PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine matters....

Ben
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 07:58 AM
I was thinking about you people who import fish, After a batch of fish has been in quarantine and released, how does it work with the filters?

What i mean is as far as i know they have to be sterilized, this would make the filter media void of all good bacteria so hence no cycling....

I am guessing that there would be a lot of water changes to the fish in quarantine, how much and how often?

And last question, the quarantine water would have to be treated some how? how would you go about that?

Just thought of some intersting questions that i do not know and thought others might be intersted!

Cheers,

Ben

Fishpimpin73
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 01:28 PM
hrmmmm

As I can only speak for myself........

I used to have a QT tank that was setup and always running, with or without fish in it.
When there was no one calling it home there was no media in it.

Well after awhile I took that tank down, so I could setup another breeder :P

Now, when I have imports coming I just setup a full on sterile environment.
Start from scratch using established media from another system.

No problems to speak of as of yet :wink:

As far as treatments and water go.........................

It really depends on the fish and what you are treating it for.

Most of the time my fish have to be completely "innoculated", taking several different rounds of meds, and sometimes meaning they stay in QT for a month or two.
WC Freq also is dictated by treatments.
Some treatments req daily or more WC's, where as others only req WC's every few days.

After the fish are ready to go to thier ( hopefully ) permanent home, the tank gets a full blown carbon treatment ( to clear out the meds ) and then broke down and put away.

Or sometimes I just throw plant cuttings in them :wink: