PDA

View Full Version : Delema :(

AdelaideAnt
Sat Apr 24, 2004, 07:14 AM
I'm in a bit of a dilema. I have:

1 x 2'x 20" x 18" (Discus Breeding Tank)

1 x 3.5' x 20" x 18" (Adult Discus holding tank)

1x 5' x 18" x 18" (Tanganyikan Cichlid tank)

Im missing a Holding tank for youngins. The delema is the 5ft tank would do the job perfectly, but its got my beloved Princess cichlid breeders in there with lots of fry. I'm not allowed to buy a new tank :(. This means if i'm serious about my discus i'm going to have to get rid my princess :(. I don't know what to do :cry:, can someone talk me into doing somthing because this is stressing me out...lol.

Anthony :?:

flukes
Sat Apr 24, 2004, 08:58 AM
You shouldn't have asked this on a discus site, because my opinion would be, bye bye Princess's. heheh They had a pair of these go for $16 at the actions today, dont know what a breeding pair is realy worth but things were going cheap. Might have to advertise them in the classifed :lol:

AdelaideAnt
Sat Apr 24, 2004, 12:05 PM
Yea there not that expencive but that doesn't bother me. I bought these priness when they were teny tiny and raised them and 5 weeks ago they had there first clutch of little ones :D, now they've had several clutches and lots of little babies :D and the parents look awesome. It would mean that i would have gone to all the trouble of raising them and not even seing out raising the fry. It might mean that i just leave things as they are and not breed discus, but that isn't any fun. But i love my discus and still havn't made a decision, and princess are really not a challenge.

Anthony 8)

PS: I could sell them for around $15 each as a breeding pair, they are a little more expence as they are not your usual princess variation.

flukes
Sat Apr 24, 2004, 12:22 PM
Dont take me the wrong way i wasnt saying they are lesser of a fish because of thier price, i really dont know what they go for as i have never looked for them. I was just stating that at the auction today a pair went for that price, and that was an auction where things go very cheap. I seriously wouldnt have a clue what they are worth.
all comes down too what do you enjoy more?

jluna
Sat Apr 24, 2004, 08:07 PM
hey anthony -

when i was on the farm i had 12 large aviaries (the smallest was 3x2x2 metres) holding almost every type of australian finch, except the three that were restricted, and my aim was to breed every damn one of them because they were rare in the wild and needed looking after... i was part of a release programme for the national parks and wildlife service too, letting my little bubs go in controlled releases.

now i live in the inner city and would be happy with a cage and a pair of zebra finches (the guppy of finchland) just to hear the sound of babies calling for food...

...my point is, i suppose, that breeding an animal is the ultimate reward - but is it always necessary? i dont think discus are gonna move into "endangered" territory any time soon, and if your princesses keep you happy by breeding, aren't their babies just as cool as discus babies? life is life...

just my two cents worth...

justin

AdelaideAnt
Sun Apr 25, 2004, 12:17 AM
Hmmm you make a good point there justin, but i have a certain belief that when i have fish i want to give them the freedom of breeding, and when they have babies i want to give them all the chance in the world to survive. I bought high grade discus for breeding i think i would be silly not to take on the challenge now i have the fish. Hmmmm I think iv'e made a decision now, thanks for helping people. Just gotta find a good home for my Princess and Cylindricus.

Anthony 8)

PS: Sorry Flukes i did misunderstand you, no offence was taken :D

flukes
Sun Apr 25, 2004, 02:29 AM
Anthony, there are many online auction sites for selling fish and aquarium products. Doing it this way your likely to get a higher price as its an auction. Then again you might nt get any bids :shock: but its worth a try.

Cheers
Scott

Himbo
Sun Apr 25, 2004, 02:30 AM
Why don't you just sell them at your fish shop?

By the way, I stopped by your store the other day - one of the cleanest fish shops I've seen in
Adelaide! :) Bit far out of town though....

flukes
Sun Apr 25, 2004, 02:34 AM
Justin - I used to have finches, Ive been through every pet there is. I stopped keeping birds when somone stole 3 ring neck parrots worth $1500 each. And i had a pair of whites (which are the rarest) stolen too.
Kind of heart breaking. I looked in the trading post and asked pet stores if anyone was trying to sell them but i couldnt find them. I think they would have known they couldnt have sold them because if they did i would have found them as not many people are selling/breeding these birds. Also had love birds, but they died after a real cold winter.
Now iam down to fish and a couple of dogs.

jluna
Sun Apr 25, 2004, 06:17 AM
hey flukes -

white ringnecks - nice! i looked after a mate's lutino for a while, hand-reared. they are great birds. my dad kept parrots and cockies - major mitchells, princesses and rosellas mostly, while i did the finches.

and anthony, why didn't u say you'd bought stock to breed?? :roll: i keep my discus just cos they're beautiful - (although four of mine are fathered by ADA show winners!!) and i have no intention to breed them... good luck with whatever u decide!

justin

AdelaideAnt
Sun Apr 25, 2004, 10:53 PM
Yea ive sold my breeding pair privately for $50 and the rest are going into the shop today.

Himbo what day did you come in? I work on Sundays myself. Thanks for the compliments, glad you liked the shop. It is small but seems to do the job. Did you see our display discus? I love the red turques we have in the display tank :).

Anthony 8)