PDA

View Full Version : C02 Planted Tank Community Project

Proteus
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 12:46 AM
The Project

To set up a C02 tank using forum members suggestions in all aspects of its setup (except the starting equipment)

The goal of this will be to show the various steps needed to set up a tank, which will rival the best planted display you have seen, whether it be in the style of T Amano, or using Dutch aquascaping techniques.

The Equipment

(already on hand or recently acquired)

1 x 95G - 360L Glass tank (48" x 19" x 24") This is under review currently, it may be a larger tank
1 x Complete C02 system
1 x Computerised Electronic C02 control system
1 x 1200LPH Canister filter
1 x Double Flouro light reflector (this will need to be upgraded)

The Task

To plan a layout, decide on a theme, what plants to use, etc (via polls and suggestions from members on all the ADN websites)

The Result

A fully planted display tank, with photos posted weekly or in some cases daily to show the development of the tank as a whole. An article will be established to help others setting up there own tank in the future.

...and there is more

Once the large tank is established, then the same will be done for a small tank (<100L) using yeast based C02 systems.

Stay tuned for updates as to when this will commence.

Proteus
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 01:08 AM
The blank canvas (under review)

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=668

Minus the sump, and overflow (same sized tank as I have a few of them). There is also a fully enclosed hood which is not in the image.

duck
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 06:31 AM
It seem like a good idea,Since you are going high tech is that going all the way through the tank?

Proteus
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 06:33 AM
what do you mean?

Mattzilla
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 06:50 AM
sounds great mate

looking forward to learning a thing or two along the way as i am not really experienced with planted tanks

cheers
matt

duck
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 06:50 AM
Substrate heater,reactor/difusser,enriched substrate be it Onxy,flourite,Eco for the substrate or ADA product's if you can get them here.
T5's,MH,T8's

Proteus
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 06:58 AM
From all the research I have done substrate heaters arent that much more effective than externally controlled titanium heaters (placed a few inchs horizontaly above the substrate).

Although that will be up for discussion.

Lighting will need to be seriously looked into, as flouro doesnt kick it, especially for a 2ft deep tank.

Enriched substrate will def be used, as to what, how much, placement will depend on the layout. I like the Amano uses enriched substrate and sand for the feature area at the front, once again that will be up for discussion.

cody
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 09:41 AM
I recon a bright sand fore ground with small anubias at mid ground an blue stricta as a hard stemed backing plant with nice java moss grown on driftwood but thats just a partial solution plan as it would look nicer filled in with other plants just adding my two cents

MangoR34
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 10:38 AM
AquaClay is good or even flourite by Seachem :)

Im currently using AquaClay and its been quite good for my plants. But heard flourite is best for plants ;)

Goodluck mate!

Davo
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 10:43 AM
Proteus,

It all depends on how much cash you are willing to spend.

For a substrate you could buy Eco-Complete from a mate of Duck's in WA. This substrate is highly rated in the US. Otherwise you could use plain gravel/sand with laterite etc. There are many ways to do the substrate.

Have a look at www.plantedtank.com. This is a great forum for planted tanks and has seperate forums for substrate, lighting and equipment etc.

For lighting it comes down to compact fluoro's or MH. It depends on if you want an open tank for MH (or get a huge hood) or go with CF. You can buy CF setups online over here or you can import them from the US. Have a look at www.ahsupply.com. They are in New York and the service is great. They have great kits and they ship over here and the prices are as good or better than setups over here. I have some ahsupply reflectors and they unreal.

What type of CO2 system are you looking at?

The last thing that you will have to do is think about your fertilizing. You can do the commercial method, ie Seachem, Sera etc or you can do it the cheap way by adding you own ferts, ie KNO3, K2SO4, KH2P04 and traces etc.

Dave.

cody
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 11:37 AM
would you be using a carpet grass? or sumtype of groundcover?

Proteus
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 12:31 PM
that is to be decided

DR.V
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 01:46 PM
is this your tank Pro ?

Why dont you put the sump inside the cabinet ? Sure it'll look more neat ?

Proteus
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 11:30 PM
As stated before, it is the same sized tank, not the one in the pic.

That pic was taken for a project I did a while ok, to display how everything worked.

I was also only cycling that sump for another tank, so there was no use dropping it into the cabinet.

:wink:

kalebjarrod
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 06:25 AM
Cool as

i think we need to do a annocment on the basic's we already have for the setup before we start the whole substrate debate LOL

then we will go through the items required one by one

a poll on each so everyone can vote and majority will rule as always :wink:

DR.V
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 07:35 AM
Cool ! Keep us posted Pro

MangoR34
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 01:00 PM
Cant wait to see the end results. Just wondering how much you willing to spend on this tank :P

Proteus
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 01:04 PM
Retail value will come close to $3000 to $4000 at least.

Given, that I already have some of the goods in my possession courtesy of some of the site sponsors.

MangoR34
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 01:08 PM
Hmm...quite cheap for a 4ft.

Goodluck with it mate =) We all want pics ;)

Proteus
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 01:12 PM
quite cheap, that value does not include anything in the tank (plants, substrate, rock, wood etc) that is just for basic equipment.

Heck the German built C02 system is worth $1500 alone.

MangoR34
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 04:11 PM
Even for equipment that is still quite cheap ;) Im sure the lighting would be expensive too if your going Metal Halide :p

Proteus
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 10:41 PM
as stated previously lighting has not been decided yet.

It may be MH, it may be T5, PC or a combination of all of them.

Bronx19
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 11:41 AM
Surely MH would be most efficient.

2x250w would probably coer it.

Proteus
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 11:46 AM
The tank has an enclosed hood.

SLS
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 01:01 PM
Hey Proteus, and all forum members,

Steps we use and recommend to setting up a CO2 Planted Tank.

We use JBL Aqua Basis (laterite) for the base, approx 5cm deep,
Then cover with 3mm gravel about 7cm deep.
BE SURE TO ADD THIS BEFORE ADDING WATER!!

Add water, and cycle filter using Biostarter, we use SERA Nitrivec for 10days. Try to install the return line of the filter to create as little surface rippling as possible, otherwise the CO2 will be released faster into the atmosphere.

Connect / setup CO2 system, pH controller and lighting. We use Arcadia Fresh water, Original Tropical and Marine White Fluro tubes in less than 2ft deep tanks. Over 2ft, either Aqua One 150w Metal Halide or adding underwater 50w Halogen lights in combo with fluro's.

Add KH Plus to reach 4-5Degree's Carbonate Hardness(KH), we use Sera KH Plus. Calibrate pH probe and turn on CO2.

Increasing KH is vital to maintaining a stable pH. The reaction between CO2 and KH creates Carbonic Acid. This is what the plants uptake to make the thrive. CO2 is an acid, KH is an alkaline. Think of it as a "tug of war". The KH pulls the pH up while the CO2 pulls the pH down. Only when both of these are in balance will the pH become stable. Desired pH is 6.8.

Add an iron based liquid fertiliser, this is food to stimulate plant growth.
We use SERA Florena and Florenette A tablets(placed at the base of plant roots) as well as JBL Seven Ball and JBL Ferrapol, both long term slow release fertilisers.

Add plants and decorations, and your first fish.

Check filtration system(Ammonia and Nitrite), before adding more fish.

We suggest using aquarium based fertilisers, as these are Nitrate and Phosphate free. Nitrate and Phosphate are generally in aboundance in the aquarium. Planted tanks generally require much less maitainance(water changes) due to the uptake of the plants.

The plants will then begin photosythisizing(creating oxygen) which will keep the inhabitants alive and decrease the depletion of KH. This can be displayed by the little bubbles of oxygen relasing from the plant leaves.

Maintaining a stable pH and seeing the aquarium plants bubbling, and the lack of algae(phosphates), generally tells you all is working well.

Regurally checking KH and Nitrate will help you fine tune your aquarium maintainance requirements.

Have alook at the planted tanks we have in store.

Hope this helps. Happy keeping. :)

George.
www.slipperylittlesuckers.com

duck
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 01:40 PM
Regurally checking KH and Nitrate will help you fine tune your aquarium maintainance requirements.

I would personaly keep my phosphate-Nitrate it check.

Shawnts106
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 02:59 AM
Well... Looks like youve got a nice blank canvas to work with thats for sure!!!... I would recommend some Flourite *seachem* and whatever else you would like as a substrate.. but if your use Flourite you dont need to use any laterite or something like that.. you can also get some SeaChem Flourish Tabs... they are the best thing I have ever used... talk about plant growth!!!!!!!!!!!!! you wont believe it!!!!!

or you can get whatever color gravel, or sand and use the Flourish Tabs... You really wont believe the growth your get.. I had 4 Apongetons bunched together and put one flourish tab in the middle... within, id say 2 weeks they had completly absorbed the whole thing.. and grown to be the size of a blue whale is long!!!!... Today I had to take them out and trim them... it was ammazing.. the roots alone were unbelieveable!!!

good luck!

