PDA

View Full Version : Worms?

flukes
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 10:48 AM
Ok well i first noticed my PB with white stringy poo but know ive noticed it on the other two. To explain it more the feces come out in about 4-5 strings at once, when i first got them it would be one solid piece. There are also transparent parts along the feces. It seems to linger a lot more than the solid feces, as in it hard for them to push it out.

Does this sound like worms??

And what meds are needed.? Worm-Rid??

Cheers
Scott

jluna
Sat Apr 24, 2004, 08:42 AM
i'm interested too - i've just noticed some stringy white poo...whats the best medication here in aus? thanks,

justin

kevkoi
Sat Apr 24, 2004, 02:08 PM
Metronidazole if you can get it, octozin if you can still get it if you believe it's hexamita. Worm rid (praziquantel based meds) if you believe it is tape worm.

Annie
Sat Apr 24, 2004, 08:54 PM
Just as an FYI, Many time than not, stringy poo is not always worms. But in most cases it is a good indicator that something is wrong. But as I have said, just not always.

jamesmc
Wed Apr 28, 2004, 11:06 PM
Hi,

It's sounds like internal parasitic/dinoflagellete infection. This is quite common in discus especially if they have been fed contaminated food.

As Kev said, Metronidazole (flagyl) is the go with this. It's an antibiotic commonly used to treat humans. Thus, a doctor or nurse may be able to get some for you. (My mate who's a nurse gets me some from time to time). It can be put straight into the water, crushed up and in a small quaratine tank. Or you may be able to put it in the food. It's a fairly safe drug.

Just to be on the safe side, AFTER this treatment, (ie when you have new fresh water in the QT tank), medicate with Prazi, just in case it's worms.

I have a special interest in fish disease, especially flukes. So I fyou need any advice, i'll try and help out.

Remeber if you feed blood worms, in my opinion you should be only using Hikari.

James

flukes
Thu Apr 29, 2004, 09:44 AM
I thought frozen it didn't matter? I do feed bloodworms and they are not Hikari. I need to do some googling and see what symptoms , match what it could be.

jamesmc
Fri Apr 30, 2004, 01:59 AM
Yes, it does matter. Freezing will not kill certain pathogens, and it's very common for Discus to succumb to illness, quite often after eating bloodworms. Many discus owners have made this mistake. If you do decide to feed feed bloodworms etc in the future, make sure they come from a reliable source, and in my view, only feed those with sterilisation procedures, like Hikari. I've never had a problem with this brand. The good use is, is that Flagyl will, in most cases, cure the illness.

Good luck,

James

chrissyoscar
Sat May 08, 2004, 10:35 PM
So octozin is good for Hexamita. That's great as I have heaps of it and from what I've been reading Hexamita is common and leathal if not treated.
The octozin is 12mths old any idea how long it keeps.

Thanks.. Oscar
Metronidazole if you can get it, octozin if you can still get it if you believe it's hexamita

flukes
Sun May 09, 2004, 11:59 AM
Couple of questions, will Metronidazole (flagyl) effect biological filtration and also the ammo balls have carbon in them yeah? Id have to remove them before treating iam guessing. And one other thing can i treat in a tank with cory's and bn's.

Cheers
scott

jamesmc
Mon May 10, 2004, 12:47 AM
Flagyl won't effect biological filter.

Remove everything other than the filter media before medicating. Do 1 huge water change before medicating as well. I'm unsure what the active ingredient with Octozin is. No papers, as far as i'm aware have ever been released. So I can't comment on this med.
Stick to flagyl as the first line of defence with regards to white poo.

james

flukes
Mon May 10, 2004, 01:36 PM
It has to be the blood worms iam feedingthem but i cant find hiraki blood worms only brine shrimp. Anyone used those "Today" freeze dried products?? They the same method as the hiraki??

DiscusMan
Sun May 16, 2004, 03:39 AM
At a recent ADA meeting.

Some people from Monaco aquariums came along. They bought along a box of Worms that they said are treated the same as the Ikari worms, only they where a lot cheaper.

Monaco aqua is at Canley vale. Give them a call and see what they have got. Assuming you are in Sydney :)

Wayne

flukes
Sun May 16, 2004, 04:58 AM
Melbourne....

Proteus
Sun May 16, 2004, 06:16 AM
I have a couple of Foam boxes in the freezer of those worms (they were on special, I couldnt resist).

They are Resun brand (same as the equipment)

the Average Analysis of the BW's is;

Crude Protein (5.9%min)
Crude Fat (0.8%min)
Crude Fiber (1.0%max)
Moisture (90.0%max)

They are in 100g blocks with 24 individual bubbles, and are packaged 12 to the foam box...

:wink: