PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Present Surprise - Help

benanddebbie
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 12:27 AM
I am planning to buy a complete CO2 system for hubby's birthday.

But I am unsure as what brand is better or what exactly I am looking for. If anyone can help with info or recommendations I would love to hear.

Thanks in advance

Debbie

Fishpimpin73
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 01:40 AM
How much you wanna spend?

What size tank?

DR.V
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 09:00 AM
sera ?? the complete set with the computer thing is about $950 .... hehehe is that too much ??

kalebjarrod
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 10:22 AM
tank specs would be great

size
lighting
plants
any thing else you could tell us

that way we can make sure you don't over or under buy :wink:

Proteus
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 11:22 AM
The Sera system is good up to 400L

VERY good value for money

benanddebbie
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 01:17 PM
Guess I should have thought about posting specs sorry.....

Looking to get him co2 for our

SIZE: 6x2x2

INHABITANTS: discus, clown loaches, rummy noses, bristle noses, cardinals, black phantom tetras

TYPE: Heavily planted with river sand substrate

LIGHTING: Metal halide 3x 150 W 5000 k

FILTRATION: 2 fluval cannisters

HEATING: currently 2 internal heaters but we are purchasing two hydor external heaters in the near future.

Anything else???

Oh Yeah two 30 cm long air stones at back of tank

Deb

DR.V
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 03:33 PM
thats a very big tank ... how about Dupla CO2 setup ??

Trebs
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 06:52 AM
I'd say it would be worth looking into getting a CO2 cylinder from an alternate source (home brew store etc) and then ordering a good quality needle and solinoid. This would give you a system capable of handling a large tank and should be cheaper than the branded setups. Also check the price of refills, and be careful some of the cylinders in the branded setups are disposable. This means a higher ongoing cost. You really need to do your research on this one.

www.plantedtank.net would be a good place to start. Also check for older posts on this forum, I believe there was a useful link to Beronia Aquarium's forum.

Best to ditch the airstones on a planted tank too.

kalebjarrod
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 08:12 AM
even try looking online for milwukee co2 systems from the states

the exchange rate plus the fact there cheap makes them reasonable

Davo
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 10:40 AM
You can get Milwaukee products over here. I cannot remember where but I will do a bit of research and see if I can find out. The price was very reasonable.

Dave.

Sime76
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 11:34 AM
Try Here
http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/

I bought the all-in-one regulator from them.

Sime

benanddebbie
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 01:33 PM
All the systems I have looked at have said cylinder not included. Where would I get a CO2 bottle from? How big do I need to go for a 6x2x2 tank?

vishy
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 01:55 PM
For a tank that size probably easiest to rent one from BOC gases the smallest D size food grade i think is about $90 a year and will last for ages,
Matt

kalebjarrod
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 10:47 PM
yeah i have one of those cylinder for my beer gas

Proteus
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 11:07 PM
did you just say you have gas Ryan?

oops, resume topic

kalebjarrod
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 02:47 AM
yep, both sorts

benanddebbie
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 09:48 AM
..... [Best to ditch the airstones on a planted tank too. ]

why is this??

[/quote]

vishy
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 01:22 PM
Usually you want to keep as much oxygen in the water as possible and get rid of carbon dioxide to keep the fish happy and the airstone provides surface movement letting gas exchange occur with the air. In a planted you want the co2 left in the water so the plants can photosynthesise and produce oxygen, air stones will get rid of this carbon dioxide which is a bad thing, if that makes sense
matt

benanddebbie
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 11:41 AM
Well I am now looking at getting a fully automated Co2 system minus the bottle. It is a Tunze system for about $930. Does this sound OK? Does anyone have any comments about Tunze or used it before?

revkev
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 11:49 AM
Hi have alook at this site http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/fcontroller.html
pH/CO2 CONTROLLER SMS122 $240.25
REGULATOR MR957 $229.30
Revkev

DR.V
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 12:43 PM
Hows the surprise going on ??

benanddebbie
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 02:37 AM
The tunze system I am looking at has.....

Co2 regulator
Magnetic valve
Diffuser/Reactor
Silicon tubing
Ph Controller
Ph electrode ( glass)
Check valve and
Calibration solution

Is that all I need??

benanddebbie
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 02:40 AM
Dr V the surprise is going well as long as I know what I am buying. Either way I am sure he will be wrapt.

For those of you who have Co2 what PH did you have on your tank before putting Co2 on?

benanddebbie
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 04:51 AM
Ok.....more questions.....

I have two options in regards to the actual CO2 bottle. I can rent per year and pay for refills. Or I have the option of buying the bottle outright refilling free.

Does anyone have any comment sor experience as to which option is best?

Again thanks for all your help

Debbie

Trebs
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 05:54 AM
What price are you looking at all up?

Dave76
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 07:41 AM
Hi Debbie

I went down the rent & refill option as I've got a big tank (900l) and refilling the smaller bottles every couple of months would be a pain - I last had a refill August last year.

Dave

benanddebbie
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 12:04 PM
In regards to filling smaller bottles. What are the ramifications of taking a bottle off for a day or two to get refilled? What happens with the Ph? How will the plants and disucs handle the change?

Trebs all up for the tunze system (as in previous post) about $930 minus bottle.

vishy
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 02:21 PM
Yeh it won't be a good idea taking co2 off the tank even for a few hours as the pH will go up very quickly!!! Best way will probably to rent a medium sized bottle as they don't need to be refilled nearly as much as the tiny ones you can buy, pH will be relative to your kH co2 should be kept around 30 ppm, use the charts on the net http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm
is quite good, so work out your kH and line it up with 30 or so ppm of co2 and that will tell you what your pH should be set at if your using a pH controller,
Matt

benanddebbie
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 10:25 PM
May have to rent two bottles then.... it will take a full day for us to get one refilled. A good 8 hours driving alone.

Dave76
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 12:45 AM
If you have a pressure gauge on the gas bottle & depending on how often you past whereever you would need refills from, when may be able to pay a holding deposit or something & get a 2nd bottle when your 1st one is running low, swap them over, then return the empty when you are next going that way - that way no time without CO2.

I think that makes sense......;) Would save you having to rent 2 bottles & have one sitting idle most of the time - you'd need to check with the place hiring tho obviously - just a thought :)

Dave

kalebjarrod
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 10:31 AM
you can just get the soliendoid to slow the co2 down for a few weeks before you change it over