PDA

View Full Version : cloudy water...

jluna
Wed Apr 21, 2004, 09:26 AM
just noticed over the last two days that my water is a little milky - everything is as per usual water-wise, and the fish are in immaculate health. my CO2 isn't on at the mo - ran out of puff about a week ago and haven't gotten round to replenishing it...

any ideas re the cloudy water?

thanks,

justin

Mattzilla
Wed Apr 21, 2004, 01:53 PM
stick a small mesh bag filled with carbon in there and that may help...

Annie
Wed Apr 21, 2004, 06:26 PM
how long has the tank been up?
They changes with no C02 amy have caused a change in the tank, so maybe it is a mini bacterial bloom?

luvfishies
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 01:55 AM
KateStJohn over at www.plantgeeks.com or www.fishgeeks.com would know this one.

It's to do with minute particulates precipitating out due to the slight pH/KH shift, if I remember rightly. I wouldn't worry about it if the fish aren't stressed. I would also get that CO2 up and running again ASAP!

jluna
Sat Apr 24, 2004, 12:23 AM
thanks guys -

i put a bag of carbon in the cannister filter, got the CO2 up again, and all is right as rain.

justin

Gone Fishing
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hi All,
I read these and remember the white mist I had to deal with.
It's a funny one for you fish fanatics out there. :lol:

My son, when he was about three, got adventuress one day and got it into his head that he can make his own snow. :wink:
I was woken up early by my wife one morning, thankfully Saturday, to hear that my son had put about 70gms of white sugar into the fish tank. :roll:
I instantly did a 30% water change. All seemed fine then a day later he did it again! :shock:
After a swift reprimand I cleaned up and did a 50% water change. Again, all OK on health front. :)

The next day or two he did it again!!! :o :shock: :evil: You know I tried to contain myself and remember, he is a boy and I'm sure I did some crazy things like this, but I had to let out just a little scream, when I looked at the top filter trays and found them to be covered in goo from the sugar and also having to clean them thoroughly. :twisted:

I was very concerned for I only had one tank and was keeping all the fish (4-8cm discus and a bunch of other fish) in a 20 ltr bucket with only an air stone and heater to keep them company, so it was a race against time, but surprising they all seemed ok enough, until later all the small fish (tetras, rummy nose, and small congo's) died. I think I left them in the tank with the deadly mist too long.

Throughout the whole debacle I came off pretty good considering. Sure, later I lost a nice checkerboard pigeon blood :( due to some intestinal infection, but seeing all the fish had go through a TOTAL tank cycling process, it's really amazing any survived at all! :o

Still, you've got to look back and laugh. Boys will be boys. :wink: