PDA

View Full Version : males fighting females

Crocky
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 12:01 AM
I have two of my breeding tanks where the males are giving the female a hard time,till the stage where there hiding up in the top corner of the tank.I have introduced another two females into one of the tanks yesterday but his giving them all a hard time.The other tank I left didnt think it was going to be a problem as they where just put in the tank a few weeks ago.They are a new pair which were in 4 foot tank with another two which had spawn before with no result,but they both spawn a couple day apart and pairing got wrigglers a bit quicker then I thought as that was the hole idea of two pair in one tank to see if there where any male.Tried to devide them but the wrigglers could get threw,parent where good just picked them up and spat them on there own nest(both pairs did this,so I moved them.At the moment out of my four pairs two as fighting one I split up as the wasnt 100% and the last are fine .

Thing I have done in the last couple of week differently

1 Moved one pair twice in a month,they never bonded in the community just the female layed eggs a few times and this fish was the one she seem to attract but didnt seem interested only when moved and after the other two spawned in the same tank.

2 Swaped some young discus which ended up getting sick and half died (no one from this forum) so treated all my tanks with para-cide ( external parasite treated) aswell metro in the food.Fish never came in contact with my fish luckerly as I was just about to move them after 5 weeks.

3 Made up a new batch of beef heart,this time I put prawn in it which is the first time for along time and noticed that my 9 month old fish fight like cat and dogs over it.

So could it be the male want to spawn or there just fighting over food or something else has anybody had these problem and what my next step.

Brad C

Crocky
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 09:52 AM
Nobody had any idea,so I moved one pair into 4 footer again with a devider and he started taken more notice of the other male and fell in love with the female again.After two days back in the 4 footer there spawned again.
With the other two I moved them to another togeather as I thought he might be fighting for his territory in the tank,seemed to have made a differents some fighting but also some dancing.

Brad c

Crocky
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 09:55 AM
Just finish last post and the other pair in the 4 foot tank are starting to clean there spawning site

Brad C

Crocky
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 09:56 AM
Just finish last post and the other pair in the 4 foot tank are starting to clean there spawning site

Brad C