Proteus
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 09:15 AM
As we speak, the tank itself is under review.

I am considering using a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft or a 4ft x 2.5ft x 2ft

Shawnts106
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 11:43 PM
Definately get the 4x2.5x2... the extra 6 inches will make a HUGE difference, youll regret not getting the wider one!!!

Proteus
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 11:53 PM
I realise the extra would be good, but I have to check where it will fit, and if it can get into the premises (I had to cancel a 6 x 2 x 2.5 due to not being able to get the cabinet in the door).

Either way, 2ft or 2.5ft is better than 19"

Shawnts106
Tue Jul 19, 2005, 03:31 AM
True.. but If I could get a 6 foot tank in .. but I couldnt get the stand in.. then I would BUILD a stand in the house for it! HAHAHA!!!

anti-generic
Tue Jul 19, 2005, 04:47 AM
Is this project trying to keep to a budget or a endless $$$ supply.

Are we trying to find a cheaper alternative route to having a beautiful planted tank or another one of those top of the range everything setups that makes ppl drool.

Also, are you planning to run a mini reef system on it? I've read that it strips away alot of the nutrients for plants. Hence no aqua-gardener uses them in their setups.

duck
Tue Jul 19, 2005, 06:01 AM
I think the 2.5' wide would be a really good size,The down side of having a tank that wide,How would you reach the middle back of the tank without getting the swimming goggles out.
If you just went up to 2' you will still achieve alot of depth and the effect will be great.
IMO i think if you went 4x2x2 you can't go wrong,I think you would be able to create some excellent looking scape's.

Proteus
Tue Jul 19, 2005, 10:26 AM
Budget will be controlled, however given that I have already got, or can get a large amount of the required items easily, it will makes things a little less of a burden on the pocket.

At the same time I dont want to go crazy, as I would like this to become something that others can replicate, and have it being affordable.

Proteus
Thu Jul 21, 2005, 11:47 PM
Due to space restrictions, and to make it easier to maintain I am opting for the 4x2x2.

AussieStar
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 11:39 AM
if u want some cheap aqua basics, i got some, i put 10 bags of it into my 180 gall planted and trying to down size so u can have all of it for $200, only 3 months old and its full of root tabs and stuff

mcloughlin2
Sun Aug 07, 2005, 04:34 AM
When is the tank going to be designed...i mean like wen r we going to decide wat plants, gravel and other decorations r going to be choosen??? :ug

OscarManAlpha
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 01:53 PM
Anyone watching this should check out these rare pics.

And hold your jaws up, grap a towel and prepare to salivate.

http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0412a.php#2

I'm new to internet forums can somebody notify me if putting up this type of post is out of order.

If so let me apoligise to all in advance :oops:

OscarManAlpha
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 03:07 PM
Since you have chosen this project to be a thread on this site will it be a planted discus tank ? If so this would make a huge difference in the layout options. I'm going out on a limb here as I don't currently keep discus but have read they are slow eaters that like to graze off the bottem of the tank. This would mean leaving open grazing areas for them any thoughts ?

Gotta say this project has got me bigger than Kev excited !!!!!

Proteus
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 10:17 PM
Informational links are fine.

Amano's tanks are simply amazing.

At this stage it will be a planted tank with no inhabitants... (fish will be considered later)

otto
Thu Aug 11, 2005, 11:54 AM
Hi,
i know this is probably the wrong place to introduce myself, new to DF, but i find this topic/project very interesting as i run a 500L planted community tank with 6 Discus. I have had Discus off and on for the past 10 years, my current set-up is approx. 8 months old and doing well. I hope i may be of some assistance to you in creating your own little ecosystem.

Proteus
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 10:49 AM
Just an update.

The project is still going to be completed, however I have put it on hold temporarily.

Given that in the next month or so I will probably be moving, I think it would be a better idea to start from scratch at the new place, rather than get part way through the set-up, then have to dismantle and start again.

Discussions, and suggestions will still be discussed so once the tank is in its new home, it will be full steam ahead with no delays.

OscarManAlpha
Sat Sep 17, 2005, 01:14 PM
(duplicate post)

Shawnts106
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 01:18 AM
WOW! those Amano Tanks where so AWSOME!.... Some of them, its really hard to find the filtration!

Love his work... really tallented guy!

Lets all set up Amano Tanks... WHOS UP FOR IT! LOL!