PDA

View Full Version : has anybody bought online?

DiscusMad
Wed Apr 21, 2004, 02:49 PM
I have found a site selling discus and they say that they ship them out and you recive the same day has anybody tryed buying online?

http://www.exoticdiscus.com/default.htm

Annie
Wed Apr 21, 2004, 06:22 PM
I have not. I am sure many have, with good results.
But, I just cannot see spending the HUGE shipping, especially with most there is no guarentee that they will be live and healthy. This is why I am still with out to melons or marlboros as of yet. The place I get them from onlyy orders a couple times of year. So, what should of been here in Jan-Feb, I am still waiting on. But at least I know that I will have a healthy fish and if not, it will be totally refundable.

Proteus
Wed Apr 21, 2004, 10:51 PM
DiscusMad, where are you from...

Discus can be shipped and happens more often than you probably expect.

I strongly recommend all of the sponsors here, in particular SLS as a lot of care goes into the shipping methods, and as per feedback by members on these forums, the quality of the fish has made some customers very happy.

flukes
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 02:37 AM
I orded through SLS first for my first batch and iam glad i did. For sure i was a bit scared and expected deaths (ask Kev what a pain i was) But they all came safely and meeted more than my expectations.

Exotic Discus is in QLD, where about are you?? If i was in Sydney i wouldnt bother, id just go to SLS but because iam in Melbourne interstate purchases are a must.

Himbo
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 08:50 AM
I've bought from exoticdiscus.com. I wouldn't buy from there again.

The prices are cheap. The discus arrived healthy and on time.

BUT

1/ one is currently in bad shape and has been so since about two weeks after arrival - not sure if it's my fault or just a bad discus. I've tried everything, it just won't eat. All the other discus I have are fine.

2/ the discus are not as well shaped as I've seen elsewhere

3/ they started peppering up - to be fair, not sure if it's my hardish adelaide water and different conditions

4/ the pictures on his website are misleading - you ask for one, you may end up with something totally different. The fish I got from him were also not that great in terms of markings, but that may just be a sign of their immaturity. Even so, I've seen similar sized fish with better markings at the LFS (see below).

5/ because I dared to ask if I could get a discount (from $314 to $300) and my name was asian sounding, I was labelled as being "another bloody asian" - this was over the phone, and I can speak and write in English better than most. Not good customer service.

So in my experience I wouldn't waste my money. I bought these fish when I was relatively new to discus (I still am, I've just done more reading), so I thought a live fish was all that was mattered. I mean, why pay $150-$200 when you can get them for $75, delivered to your door?

Having said the above, my LFS gets some of his fish from the same person, and some of them look very nice - but if you were the wholesaler, would you send poor quality Discus to a person who buys thousands of dollars worth from you regularly? I doubt it. But to him, I was a nobody.

I am currently seriously considering buying from some of the regulars at this forum; I hope I won't be dissapointed. My recent purchases however have only been at the LFS where I can see and observe the fish.

(some content edited - Admin)

flukes
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 10:25 AM
Speak to Kev, even after all the praise on here i was still sceptical. The thing is id rather pay $200 for a $150 fish if i know its going to be the best quality i could get. Like the Red scorpion snakeskin i got from Kev, i actually had a local breeder selling these for $40 but i got it from Kev for $55 because of quality reasons and i wasnt disappointed.
I havent dealt with exotic discus, but luckly i had heard stories about them while looking for great discus.
I think it all depends on what you want, i wouldnt sacrifice quality for saving a few bucks.
And Quality = SLS (Kev & George)

Scott

DiscusMad
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 12:49 PM
Thanks Himbo will keep that in mind haven't bought from the site it just had that doggy feel about it and was wondering.

Proteus I'm from Sydney been looking for a while now and haven't found a great varity of discus in the southern suburbs that i like

But still i look lol

Proteus
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 12:51 PM
Himbo, I edited some of the content in your post to protect both yourself and the site. Whilst I am usually against Store bashing, you have made points for and against what happenned which is fair, and as for the comment made to you, That will not be tolerated, whoever said that should be ashamed of themselves and maybe should learn some basics about the fundamentals of "Good Customer Service".

On the subject of whether you would be dudded again, from somewhere else, I will personally gaurantee you that you will only recieve the best quality Discus from any of the sponsors here...

My first suggestion would be to give George or Kev a call at SLS and I am sure they will look after you, or if one of the other sponsors is closer, drop in or call them and you will be given the respect you deserve.

Proteus
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 12:53 PM
DiscusMad... 2 options for you...

SLS at Kingsford

or

Xtreme at Taren Point (only a limited range at this stage)

kevkoi
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 02:32 PM
DiscusMad,
Penshurst, is not so far away from us at Kingsford... We have guys driving down from Newcastle, Wollongong, Central Coast to be the first to see the fish when they are released from quarantine and today, our first interstate in-shop customer from Melbourne for Discus!

Drop by over the weekend, and u WILL NOT be dissapointed with the Discus we have there in the shop!! It gets crowded (VERY crowded) on the weekends, so maybe if you want to hang around, get our full attention and chat about discus and fish in general, drop by on the weekdays (ur best bet is b4 noon to speak to George), or on Wed when I am there all afternoon.

Currently we have about 200pieces of discus in the shop with excellent shape and colour. If anyone has any complaints about the quality or health of the fish you see us sell, please let me know!

We've just gone thru approx 60+ discus in the last 2 weeks and I'm putting together another discus order for 3 weeks time (MORE HOT FISH COMING!!). Whatever your "Dream Discus" is, THIS is the time to let me know. I have family in Penang (who are avid breeders and showers themselves) who will scout all the farms and hand pick the fish you've been dreaming of for perfect shape and excellent colour!

Drop by to see for yourself....
632, Anzac Pde
Kingsford, NSW 2032
(crn of Botany St)

tel:93155288 <--- just in case u get lost, which is quite unlikely. :lol:

We are also currently doing a bit of renovation to the shop. We are adding an extra 48tanks, so hopefully when that's completed, we may have even MORE discus!!!

kev

DiscusMad
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 09:25 PM
SOLD!

er well I'm working a few shifts this week which i'm not happy about day light sux when you just work nights.

Will come and look at the store some time soon

How long have you been at that location cause must of missed it when i lived in Randwick (SOB SNIF)

pyro
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 11:10 PM
SLS is definetly worth a look. High Quality discus at reasonable prices for the quality. If you are in Sydney you might want to come along to a Discus Association meeting. There are several high quality fish for sale at most meetings.
Meetings are held on the fourth Saturday of each month

kevkoi
Fri Apr 23, 2004, 12:53 AM
SLS has been at that location for 2 years. However, we have only in the last 6months had our own quarantine room and gone sourcing for good quality imports from all over the world.

It's only a small shop front, but more fish per square meter than any other fish shop in Sydney! 8)

kev

PS: we MAY be bringing some more 'exotic' discus at reasonable prices down to the meeting next month.

pyro
Fri Apr 23, 2004, 03:04 AM
I better make sure my wallet is full of cash for the meeting then

Proteus
Fri Apr 23, 2004, 06:04 AM
FYI, the next ADA meeting is tomorrow night (Saturday the 24th)

7.30pm...

kevkoi
Fri Apr 23, 2004, 07:20 AM
No, George and I won't be able to make it for this Discus meeting, but we are planning on going for the NEXT discus meeting.

Enjoy yourselves at the meeting 2morrow......

kev

flukes
Fri Apr 23, 2004, 09:30 AM
Damn wish i could go, ahh well for all melbournians tommorow (Sunday 24th) is the EDAS auctions, normally not many discus are sold but you may be lucky, I think if there was they wouldnt bethat cheap because everyone will be bidding for them. Hopefully ill be picking up some pepp bn's again, if they are cheap enough.

Cheers
Scott

jamesmc
Wed Apr 28, 2004, 11:28 PM
Hi,

I recently met Kev down at SLS, and I was impressed with his courtesy, knowledge and of course quality of fish! So I too can recommend this shop. I once bought off the same place in QLD spoken about in this thread, and I too was somewhat disapointed with the quality. I personally wouldn't recommend these fish, although the owner was always courteous to me.

DiscusMad
Fri Apr 30, 2004, 06:07 PM
Cool shop SLS love the discus on sale they look better than most places I have been to and had to buy one while I was there cause it was off pay week I couldn't get more but the little sucker that I had my eye on was very keen to come home with me it swam right up to the front of the tank for easy catching lol!

Proteus
Fri Apr 30, 2004, 07:56 PM
the little sucker that I had my eye on was very keen to come home with me it swam right up to the front of the tank for easy catching lol!

They have a habit of doing that over there...

must be something George puts in the water...

:D

kevkoi
Sun May 02, 2004, 12:21 PM
Gee DiscusMad, which fish did you get? Don't think I was in the shop when you bought the discus....

Have no fear, there will be 250 more discus in the shop in a month's time. We're already running very low on discus stocks atm.

Glad you liked our fish. Next time come earlier when the new shipment comes out. U will have way too many choices and too many great fish to oggle at. :wink:

kev

PS: and there will be 48more tanks of fish up and running! :P

Jonesy
Wed May 05, 2004, 03:16 AM
any how is looking to buy any fish i would sergest sls thay ar always very helpfull and have the biggist discus range i have seen ai any fish shop in sydney

DiscusMad
Wed May 05, 2004, 01:50 PM
I got a red Turquoise I was there with my 5yo who thought it was great cause he loves seeing the Discus more than other fish lol