sucks in plant leaves etc that break off and float to the surface.

Robdog
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 02:44 PM
Does anyone have any photos of the surface skimmer attachment???

Aaron
Sun Apr 20, 2008, 05:01 AM
Now dont get me wrong this has been an awsome filter to date. Upon cleaning it a few days ago and once it was re-assembled this filter started leaking like a new born baby! I lost 30 litres over night all over the carpet :shock:
I have since pulled it apart several times and found nothing wrong with the seals. I have managed to slow the leak down to a minor trickle but I havnt found where its comming from.
Can anybody help me? My wife is going to kill me!
I think the leak maybe from the tap but as its sealed its hard to be sure!
Does anybody know where I can get spares from as I will probably just start replacing things :(

ILLUSN
Sun Apr 20, 2008, 06:25 AM
double check the top connectoe where it meets the hose, you might have to trim the hoses a little so they seal better, also a little vasaline on all the rubbers will stop most of the small leaks.

Aaron
Sun Apr 20, 2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks for that Ill give it a go.
I lost the battle and the wife is making me move my tank off the carpet tomorrow so i will make some adjustments then when I pull everything apart, and Ill let you know how I go. I hate upsetting my Discus!

axl
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 06:34 AM
I had the same problem last week Aaron, after i cleand the filter it started leaking from the tap, to fix it i just pushed the hose on further and made sure the the nut was done up real tight and that stoped the leak. If it does it again i will put a hose clamp on and that will def make sure it dosent leak again. Cheers Axl

revkev
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 07:03 AM
I had one of these filters it leaked around the main seal and the clamp broke off as well it is now in the local tip.
Hope you have better luck with yours

Aaron
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 11:45 AM
Hey Axl, When yours leaked from the tap did it still leak when you closed the tap and removed it from the main body?
Ive orderd a new seal, When I fit it Ill let you know how it works out.

axl
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 12:29 PM
No it only leaked when the pipes were attached to the body of the cannister.

axl
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 12:33 PM
thats the filter i have got, it may be a different 1 to yours

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3695&catID=6

Proteus
Wed Apr 23, 2008, 10:08 AM
Cant help much with suggestions here as after almost 3 years this filter has not missed a beat, or leaked at all.

From what has been said I would crop the hose and try and get a better fit on the nozzles.

Aaron
Sun May 04, 2008, 04:45 AM
Well the fish Tank has been moved and my dicus managed to survive with an undergravel filter for nearly two weeks. I replaced the main seal (about $13) On closer inspection of the original seal I noticed a small amount of of rough perishment. I believe this may of been caused by the seal sticking to the inside of the cannister, obviously this was enough to cause me a massive headache. So I followed ILLUSN's advice and used some vasse on the new seal wich will certainly stop this from re-ocurring. So everthing is right with my world again. Thanks for the help people. :wink:

jesx57
Sun May 04, 2008, 05:18 AM
I have an Aquarworld 800l/h canister filter - looks exactly the same, but doesn't have the protein skimmer on the side. Haven't set it up yet, but looks promising.

benkk
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 04:51 AM
what is the differences between the Aquis 2400 and Aquis 2250 ??

Thanks