PDA

View Full Version : cardinals and water changes

skoom
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 02:06 AM
Are cardinals affected by daily water changes? I've figured they aren't the toughest fish around.

I have no problems with ammonia, nitrites and nitrates... but a few of them have just dropped off... =( I've had them for a week now.

T 28C

Neons are a much cheaper alternative... has anyone had any success with neons at 28C temp?

weird
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 02:35 AM
Others may have a differing experience, but neons, cardinals and rummynose are not the most long living fish at least in my tanks.

I have had success with almost all my other guys (I still have most of mixed group of community guys I got when I started 2 years ago) , but I seem to buy the smaller tetra types in groups ... and slowly they whither away to only a fewer longer living ones ...

Shawnts106
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 04:01 AM
yes cardinals are extremly sensitive to water quality changes.. esspecially sudden changes! lately here in the US we have been getting imported wild caught cardinals that have fish Tuburculosis... aka FISH TB!.. not exactly the best thing to get in a tank.. with the stress from shipping... they seem to just die off really quick.. its really sad!

kills them very quickly and if you notice that one is not eatting that makes it worse and he will soon die!

hope everything is ok!

merman
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 02:11 AM
My neon tetras are going fine have had them for 6 months at 25-27degrees

Dave76
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 03:21 AM
I've had good luck with cardinals & rummys - one of my community tanks still has 9 of 11 cardys & 7 of 8 rummys going on 3 years now in there. Maybe I just got a good batch.

skoom
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 07:22 AM
Just as I thought, they aren't the toughest fish around.

I have 10 (of 10) neons, 2 (of 2)black neons and 2 (of 10) cardinals. Maybe I'll do a prospective study and see how long they survive.

I'll post my results in a couple of months....or earlier if less than ideal circumstances arise.