PDA

View Full Version : A sneak peak into Apistogramma sp to come....

kevkoi
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 08:17 AM
Although Apistogramma fever has yet to hit Australia in a big way, it has gathered momentum over in Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Europe and USA.

Here are just a few pictures to jolt Australian fish hobbyist into what they are missing out on.....

oh, plus I'm working on bringing these beauties into Australia.

These fish come from the same region as discus and are excellent additions to planted community tanks.

kevkoi
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 08:21 AM
other apistos making their way in for the first time...

skoom
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 01:13 PM
How big do these fish grow to?

kevkoi
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 03:25 PM
5-7cm

weird
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 10:13 PM
I think Apistogramma fever has probably just hit =)

merman
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 02:35 AM
Can you keep several dwarf species together? How would dwarfs go with a female Krib?

kevkoi
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 09:03 AM
You can keep several species in one tank together although it is advisable not to keep the different variants of one species mixed together..

Example, there is Apistogramma agassizi "double red", A.agassizi "Tefe Blue tail", A.agassizi "Santerem red head" etc etc..... they are all essentially the same species (agassizi), but their colour variation and location differentiates them apart. If kept in the same tank, they will cross-breed and you would have lost the purity of the strain. In short you would have ruined the fish as Apistogramma keepers value the distinct colour variation from location to location.

However say you keep A.agassizii and A.cactuoides in a big enough tank, I have yet to see these 2 different species hybridise so I would say cautiously that it should be ok.

I would not recommend keeping a kribensis with Apistogramma. U can keep cardinal tetras, various tetras, Discus, corydoras, with Apistogramma (come from same waters).

Proteus
Wed Jul 27, 2005, 05:47 AM
Just thought you might like to know...

It wont be long until we launch an all new forum.

DwarfCichlidForums.com

:wink:

Sime76
Thu Jul 28, 2005, 02:01 AM
Top stuff :D :D :D

Ben
Sun Aug 07, 2005, 09:17 AM
Looking forward to the new DwarfCichlidForums.com

How many sleeps till the launch Proteus?

Ben

Proteus
Sun Aug 07, 2005, 09:51 AM
we are still working on things...

hopefully soon though

mcloughlin2
Sun Aug 07, 2005, 10:20 AM
I cant wait *starts smiling an rubbing hands together*....im gettin some rams soon as the LFS finishes extending an gets all new fish.... :blob2 :blob2 yeahhhhh

mcloughlin2
Sun Aug 07, 2005, 10:23 AM
Hi proteus can u post the time an day this new site opens wen u find out plz....

Proteus
Sun Aug 07, 2005, 10:31 AM
an announcement will be made.

mcloughlin2
Mon Aug 08, 2005, 08:30 AM
Cool thanks...

Ben
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 12:14 PM
Just thought you might like to know...

It wont be long until we launch an all new forum.

DwarfCichlidForums.com

nudge, bump and nudge again!

:P

Sorry Proteus just very excited!
:D

Ben

BillyBlanks22
Mon Aug 22, 2005, 12:13 PM
Apistos rock! Nothing like seeing a mother in bright yellow brood colouration with her swarm of fry :lol: